Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I really need your help. I was riding home from work (25mi ride), and a block from home, the bike got stuck in one gear - I think.

I cannot shift to neutral, no matter what I try. Once I start the motor, it runs fine, until I begin to release the clutch. Once I release the clutch, the RPM drops, and the engine stalls.

To get her home, I only slighly released the clutch, giving the wheel enough power to roll home (5-10mph) and gave it a tiny bit of throttle to keep the RPMs high enough to get her moving. To my limited knowledge, I think she's stuck in a higher gear (3rd perhaps). Now she's home. What do I check? Any ideas?

By the way, it was 95°F today, and have ridden the whole 25mi in constant acceleration/deceleration as part of my break-in. Did she overheat? Is it normal for her to stay in some strange gear? When I release the clutch, partly, the instrument cluster did display various gears, such as 3, 2, and 1.

Please help with any input you might be able to provide. Thank you!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Check your shifter and shift linkage rod and make sure it isn't binding on anything.

It sounds like you are stuck in gear.

Also forget about trying to find Neutral for now. Try and take her through the gears while sitting still.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your shifter and shift linkage rod and make sure it isn't binding on anything.

It sounds like you are stuck in gear.

Also forget about trying to find Neutral for now. Try and take her through the gears while sitting still.
Not sure I can take her through gears, thanks to the Neutral Assist feature, but I'll go inspect some more. When I try shifting, I hear the tranny "clank" - I'll try to move it up and down and see if it gets me anywhere.

Btw, should I wait 'till she cools off before I attempt anything, or that doesn't matter?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks diamond! I sat on her, and just switched gears up and down, and neutral showed up! I think she's back to normal. Is getting stuck in gear common? Have I done something wrong to cause this? This is my first time being stuck in gear. Please advise.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shift linkage looks OK to the naked eye, from the outside at least. I just took he for a spin, and it happened again. While decelrating, I came to a stop, and couldn't get it back into neutral again. So I turned off the motor, and tapped up and then down a few times, and it went to neutral. So it doesn't want to go to neutral while running?

Will check fluids as soon as she cools off a little...

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You should get it back to the dealer.Something is wrong.Your transmission is suppose to be smooth shifting in the new bikes.That was a big improvement this year.Even the older bikes don't get stuck in gear as far as I've seen.My Kingpin has a hard time finding neutral when hot,but never sticks in any gear.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
You should get it back to the dealer.Something is wrong.Your transmission is suppose to be smooth shifting in the new bikes.That was a big improvement this year.Even the older bikes don't get stuck in gear
+100 on that

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but are you downshifting to first gear when coming to a stop. I've noticed a bit of trans issue if I, say, come off the freeway and don't steadily downshift while slowing down and coming to a stop. The first time it happened I was a little surprised but not much. My HD does the same thing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
VTX's and GW do that at times but mostly the vtx retro's.
Take a can of WD40 and spray it at the lower/upper linkage where the joints are. If it is dry they can hang the shifter. Make sure the WD40 gets into the joints real good. Let us know if it helps. First check the oil.

With the engine running (after checking the oil) and lubing the joints. Let the clutch out some so the transmission will be turning and see if it will change.

If setting still the clutch will separate but with the transmission not turning the forks can hang.
That is why it is suggested to down shift as you are stopping.

just a thought

dd

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so as I mentioned, today was record high temps (95°F), and I have not spared the bike from a strenous 25mi of continuous acceleration and deceleration. It was in the back of my mind that I could overheat it. I'm guessing that could be part of the problem.

When it happened the first time, I'm not sure if I did downshift through the gears as I came to the stop. Since it was the first time it happened, I didn't pay attention, and it took me by surprise. The second time I took the bike for the test ride, i did downshift through the gears for sure... went from 5th to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. Then I pulled in the clutch, and was completely stopped. Pulled up on the shifter, and I was still in 1st. I tried two more times, then I shut her off. With the engine off, I tapped down a few times, then up a few times, and Neutral showed up.

I will follow your advise and go check oil right now, and give it some wd40 as some of you suggested.

Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The XC/XR bikes require a little more of a firmer lift or push for it to go into another gear. If you are stopped and attempting to change gears they can be a problem getting them to change.

Then I pulled in the clutch, and was completely stopped. Pulled up on the shifter, and I was still in 1st. I tried two more times, then I shut her off. With the engine off, I tapped down a few times, then up a few times, and Neutral showed up.
From your description above you were sitting still. Which can cause

If setting still the clutch will separate but with the transmission not turning so the forks can hang.
That is why it is suggested to down shift as you are stopping
Let out on the clutch slightly to the point the bike starts to move then pull the clutch in and change the gear.

It may take you a while to get the hang of it. I do not think you have a problem with the bike, I think it is riders error

just a thought

dd

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Also; don't worry about the heat. These bikes can handle the heat just fine. I broke mine in when it was over 110 degrees. It got hot around the inner thighs if I ran it hard from stop light to stop light but otherwise did great.

They test these bikes around here because of the heat. They hire people to ride the bikes for 8 hours a day riding in all kinds of conditions. HD does the same thing here. There's a test track about 45 minutes away (in Yucca off I-40) as well.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It may take you a while to get the hang of it. I do not think you have a problem with the bike, I think it is riders error
I think so too. I think it's me. Could've been tired (had a long day at work) and combine that with inexperience and problems show up out of nowhere :D

Btw, checked engine oil (did you guys mean for me to check tranny oil?) and it looks good. Lubed the shifter linkage with wd40 even though it did look clean as new. While stopped, it clicks in N and in 1st without any problem. Will ride it again in the morning, and see if I got better at shifting. :ltr:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also; don't worry about the heat. These bikes can handle the heat just fine. I broke mine in when it was over 110 degrees. It got hot around the inner thighs if I ran it hard from stop light to stop light but otherwise did great.

They test these bikes around here because of the heat. They hire people to ride the bikes for 8 hours a day riding in all kinds of conditions. HD does the same thing here. There's a test track about 45 minutes away (in Yucca off I-40) as well.
Good to hear. Sounds like I'll pass out from heat exhaustion before the bike does. cheers

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you.

Is the problem that you cannot find NEUTRAL?

Or

Does the bike get STUCK in a gear as you titled the thread?

There is a huge difference between not being able to find neutral and being STUCK in a gear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
shifting

Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.:confused:

Gee, Crossroads......just wondering what you have ridden in the past. Sounds like you have taken a huge step forward & will have a lot of things to get used to! I have a 2011 XC & she shifts a lot smoother than my old Jap bike.

Good luck!
JOKERMAN

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you.

Is the problem that you cannot find NEUTRAL?

Or

Does the bike get STUCK in a gear as you titled the thread?

There is a huge difference between not being able to find neutral and being STUCK in a gear.
It was in some higher gear (3rd or higher), the first time it happened. And I could not downshift it to to neutral or first. But then once you commented to just move it through the gears, I've done so with the engine turned off, and eventually she popped in neutral. It felt like a high gear because the bike would stall if I tried to let the clutch out and roll with it. Maybe I didn't downshift at the previous stop, and thinking I was in 1st, I was waiting for the green light with the clutch pulled.

I'm sorry for the confusing threat, but you gotta remembered I'm confused too, so how can I post a clear thread?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did I mention this is my first bike with manual transmision?! Don't assume it's the bike - it could be me doing something wrong. I usually do downshift through the gears, but will keep myself in check to make sure I don't forget to do so.:confused:

Gee, Crossroads......just wondering what you have ridden in the past. Sounds like you have taken a huge step forward & will have a lot of things to get used to! I have a 2011 XC & she shifts a lot smoother than my old Jap bike.

Good luck!
JOKERMAN
Heh, I was hoping nobody would ask, and I could just let it slide unnoticed. My previous bike, which I traded in for the XR was a 2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (180cc). I've attached a pic because I'm sure nobody here knows what they look like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts