Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've had my XC for 5yrs now and I've never figured out how to properly air-up my shock, this is my second one and when every I connect the air pump which is the Fox Factory Shox pump to the air valve and attempt to pump the shock up I can set it to what every pressure say 40psi once I unscrew the pump off the stem it doesn't hold the pressure, is this a bad shock???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Mine was same pressure this spring as it was last fall when I put the cover on.

I say bad shock or you are letting air out when you unscrew it.

Can you pump it and watch the gauge to see if it drops?

Even walking away for a few minutes just leaving it connected.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was same pressure this spring as it was last fall when I put the cover on.

I say bad shock or you are letting air out when you unscrew it.

Can you pump it and watch the gauge to see if it drops?

Even walking away for a few minutes just leaving it connected.
Yes so when I try and back off the air fitting it loses pressure and if I stop backing it off the it will stop leaking. Now as far as holding, it appears to hold the air but I didn't leave on very long to check it.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh, and the core has an o-ring on it that could be missing or damaged. Auto parts or bicycle shop will have the tool and should have a core that will fit if you need one. But most likely it is loose.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and the core has an o-ring on it that could be missing or damaged. Auto parts or bicycle shop will have the tool and should have a core that will fit if you need one. But most likely it is loose.
WeekendRider with the pump still connected it's rock steady no leaks after 20mins it's only when I try and pump air into the shock it has some resistances and when I start unscrewing the pump then that's when I start losing pressure??

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
It looks like you're using the right pump for the job. They are designed to NOT lose air when you unscrew them from the valve though so something is not right. Either the pump valve is faulty or maybe as 'WeekendRider' said; the core isn't screwed in all the way or maybe the Schrader valve is bad and you just need a new one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think it's a standard valve or something specific Victory uses?

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Do you think it's a standard valve or something specific Victory uses?
Pull it out and look at it. Maybe take it to a tire shop and see if they can match it up. I think it's probably just a standard Schrader valve since it doesn't handle much more than a 100 psi. Bicycle tire valves will do that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright let me go find this tool and see what I come up with Thanks everyone for your help I'll will post my finding when I get them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright let me go find this tool and see what I come up with Thanks everyone for your help I'll will post my finding when I get them.
Well I just replaced the valve and to no avail it is still doing the same thing I'm really thinking it's not even letting air into the shock because it's only taking two pumps to get to 50 psi that's not right, now my shock is completely empty:crying:frown.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Could be something wrong with the pump. Try removing the core and connecting the pump. When you remove the pump it will lose all the air of course but you’ll have eliminated the valve from the equation.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Well I just replaced the valve and to no avail it is still doing the same thing I'm really thinking it's not even letting air into the shock because it's only taking two pumps to get to 50 psi that's not right, now my shock is completely empty:crying:frown.
Yep. Sure sounds like something is wrong with the pump nozzle. My pump takes a lot of pumps to get to 50.

Might try seeing if any air comes out of the pump when you pump it. Maybe the center post (don't know what it's called) in the pump nozzle is stuck closed. Try using a screw driver to push it in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be something wrong with the pump. Try removing the core and connecting the pump. When you remove the pump it will lose all the air of course but you’ll have eliminated the valve from the equation.
Yeah I tried that but it's like I'm trying to fill all of outter space up it's not feeling anything up??

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. Sure sounds like something is wrong with the pump nozzle. My pump takes a lot of pumps to get to 50.

Might try seeing if any air comes out of the pump when you pump it. Maybe the center post (don't know what it's called) in the pump nozzle is stuck closed. Try using a screw driver to push it in.
This one doesn't have a nozzle and I'm getting air coming out when I pump it not sure how strong it suppose to be it's very light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Put the pump on your car and see what happens. If it works then you know there's a problem with the receiving schrader valve on the bike. If it doesn't; you know there's a problem with the pump. You could even use one of the tires on your bike. Any tire will do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put the pump on your car and see what happens. If it works then you know there's a problem with the receiving schrader valve on the bike. If it doesn't; you know there's a problem with the pump. You could even use one of the tires on your bike. Any tire will do.
I think something is wrong with the pump cause it acted the same after two to three pumps and it reached 100psi I'll order another pump and see. I'll post back.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had the same problem a year ago. Turned out I DIDN'T HAVE THE HOSE COUPLING TIGHT ENOUGH. It has to be very tight to open the inlet valve in the inflate fitting. When you see the pressure gauge on the pump move you have a tight connection.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
So as a bicycle shop tech I use a high-pressure pump like this multiple times daily. If you don't screw the connector down until it pushes the core of the schrader valve it will not allow air to pass in or out. When I connect the pump to an MTB air fork or shock I screw it down until there is usually an audible "whoosh" as the pump (high-pressure low-volume pump, not regular tire pump) pressurizes. At this same time the gauge will show the equalized air-pressure. It takes a lot of strokes to pump up a fork but less for a shock on a bicycle due to size of the air chamber. The shock on my CCT feels like pumping up a bicycle fork and takes a little while. To limit your air pressure loss when you unscrew the pump you should unscrew it quickly and that's why I only screw it on until it pressurizes. Typically you will lose between 3-10psi when you unscrew the pump. I usually put about 5psi over the desired pressure on a bike shock and 10psi over on a bike fork to remedy this. Just give it a shot.

Not saying this is THE way but it is A way.

Cheers,
Skin

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the pic of my original valve (gold stem) and new valve to the right. 20190619_115215_1560963496105.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts