Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and thanks for the responses in the past. I have a 2007 Kingpin with 4K on it and am thinking of switching to a XR. I have grown to like riding and want to take longer trips.

I did a search on the forum and read some similar questions. The answers are that they are two different bikes and similar type statements. When I looked at the specs they have very similar wheel base lengths with the XR almost 100lbs heavier.

Can anyone elaborate? Thoughts?

Where is best place to sell the Kingpin if I go that way?

Thanks
John
2007 Kingpin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention

I am 6'4" so don't know if one bike fits better than the other. I have only rode the kingpin and I think it takes a while of riding to really tell how something fits.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
221 Posts
best advice I can give is be realistic. KBB on 2007 Kingpin is 7k trade, 10k retail. So, if you might be able to sell it for 8.5k. Best place to sell on your own, is probably craigslist...

For speed and convenience, you might see how close the dealer will come in on a trade. Or, they might have a consignment program...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've ridden a KP several times and own a 2011 XR. I think you will really like the XR. It just feels like a more modern bike and handles superbly. Also, there will be a lot more room for you to stretch out on the XR. I am only 6' and noticed a big difference in room when I rode both bikes, particularly with the floorboards and layout. It should be an even bigger difference for you. As for the weight, I came from a Star Warrior that weighed about 670lbs. With the options on my XR, its probably closer to 800lbs. But the weight is held so low that it is never a problem. It's actually a lot easier to handle at low speeds than my Warrior was.

Not sure if you have bags on your KP, but I love the locking hardbags on the XR. I ride a lot more because of these bags - I take it to work, grocery shopping, on day trips with my GF. And they are huge!

Also, the comfort and cruise control is fantastic. The ability to adjust the rear shock is great too. Overall I really love the XR!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not sure if you have bags on your KP, but I love the locking hardbags on the XR. I ride a lot more because of these bags - I take it to work, grocery shopping, on day trips with my GF. And they are huge!

Also, the comfort and cruise control is fantastic. The ability to adjust the rear shock is great too. Overall I really love the XR!
+1 thumb up
I thought at first I didn't want bags, or only quick attach ones that would only go on for out of town rides. But, I was wrong. I drop off dry cleaning, pick up groceries, carry 12 packs, and etc...

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Johnah,
Have a list ready of all the Vic stuff that you want on your bike and bargain for the total package, you'll come out ahead that way. If you live where it gets cold, consider the lower wind deflectors, they work great - even keep legs dry in the rain. Don't even think about getting the center stand - it doesn't get a wheel off the ground and limits your lean angle. Gonna do two up riding? The passenger back rest is a must - I got the luggage rack with mine and I'm glad I did- very useful. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, but....

Can you please let me know what the difference would be for riding. I am guessing, that on long trips there must be a difference and didn't know if the size of the bike with bags made it more visible to cars.

Thanks for the input. I will check into the dealer trade in price. They have a 2011, xr with bags and windshield for $14,500. I am trying to not make a switch if not needed. I do notice that the middle of my back between the shoulder blades gets starts to pain a bit.

Best
John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Erratta

I meant that after a couple of hours on the Kingpin I can feel a pain or tiredness between my shoulder blades. Didn't know if the XR would be different due to its size etc. I checked the specs and the wheel base of the XR is less than an inch longer however the seat to floor board distance is longer.

Sorry for the convoluted writing
john

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Can you please let me know what the difference would be for riding. I am guessing, that on long trips there must be a difference and didn't know if the size of the bike with bags made it more visible to cars.

Thanks for the input. I will check into the dealer trade in price. They have a 2011, xr with bags and windshield for $14,500. I am trying to not make a switch if not needed. I do notice that the middle of my back between the shoulder blades gets starts to pain a bit.

Best
John
John, Although he's already quoting you a good price, under the heading that it doesn't hurt to ask, see if he'll throw in the lowers and a back rest (with rack?) for the same price, or very little more. I'm not clear about what "difference" you are referring to. If its the difference between your present bike and a XR, the answer is yes, its a bit larger and heavier. Does that matter in the long haul? Not one bit, except for more comfort for rider and passenger and greater carrying capacity. The ride and handling of the Cross bikes is very refined and rider friendly and like any bike, once you are acclimated to it, it will seem like a much smaller bike than it does to you now. Re the pain in your back, you'll find the ergos on the XR much more to your liking. The foot controls are adjustable fore and aft and the bars can be rotated up or down. I have done over 400 mile days on my XR with no discomfort. I have done 700 mile days on previous bikes (full boat tourers) with no discomfort because I fine tuned the ergos and the saddle to suit me. Ya gotta make the bike fit you. thumb up

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right

I just started riding as in under 1K miles under my belt. I am finding that I love it and it is a great stress release. Took a trip on the Kingpin last weekend and used back pack to carry my stuff. But since I am new to biking I am looking for advice from you seasoned guys.

Thanks
John
2007 kingpin (for now)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mid-back pain can be caused by having to reach too far forward which can be solved with pullback bars. Or it could be the width of your bars which could be solved with narrower bars. Or arm position which can be solved by keeping your elbows in a natural position.

Chances are since you are so new to riding that you are riding with your elbows pointed out. This is common becuase your mind will tell you the wider position gives you more control.

Try moving your arms around a little; elbows out, elbows tucked and natural - this will keep you from tensing the same muscles constantly.

If you are unsure how the XR will compare ask for a demo ride and take it out for about an hour. Make sure you get fast, slow, curvy and straight runs in on your demo.

As far as how the bikes compare that's up to you to figure out. Some people can move from one bike to another and be able to ride them just as well. Other people find a bike that fits them that they can ride well but once they get on a different bike they look like newbie.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Great info on arm position and making changes to make it work for me. That is great stuff. Any of that kind of advice is very very welcome!

John

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Great info on arm position and making changes to make it work for me. That is great stuff. Any of that kind of advice is very very welcome!

Ammo gave you good advice. To that I would add, your wrists should be straight and not bent. That prevents pain in that area.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
No problem; forums are all about people helping people! Other peoples problems can be your solutions.

Unfortunately they also turn into bitchboards too often...

By the way, if you buy the XR and the pullback isn't enough you can put XC bars on it. The XC bars will pull the bars back almost 3" and will work with the stock cables. You'll have to reroute your clutch cable, front brake line and cruise control cable. Post a request for used XC bas on here if you need them and you should be able to find a set for $40 to $100 plus shipping. There's no sense in going to 2" or 2.5" pullback SRVT bars and possibly having to wait on a backorder.

RICZ,
I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in both elbows (right post-op), and arthitis in both hands. I can't feel much in my ring fingers or pinkies and the nerve damage is so bad in my right arm that I can scratch one area and feel it in another area. The surgeon said my right ulner nerve looked like spaghetti squash so moving the nerve to a location the would decrease the risk of additional damage sort or rewired my nerves. I also have a partially fused neck and 4 vertibrae with buldging/torn disks. I guess I spent way too many years lifting $hit I should have used a forklift for but I'm not ready to give up my motorcycle habit!

Arm/elbow and wrist position is critical if you already have damage. It is just as critical if you don't want to have aches and pains you can easily avoid.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
You might also want to remember the new 2012 Victory's are coming out next week.

After that; any remaining 2011's will drop in price. The XC's sell much faster than the XR's but that isn't a dig on the XR's. Just that most people are gonna go for the whole stereo/touring package when getting up into the touring bike area. Still, just like the HD Road King, which the XR is designed to compete with, there are lots of folks who just like having the windshield on at certain times.

Good luck in your search but please wait a week or two before making any decisions or you might miss out on some better deals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts