Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 05 kingpin in Las Vegas. 35,000 miles.
My first Victory.
Paid $4500.00

We paid lots of cash for it. And when I say lots of cash, I mean lots of CASH.
My wife and I saved a lot of our tips for many years. Most got converted into bigger bills and were spent over the years.
We looked at some Victory's and fell in love.
I found one that I wanted quite badly, bad sadly enough, the bank didn't want to play on a used bike.
My wife found this one on CL for a pretty good price, but we just couldn't swing it, that is until she brought up the dregs of out tips: One dollar bills, stuffed into a large bank bag, wrapped in stacks of 100, plus a few small stacks of fives, and a few 100's.
We had enough for the bike

We secured the bike over the phone with a promise to come get it that day. The plan was to hook up our small bike trailer, go to the bank, have them convert the bills to larger denominations, and head for Vegas. (150 miles)

About 10 miles into the jouney, a tire on the trailer blew, and all but removed a fender.
My spare was a very small tire, on a small rim, but the holes matched.

We quickly changed the tire only to fond that it was a bit short on air.
To turn around, go home, find a better spare and get back on the road would have left us no time to get to the bank.
We called the owner and said we would be there today, and he understood, and held the bike for us.
He also wanted to meet early.

We made the 9:00 appointment, but the bank certainly wasn't open at 6:00 in the morning.
We told him the dilemma with the bills. he called his bank nearby to find it would be an hour before they opened, and that only the drivethru would be open.
Most other banks turned out to be the same way.
They decided to take our cash as it was.
I had it all counted out and wrapped in nice bundles, but being as they didn't know me from Adam, they thought it best to count it. His nice wife set to the task.
When it was all said and done, she said it was possible, but she wasn't sure, that maybe we were a dollar short! :grin

The bike now resides with me, and I start my quest to learn all I can about this bike, and the Victory's in general.

I'm off to the forums with a question or two.
I hope to learn, and I always try to entertain along the way!

I have a fever, and cowbell won't cut it.
In the last three months we have purchased An 06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, an 05 Yamaha 650 Vstar, and now this Victory.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I'm just up the highway a bit in Kingman.
I have feelings about that place.:D

Nice to make your acquaintance Bob!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
13,603 Posts
So what does bbqjoe stand for? Are you a professional bbq guy? I just have a little electric smoker I've had for a decade or so that I've learned to slow cook some great ribs and other meats with. My ribs come off the bone but don't slide right off. They aren't too dry or wet. I don't use a rub either. Just salt and pepper. The flavor of the meat really comes through without a need for sauce but people are welcome to use whatever they like.

I used to share my bbq a lot but these days I mostly just cook for myself. I just did a 4 rack batch about a week ago. Cooked for about 7 hours.

I usually do a couple of turkeys twice a year too. I'll buy them when cheap during Thanksgiving and Christmas then save a couple for mid summer. One of those inexpensive chest freezers is a must for any home. The secret with turkey is to not use much wood for smoke. Just enough to give it that hint of smoke flavor without over powering it. Actually; that's pretty much how I do all my meats. In the beginning I used way too much smoke. Now I soak one soup can full of wood chips and water for an hour or two while the smoker is warming up and maybe after the meat is in there for an hour or so. Then drain off the water and put the wood chips in. I have different kinds of wood for different kinds of meat like hickory, apple, alder, and even oak from whiskey barrels.

The goal is to bring out the natural flavor of the meat; not mask it with rub and smoke. At least in my humble opinion it is. I've yet to find a restaurant that does it better than I do; again IMHO. Restaurants have to cook them fast and have different people doing the cooking so it really isn't a fair comparison. If the were cooking for themselves and family; I bet their ribs and bbq in general would be better than mine.

Those bbq cook-off's can be really good but getting enough can be a real problem. They tend to share more with each other than with us. :D Understandable really. They are having friendly competitions and doing all the work. We are just spectators for the most part.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Welcome bbqjoe.

I miss my Kingpin.great bike.

So you are one of the 5 people that live in Wikieup? It always amuses me when I ride through there that gas is unusually exspensive. I guess they are just preying on the guy that forgot to fill up in Kingman or Wickenberg.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Boss, welcome from Chicago. Lotta Texas boys n girls to play with too. Just had a Michigan buddy take his down for a couple weeks to the Canyon and all over and back with his wife.

Great choice on the KP...I have the last year made, and its an incredible ride!

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Just picked up an 05 kingpin in Las Vegas. 35,000 miles.
My first Victory.
Paid $4500.00

We paid lots of cash for it. And when I say lots of cash, I mean lots of CASH.
My wife and I saved a lot of our tips for many years. Most got converted into bigger bills and were spent over the years.
We looked at some Victory's and fell in love.
I found one that I wanted quite badly, bad sadly enough, the bank didn't want to play on a used bike.
My wife found this one on CL for a pretty good price, but we just couldn't swing it, that is until she brought up the dregs of out tips: One dollar bills, stuffed into a large bank bag, wrapped in stacks of 100, plus a few small stacks of fives, and a few 100's.
We had enough for the bike

We secured the bike over the phone with a promise to come get it that day. The plan was to hook up our small bike trailer, go to the bank, have them convert the bills to larger denominations, and head for Vegas. (150 miles)

About 10 miles into the jouney, a tire on the trailer blew, and all but removed a fender.
My spare was a very small tire, on a small rim, but the holes matched.

We quickly changed the tire only to fond that it was a bit short on air.
To turn around, go home, find a better spare and get back on the road would have left us no time to get to the bank.
We called the owner and said we would be there today, and he understood, and held the bike for us.
He also wanted to meet early.

We made the 9:00 appointment, but the bank certainly wasn't open at 6:00 in the morning.
We told him the dilemma with the bills. he called his bank nearby to find it would be an hour before they opened, and that only the drivethru would be open.
Most other banks turned out to be the same way.
They decided to take our cash as it was.
I had it all counted out and wrapped in nice bundles, but being as they didn't know me from Adam, they thought it best to count it. His nice wife set to the task.
When it was all said and done, she said it was possible, but she wasn't sure, that maybe we were a dollar short! :grin

The bike now resides with me, and I start my quest to learn all I can about this bike, and the Victory's in general.

I'm off to the forums with a question or two.
I hope to learn, and I always try to entertain along the way!

I have a fever, and cowbell won't cut it.
In the last three months we have purchased An 06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T, an 05 Yamaha 650 Vstar, and now this Victory.
Hey buddy, can you spare a buck?!!!
Great story mate!..and best part its true and backed with pix.
Gday from DownUnder mate!
Victory--We Ride!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what does bbqjoe stand for? Are you a professional bbq guy? I just have a little electric smoker I've had for a decade or so that I've learned to slow cook some great ribs and other meats with. My ribs come off the bone but don't slide right off. They aren't too dry or wet. I don't use a rub either. Just salt and pepper. The flavor of the meat really comes through without a need for sauce but people are welcome to use whatever they like.

I used to share my bbq a lot but these days I mostly just cook for myself. I just did a 4 rack batch about a week ago. Cooked for about 7 hours.

I usually do a couple of turkeys twice a year too. I'll buy them when cheap during Thanksgiving and Christmas then save a couple for mid summer. One of those inexpensive chest freezers is a must for any home. The secret with turkey is to not use much wood for smoke. Just enough to give it that hint of smoke flavor without over powering it. Actually; that's pretty much how I do all my meats. In the beginning I used way too much smoke. Now I soak one soup can full of wood chips and water for an hour or two while the smoker is warming up and maybe after the meat is in there for an hour or so. Then drain off the water and put the wood chips in. I have different kinds of wood for different kinds of meat like hickory, apple, alder, and even oak from whiskey barrels.

The goal is to bring out the natural flavor of the meat; not mask it with rub and smoke. At least in my humble opinion it is. I've yet to find a restaurant that does it better than I do; again IMHO. Restaurants have to cook them fast and have different people doing the cooking so it really isn't a fair comparison. If the were cooking for themselves and family; I bet their ribs and bbq in general would be better than mine.

Those bbq cook-off's can be really good but getting enough can be a real problem. They tend to share more with each other than with us. :D Understandable really. They are having friendly competitions and doing all the work. We are just spectators for the most part.
Well Bob, if you ever traveled much through the great mecca of Wikieup, you may know me.
I used to own and run a BBQ joint there for almost 10 years.

It sounds like you have found the secret to great BBQ!
Don't even get me started on the competition circuit and the people who take a 2 hour class and get called "Judges". :D

Welcome bbqjoe.

I miss my Kingpin.great bike.

So you are one of the 5 people that live in Wikieup? It always amuses me when I ride through there that gas is unusually exspensive. I guess they are just preying on the guy that forgot to fill up in Kingman or Wickenberg.
Fortunately, I am not a resident, it's just that it's the closest town in proximity to my home, and where I pick up my mail.
I live in a small town of my own. It consists of 80 acres, and the residents include 2 humans, 3 dogs, and about 20 chickens.
It is aptly called Fort Joe, and I am the sheriff, mayor, and the chief financial officer. :D
And yes, the gas prices are high.
I have nothing to do with that, but am a victim myself when I need some gas in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
I know your place it's on the left hand side almost out of town when headed to Vegas. The BBQ place that's closed every time I pass through.

Me loves a good BBQ hope to catch you with the open sign out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know your place it's on the left hand side almost out of town when headed to Vegas. The BBQ place that's closed every time I pass through.

Me loves a good BBQ hope to catch you with the open sign out.
After 10 years of cooking and working the place 24/7 we closed in 2015.
I sold to to someone who turned out to not have a clue about anything. He reopened it making a mockery of what it used to be, and ran it into the ground in 30 days.
He's been closed for over a year now. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
That's a damn shame.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a damn shame.
Yes.
Without going too far into it, if there was a wrong way to do anything, that's what he did.
He took a nice Mom and pop place, and tried to turn it into a bar.
Who in their right mind these days stops at a bar halfway up to Vegas, has some drinks, and gets back on the road?

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
Sounds like he got it about as wrong as he possibly could.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello from Goodyear. I know Wikieup also. Used to have an old customer up there. RH Curtis. Used to own one of the restaurants and had this shed on his land with an old Shell logo and lettering , but the s was missing from Shell. I still laugh every time I drive by it.

Welcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts