Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the kingpin in the garage on Monday. I went to start it yesterday and the starter turns over but it won't start. I'm wearing down the battery. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always have to use fast idle and sometimes blip the throttle just a tad (try to keep the rpms as low as possible) in order to start mine when it is colder than 25 F.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
How cold is it in your garage? I remember the days when bikes had kick starters. In the winter months, even when the electric starter sounded normal, I would often have a bike that would not fire a single shot. One kick on the kick starter and the bike would be running. If I was planning on riding regularly in extremely cold temps, I'd be shopping for a bike that has a kick starter. For now, I'll just leave the bike parked if temps aren't somewhere near forty degrees. After a recent morning of -35, I guess I should state forty degrees above zero!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Did you try cycling the key to activate the fuel pump a few times? Mine cranks a bit longer if my iav is closed to much in the cold.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did recycle the shut off switch 4 times but still nothing. The fuel pump is running. I can hear it when I turn on the key. It is about 45 degrees in the garage.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
How old is the fuel? If its older than a month and it's Ethanol 10% remove it and put fresh fuel in. Change the plugs while your at it. Only $3 a piece.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Simple things I've run across starting Victory bikes in the cold
Check that the battery terminals are tight
Ensure the battery is fully charged
Crack the throttle just a little bit (an 1/8 of an inch or less) when hitting the starter

If it still won't start did you do anything that might've caused a problem when you put it away? Did you pressure wash the bike and maybe got some water in some places it doesn't belong like the plug caps, ignition or kill switch? If you think there might be then squirting a little WD-40 can displace the water.

If that's good then narrow down whether you have a spark problem or a fuel problem. I pull both plugs and look at them. If it's wet with unburned fuel, it's a safe bet that the plug is either fouled, or you've lost the spark. To check the spark ground each one to the chassis then look for sparks when you hit the starter. Don't keep cranking or you'll flood the engine. If there is a problem then you'll have to find out why you don't have a spark.

To check for a fuel problem pull the fuel line off the throttle body and aim it into a glass jar. Cover the opening so gas doesn't splash out then hit the kill switch. Gas should gush out.

Beyond that you probably have to do a compression or leak down test.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Goatlocker. I am having it towed to dealer. I need the oil changes anyway. Will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Before I attempt a cold weather start, I place an electric heater on the floor about 18" from the engine. A half hour on the right side, then a half hour on the left. That warms and thins the oil, making life a lot easier for the battery and starter. That also warms the engine and battery, giving it more cranking power.
There's been an automatic charger on the battery and stabilizer in the fuel. She usually fires up on the first try using the heater method.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from dealer. I was told that when the battery gets very low that the computer needs to be reset. That was the problem.

:Dcheers

·
Registered
931 Posts
That makes no sense, the computer needs to be reset. If anything the iac would need to be reset, which you can do at home.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Keith, do you add stabilizer to the fuel and connect an automatic trickle charger to the battery? If not, commence to do so...today's fuel has only about a 30 day shelf life before the gooies start to separate and a battery looses a lot of oomph in the cold.
Next time, try the heater thing that I do...betcha won't have that happen again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts