Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes in 6th when I pull it wide open the indicator will jump around between 4 5 & 6 even tho its solid in 6th gear. And I get more pull if I'm not pulling it all the way back but rather better acceleration if I pull it around 1/2 to 3/4 back.
Anyone experience this ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So sometimes in 6th when I pull it wide open the indicator will jump around between 4 5 & 6 even tho its solid in 6th gear. And I get more pull if I'm not pulling it all the way back but rather better acceleration if I pull it around 1/2 to 3/4 back.
Anyone experience this ?
My '11 xc does the exact same thing. It's normal... a bit distracting, but ultimately you're fine.

-kg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Let's make sure we're all on the same page...

If i'm cruising down the freeway in 6th gear, and I pull in the clutch, the "--" will display... If i let the clutch out slow enough it'll count up from 1-6... this is what i assumed you were referencing.

Rereading your post, the behavior your bike is exhibiting is atypical unless your releasing the clutch kinda slow...

For clarification, your indicator freaking out when you are 100% OFF the clutch lever correct?

-kg

·
13,003 Posts
Anyone experience this ?
I don't see where you say what year and morel you are asking about

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12 highball. Clutch is completely out. Already in 6 and then nail it all the way back.... then the numbers jump around. And I get way better pull if I don't pull all the way back but rather 1/2 to 3/4 pull

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
12 highball. Clutch is completely out. Already in 6 and then nail it all the way back.... then the numbers jump around. And I get way better pull if I don't pull all the way back but rather 1/2 to 3/4 pull

Does it slip on WOT? Is the engine revving higher, but not pulling? Is the clutch properly adjusted?

The gear indicator is designed to read your RPM and speed, and it calculates what gear you're in. It gets a little flustered when the RPM jumps quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Right... but if you're in 6th, and you're off the clutch... the display reads 6th gear and stays in gear, until you pull the clutch in right? If so... it's normal. Distracting but normal.

-kg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds to me like your clutch is slipping. You either need an adjustment or it could be burnt or you are using the wrong oil.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What speed/revs are you doing when you "crank it up" in sixth gear. You may be better dropping down a gear. As for the gear indicator. No idea whats going on there.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sounds to me that your cracking the throttle open in an overdrive gear (6th) that has absolutely no power whatsoever, kick her down a gear. Try the same thing in 5th gear and report back? The gear selector shouldn't be flipping around all over on acceleration but you will see it do it on deceleration.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds to me like you're bouncing off the rev limiter. The victory ecu uses a computer algorithm to to determine which gear to indicate based on engine revolutions and actual mph. Based on your speed, when you over rev the bike, the ecu thinks you are in a lower gear, and it throws up a false gear. A stock bike is limited to somewhere around 4800 rpms. 6th gear only gets you to around 100 mph, to get more out of her, drop it down to 5th, then crank it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds to me like you're bouncing off the rev limiter. The victory ecu uses a computer algorithm to to determine which gear to indicate based on engine revolutions and actual mph. Based on your speed, when you over rev the bike, the ecu thinks you are in a lower gear, and it throws up a false gear. A stock bike is limited to somewhere around 4800 rpms. 6th gear only gets you to around 100 mph, to get more out of her, drop it down to 5th, then crank it.
I understand your thought process but I doubt if he's hitting the rev limiter that quick in overdrive. I suppose he could be confusing the ECU when he cracks the throttle in overdrive.

To the OP, I too am curious at what speed you're cracking the throttle in overdrive. Personally, I don't bother with overdrive untill 65mph or so. If I want to accelerate quickly, I drop to 5th gear. If traffic is heavy, I stay in 5th at highway speeds to be sure I have that extra punch to "get out of the way."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Finally something that makes since. Thanks.

So this happens when you are going 100 + miles an hour? And you have more pulling power at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle than at full..... at 100 + miles an hour?????? Is your air filter clean?
If it is a completely stock air box, you are also probably not getting enough air at that speed. Due to all the bends a stock air box has, you would probably create a reverse air flow, sucking out air from the intake rather than sucking in.
.........Or your clutch is slipping.......

·
Registered
659 Posts
So let me re-phrase what I have gathered about your problem.

Rolling down the road at say 70MPH in 6th gear… If you twist the throttle somewhat gently to wide open the bike accelerates as expected and the gear indicator stays at 6. If you twist the throttle hard and fast to wide open you don’t get the acceleration expected and the gear indicator drops to 5 or even 4, then as the bike picks up speed the indicator goes back up to 6 again.

Is this about right???

First, as others have said there is no “gear sensor” in the transmission, it does not directly sense what gear the bike is in. The gear indicator on the dash is driven off the computer, which does the math between MPH and RPM, determines the ration between them, matches a gear up with the calculated ratio, and displays it. This is a rough calculation so that it will accommodate different size tires and other modifications owners may do. If the RPMs go up but the MPH doesn’t the computer thinks you’re in a different gear because of the math.

I think your clutch is slipping. It’s just more pronounced under heavy load.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts