Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My user name is Simons. My real name is Doug.

I am 36 and looking to ride. As of right now I do not own any bike. I have always wanted to own a bike and never had the time or money to do so. Well now I am to a point in my life where I am going to make time and get money to get a bike.

A little back ground from me. I have driven dirt bike and quads and ski-doo's but never owned a street bike/cruiser. I was looking at a Yamaha VMax originally but everyone told me to not bother and get a smaller more controllable bike. So that community turned me off of that bike. The Bike is only as good as the community that supports each other and share stories/pictures as far as I am concerned. I understand that not owning a bike before is a lot to learn, but I am a mature person and think I can control it. Other reason for turning away is didn't want to have to mod it to lower it so I could sit flat footed at a stop light.

I am 5'6" and about 180lbs. So the height of the jackpot 25.7" would be perfect for me. I was told by a relative to look at the Victory as he was trying to decide between Victory and Harley. So I have been doing as much research while the snow is here trying to learn everything I can. For my height, Will I be leaning to far forward to ride comfortably?
I am not sure if I will be picking 1 up this summer or the following spring as I went back to school last fall to better myself for me and my family. So I might need to take a year to pay things off first then get a bike next spring.

Anyways sorry for the long winded ramble, look forward to reading and learning in here and if there is any info/tips you can give me that would be great and really appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the site.

1) your best bet is to go to a dealership and sit on one and see how you feel. No one here can take your height and weight and make a judgement as to whether or not YOU PERSONALLY are comfortable. Only you can do that.

2) dont listen to anyone but yourself. My first bike was a 1983 GS1100. I survived!!! A 106cu.in. motor puts out a lot of power too, man.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am 5'7" and only 140 lbs and I find the Kingpin to be the best Victory for a short/small guy. I can flat foot with my knees slightly bent on my stock Kingpin. Also these bikes are surprisingly easy to control for their size at low speeds due to their low center of gravity. I have no problems making U-turns on mine and I'm used to sport bikes!

I have ridden a Victory V92TC and a Cross Country and neither of those felt as good to me as the Kingpin. But everyone who rides one will have a different opinion of the ergonomics of the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Doug. What do you want from a motorcycle?
Well it will be my commuter for the most part in the summer, and also do some highway travels to see friends off and on all summer with is about 2.5 hour drive each way carrying a gear bag full of paintball gear. So far I love the look of the Jackpot. I will look at the kingpin as well.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome Simons.

Your best bet, not just for a first bike but for future ones too, is to decide what style riding you will be doing, then go sit on all bikes that fit that type of riding. You probably want something most often called a cruiser for limited long distance and frequent short distance rides. The Victories to choose from in that type are listed as cruisers on the Victory official web site. Usually a cruiser will have the pegs or floorboards mounted forward of where you settle into that seat rather than making you fold your heels under your rear end. I would just go to all the local bike shops and ask to sit on all of their cruisers to see which one feels best in terms of both seat height and handlebar reach. If both parameters work on a bike, maybe it is worth looking into farther. If both do not suit you, you will end up wanting to trade bikes pretty darned soon after you start riding it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts