Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Victory owner here and pretty new to street bikes in general. I just picked up a New 2008 Hammer S this past spring. As a matter of financial necessity I purchased a NIB Victory Brand Stage 1 kit on line from E-Bay. It had the slip on replacement mufflers and not the complete pipes. I do not mind the factory look so that was OK with me and the price was great. Got them in went to install all of the hardware myself before taking the bike to the dealer for re mapping. The slip on pipes fit perfect but the K&N Filter and Air box cover were not the correct ones.

The K&N Filter was a bit too large and the air box cover was not shaped correctly to fit. However it appears the new cover simply had more holes in it to let more air in. My question is can I go buy a K&N Filter that fits and take my stock air box cover and open it up to achieve the same goals?

Thanks for any opinions or comments.

·
Registered
227 Posts
bought slipons from a dealer off ebay

Had the same problem when I bought slipons from a dealer in Minn. off ebay. He didnt say that the kn would not fit an 08, it actually was for a 07. The remapping card was not for a 08 either. But for $199 dollars I didnt complain. My dealer gave me a kn kit free that they took off a bike that went with the ss airbox, but to remapp, it was $159. So, watch what you buy and ask questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey fellas! I know this is an old post, but I have followed the same path as you, ebayed a stage 1 slip on kit for $175 - won't receive them till next week. The kit I ordered is listed for an 03-05 Kingpin and Vegas, however, polaris site says they will fit my model. I have an 09 Vegas 8 ball. Am I to assume that the slip ons will work fine, but the supplied air intake box and recalibration will not? should I go out an buy a performance intake to fit my bike instead? thanx

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hey fellas! I know this is an old post, but I have followed the same path as you, ebayed a stage 1 slip on kit for $175 - won't receive them till next week. The kit I ordered is listed for an 03-05 Kingpin and Vegas, however, polaris site says they will fit my model. I have an 09 Vegas 8 ball. Am I to assume that the slip ons will work fine, but the supplied air intake box and recalibration will not? should I go out an buy a performance intake to fit my bike instead? thanx
An 03-05 Vegas kit will not even bolt up to your bike. EVERYTHING is different. NEVER trust the interchange listings on the Vic site. I swear it was compiled by a bunch of drunken idiots

For those of you that were shilled into buying a 06-07 kit. You might as well just buy an S&S intake kit. Figure the right map is $160, the filter is $60, and the cover set is $50. That puts you at aditional $270 above what you have already laid out. Throw another $50 and you have the S&S that comes with a map that will work, and you win, win out of the mistake

·
Registered
7 Posts
the slip ons won't even bolt up? is it a different size pipe? I wish I would have inquired before I made the purchase....thanks for the info Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
the slip ons won't even bolt up? is it a different size pipe? I wish I would have inquired before I made the purchase....thanks for the info Kevin
Different entry type and size. Also tabs for mounting are for a differnt system. No simple fab is gonna make it work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I am new to this modifying thing...if you hadn't already noticed. But what a roller coaster this has been. After reading your earlier post, I was prepared to take the brand new package that I will receive and relist it on ebay. I inquire with my dealership and they said it would bolt on, but the intake cover and mapping would not work...which after looking at the picture, the intake cover seemed pretty obvious even to an idiot like me! So I did some searching and found the chrome vented airbox cover on the polaris website that fits my bike and thought I was just down to mapping or fuel tuner.....but then I read what you have just posted and I am back to selling, and I have read enough about you on two different sites to consider you the man on vics!

It does bother me that the fitment chart lists my bike. In addition, if you search up performance accessories for my make and model on the vic site, that kit comes up!!! So, I could have made this same mistake ordering direct from Vic....

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about polaris part number 2876425-266 (titled as Stage 1 swept for 08 Vegas and Kingpin)? But also listed as a fit for my 09 Vegas 8 ball. Or is this another waste of my money for Vics misprint...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
How about polaris part number 2876425-266 (titled as Stage 1 swept for 08 Vegas and Kingpin)? But also listed as a fit for my 09 Vegas 8 ball. Or is this another waste of my money for Vics misprint...
That kit WILL bolt on, but performance wise they pretty much suck. End result is a louder bike that makes the same power as stock at best. Also the swepts are about the worst offender for popping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts