Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New from MN. Looking for a new bike. Have ridden Harley since 99. I am hoping to get some views of past Harley owners on here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
New from MN. Looking for a new bike. Have ridden Harley since 99. I am hoping to get some views of past Harley owners on here.
before my bike (07 8-ball) i had a custom 99 softail with a 119" in it. the 8-ball has just as much power and even better to ride, it handles great in the corners and is very torqy and my favorite thing about it is it doesn't "mark its territory" which is leak oil out of everywhere possible. where are you from in MN, thats where i live anywhere near Belle Plaine?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live south of Rochester about 35 minutes or so, right on the MN/IA border. My last was an 05 Duece I got rid of a couple years ago...my wife although, only 27 years old, thinks it is Harley or nothing because that is what her family rode/rides and that is what my family and I have had since we met. So, I need to work on her to open her mind. The thing is I can get such a good deal on a Vic right now. Thank you for you experience. Hope some more are coming.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I live south of Rochester about 35 minutes or so, right on the MN/IA border. My last was an 05 Duece I got rid of a couple years ago...my wife although, only 27 years old, thinks it is Harley or nothing because that is what her family rode/rides and that is what my family and I have had since we met. So, I need to work on her to open her mind. The thing is I can get such a good deal on a Vic right now. Thank you for you experience. Hope some more are coming.
she must not enjoy being different i guess, o well some people just want to have the same bike as other people whatever works

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, I am the one that likes to be different. My dads bike is nasty as hell...but, he won't even buy a new Harley(fully built, 127hp/130tq), mostly because of the stealerships. That is my point...when have you ever seen a Harley lower than MSRP, other than a V-Rod I mean. But, I am working on her, I can't stand the frickin stealership acting like they are the only kids on the block and that we will buy them because it says Harley on their front door:mad:

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Mac one thing about Victory is that they are rated number one in customer satisfaction. They are pretty much bullet proof bikes. Cubic inch for cubic inch the Freedom engine (Victory) puts out more HP and TQ than HD.

Style wise, Victory is cutting edge, forward thinking. So is their technology.

Buying a Victory now is a great time because they are throwing in a 5 year warranty.

Part for part Victory is a better deal. Yes a Premium Jackpot will run you in the high 17k - 18k BUT that is with chrome everywhere on the bike. Buy a softail or rocker and chrome it out like a Jackpot and I guarantee you will spend over 20k!!

This is my bike the day I picked her up. She was 17.8k out the door. The front end is all chrome, Stage 1 chrome drag pipes, chrome valve covers, chrome main pulley drive cover, chrome timing chain adjuster cover, polished billet wheels, chrome belt guard, chrome fender struts, chrome passenger seat riser, chrome switch housing, on the left side the primary cover is chrome. The pulley was replaced by Victory a week later because it was supposed to be chrome.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way knocking HD. Just pointing out the positive differences between the two.

The negative side is the lack of dealerships. There is at least one HD dealer in almost every city in the US. Victory on the other hand is sparse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't dis the Harley bikes themselves but, good dealers are few and far between. I have 4 or 5 Vic dealers within about 100 miles. I just want something different I think. I know I will catch a crap storm from some of my buddies. When I blow the chrome off their Harley maybe the tune will change. For the most part I just want to ride and do it in a reliable fashion. Your bike is sick. The first picture looks pretty much identical to the one I have my eye on. Regardless of the make I just like black bikes. I could only dream of making a bike look like yours does now. I know I can get an 09 for 15899 from one of the dealers local to me. Good luck getting a Harley 3k under msrp.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Minnesota. Seems like there are more dealerships around the midwest. Might have something to do with Victory headqtrs and production being located in MN and IA. Maybe it is just a by chance there are more dealers around here. I would think that deal would be pretty wide spread with factory rebates and all.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You're lucky to have that many. It used to be that way here in N. California but they are closing or dropping the Vic line up. Pretty soon my nearest dealer will be 100 miles away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are sales that bad for Victory, where they are closing dealerships. I know they are relatively new and a lot of people buy into the whole Harley heritage stuff. I know I was one of them that thought the long history was the reason to ride one.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Not just Victory. I recently saw on another forum the HD has closed almost 300 stores.

Look at GM and Dodge. Its everyone not just Victory.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For some reason I had in my head that the dealers are small enough they would have a lot smaller overhead at their stores. Keep forgetting they have been around since 98.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got an 05 Hammer this spring and I've owned plenty of Harleys over the years. My Hammer will leave most Harleys staring at my tail light. And I dont know if the one your looking at is a 6 speed but, that really impressed me on my Hammer, man is that 6th gear great for interstate cruising at around 85mph. I've never ridden a Harley 6 speed so I can't compare apples to apples there.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at the Jackpot right now. I have talked to Harley techs that hate the 6 speed in the Harley. But, I have never ridden one with a 6 speed, from what I hear the 6th gear is worthless at normal highway cruising speeds.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
No, the 6th gear is exactly right a normal highway speeds. Thats what gives you great gas mileage!

Around town the 6th and even 5th for that is worthless.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I heard about the Harley 6 speed is that it is useless unless you run 90 mph. I have heard the Victory 6 speed can be cruised at 55-60 no problem...that is just what I have heard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both, 08 Harley Dyna StreetBob and an 07 Victory 8-Ball. I love the 8-Ball, just wish there were more options to customize. I do travel, so the 6th gear would be nice. I have always been a Harley person, or should I say a Dyna person, but when I was in the market for a SoftTail, I got the 8-Ball to try it out. To say what bike I like better, I cannot say, but the Victory does get more attention. Now of course, I do have it my way, all black, loud and low. The Dyna just fits me, love it to death, plenty of parts and peices to fix it up, just easier for me to work on. I am my own wrench, if I cannot do it, it does not need to be done is my thought. I would have to say that the Dealerships is Victory's biggest downfall. Where I am from, we have every dealership you can think of, but I will say, we have one of the best Harley dealerships around and one of the worse Victory dealerships maybe in the whole country. Yes, I do think that Victory is as good or better than Harley, if only we had more knowable people working at the Dealerships. Example, what Harley shop can you walk into that at least 5 people can answer your question, and 4 of those do not even work there. If I had to sell a bike today, it would the Victory, not because of the product, but because of the support.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts