Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the fuel tank off to check the air filter and the top of the ignition coil was covered in what looked to be engine oil. Kind of perplexed as to how it would have gotten there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Was the bike over filled with oil and it spit it out of the air filter maybe?

·
Registered
784 Posts
TNXR is pretty much on. For some reason these machines didn't read the Owners Manual, and at times like a little less oil.
OK, how it got there. See all those tubes running around under the tank and the front of the seat? Make sure they are clear and connected. Mine spit it out in about the same place when overfilled. It was on the oil stick marks, but dripping oil, and during the time of the porous castings that was concerning. These are vents if you haven't already figured it out, and they can move slightly really giving you headaches if you aren't looking for them.
I took out 4 Oz, and never saw it again, so I made my own "full" mark on the stick and run with it.
Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think so. The inside of the tunnel/ frame is dry around the throttle body. Cant imagine that being dry with as much oil was on the coil. I'm not talking a drop or two...the coil was covered on top.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It didn't go from or through the filter box. It came from the vent lines under the tank. Look around, they can be hard to spot the ends.
Even if all is perfect, that is still the exit point and residual can collect. Yea it shouldn't but it is what it is.
cheers

·
13,188 Posts
Truckerman

what year and model bike do you have. With out that information you will not get a good answer

·
Registered
182 Posts
Funny, I just noticed the same thing, 2012 CCT bike with 9600 miles on it is going to dealer Tuesday so I wrote them this note. And my oil is at the proper line also.

While cleaning the bike the other day I noticed a lot of grease or oil residual above the cheese wedge on the left side (key wedge) on what looks like the coil and can't figure out where it came from. Put 200+ miles on it since and its still clean. Any idea and where it could have came from? Could it of been protective grease from the factory?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Truckerman

what year and model bike do you have. With out that information you will not get a good answer
lol yeah cause the engines on these bikes are very different from model to model. :D

There is a vent tube that would be different but none the less, same issue.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
And make sure you either change your own oil or really trust your mechanic/dealer. Dealer put 1qt too much at my 500 mile service causing oil to come out of the primary cover and air filter. I have found my bike likes to be around .5 qt lower than is called for.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
you can't see the area where the oil comes from the vent hose, and dead on full is over full if you do a lot of highway riding
Found this to be true. I typically found 4 quarts works fine but I do think a bit less might work also as I do still get a little oil on long rides at interstate speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts