Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with hot water heater control valves. We have a HWH powered by natural gas. Twice in the last two days, the pilot light went out. In both cases, I followed the normal process to relight the pilot and it relit and worked fine for a while and then the pilot went out again. My two questions are:

1) Is this likely to be a faulty gas control valve/box or a faulty thermocouple? The argument that the thermocouple is okay is that it properly registers the heat from the pilot light and allows the pilot gas to continue flowing when the big red button is pushed during the lighting process. Further, the thermocouple is registering heat from the pilot because it allows the gas to flow to light the main burner. Still, it could be some sort of intermittent fault in the t/c. Anyone with experience at this know which is more likely to be the problem - gas control valve/box or thermocouple. Anyone know of any ways to test to see which is at fault.

2) If it is the valve, I can buy a general replacement for Whirlpool HWH at Lowes and I am confident that I could install it. However, the thermocouple passes through the face of what appears to be a sealed gas combustion chamber. If it is the thermocouple, how is this replaced? The HWH is about 12 years old and other than this issue, seems fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Probably the thermocouple. That's the most common thing to go out. It's probably getting week.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
If the thermocouple is 7 days old, that's why its week. :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with hot water heater control valves. We have a HWH powered by natural gas. Twice in the last two days, the pilot light went out. In both cases, I followed the normal process to relight the pilot and it relit and worked fine for a while and then the pilot went out again. My two questions are:

1) Is this likely to be a faulty gas control valve/box or a faulty thermocouple? The argument that the thermocouple is okay is that it properly registers the heat from the pilot light and allows the pilot gas to continue flowing when the big red button is pushed during the lighting process. Further, the thermocouple is registering heat from the pilot because it allows the gas to flow to light the main burner. Still, it could be some sort of intermittent fault in the t/c. Anyone with experience at this know which is more likely to be the problem - gas control valve/box or thermocouple. Anyone know of any ways to test to see which is at fault.

2) If it is the valve, I can buy a general replacement for Whirlpool HWH at Lowes and I am confident that I could install it. However, the thermocouple passes through the face of what appears to be a sealed gas combustion chamber. If it is the thermocouple, how is this replaced? The HWH is about 12 years old and other than this issue, seems fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G'day,

Vinish
So what did you find, do?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done nothing so far. Banged on the control box with a chunk of wood to loosen any stuck valves. Pilot went out next day. Relit and it has run for a week without a problem. I did buy a new thermocouple and have that sitting there ready to install. I've been busy frantically fixing, cleaning, painting, etc. the house in preparation for selling it. Thanks for asking.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I've done nothing so far. Banged on the control box with a chunk of wood to loosen any stuck valves. Pilot went out next day. Relit and it has run for a week without a problem. I did buy a new thermocouple and have that sitting there ready to install. I've been busy frantically fixing, cleaning, painting, etc. the house in preparation for selling it. Thanks for asking.

G'day,

Vinish
I good beating with a chunk of wood fixes most things

1 - 9 of 9 Posts