1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Folks, Got to trust me here.
This is for my job. I need to get a ballpark value of a
2001 Indian Cenntenial Chief.
Yes, I have gone to Kelly Blue Book but the problem is with the condition of the bike.
It is outside in the PA winter weather. Chained to a pole for about a year, however Not in bad shape. A little rust but looks like it could be polished up very easily. Flat tires. Bags are weathered some.
Real catch is that it doesn't run. I'm told it won't start. But I don't know what that meansor not it even turns over.

This isn't something I can take to someone and have checked out either. I go on what I see. It is what it is sort of thing but trying to be fair.
Yes, it is a 100 year anniversary bike but taking into consideration the condition and the unknown factors:
What is a fair value for this bike?

Thanks All

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's 13 years old. Sitting in the weather. Gilroy Indians were known for electrical problems. Personally I don't think it's worth very much. You may be lucky to get a thousand bucks. Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm going to join the downers' band, and point out that possibly all rubber's dried up and eaten just like the flat tires. Who makes replacement parts for a 2001 Chief anyway? :confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What do you want? To turn it over fast? Not happening.
To part it out? It's got that 88 inch S&S so there is that. You could probably move the motor and trannie out the door for a couple grand or close. The tin isn't worth much even in good shape and it likely isn't. Those bikes cracked at the fender mounts and the tanks don't work with that many frames. The rest of it is sold by the pound swap meet iron. A lot of Harley interchangeable parts though so not a total waste of time lugging around in crates for a season. Maybe get back 3k broken down given enough time. Hardly worth sitting on unless you have a buyer for the whole pile.

Outside for a year? Man, that's got to look rough. It would have to max out at 2k running with no smoke and a good clutch to bother with it. I would pass on a non runner unless they gave it to me and put it into the truck.

If you got to have it, tell them 500 as is because you are running a charity for unloved lawn ornaments. Even if the motor is gerschtukled you could turn around the trannie and alternator and whatever else falls off easy after a couple hours on the bench to recoup and scrap the rest.

If I thought I could get it shiny from 20 feet away AND it runs first push of the button it could fetch upwards of 5k after April, 4k any time. These things were hell on starters.

It could be as easy as crossing the solenoid poles with a screwdriver to get it to fire. Or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
$1.25........

My neighbor had one so I shared in his experience keeping that POS running.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That thunder heart wiring was junk. Be better off installing a oem HD wiring harness into it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts