Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I added the HID to my 2015 Cross Country right away and in the two months I've owned it I just thought the radio reception sucks. Yesterday I was telling someone how it doesn't scan for stations so we turned the key to AUX (no headlight) and it picked up a TON of stations static free. I turned on the headlight and yea terrible reception and it won't scan just static. I moved the ballast as far bottom right as it would go and it's exactly the same.

I know this issue is a beaten one and I see a LOT of fixes or attempts at fixing but has anyone found a real fix?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
where did you get your kit? crossroads suggested spot is in the upper fairing mount, i know of a guy that mounted his on the outside of the fairing mount, and squatch here made some cage for his

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Mine was so bad it was causing interference with the left speaker as soon as I turned the key on. I moved it up to CR's suggested spot and it's better but not perfect.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where did you get your kit? crossroads suggested spot is in the upper fairing mount, i know of a guy that mounted his on the outside of the fairing mount, and squatch here made some cage for his
I drilled a small hole in the aluminum fairing brace directly behind the light and screwed to it.

mine is a victoryhid

Even local channels fade in and out. I don't use the radio very much but when I do I want it to work.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was so bad it was causing interference with the left speaker as soon as I turned the key on. I moved it up to CR's suggested spot and it's better but not perfect.
Inner upper fairing?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1442802669.497995.jpg
you can see here where i had mind mounted, had the two velcrod together, then velcrod to the fairing mount

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1442804515.731077.jpg

right here, i have the top one pulled off in the pic. you can see it in there though

·
13,043 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm waiting for some more feritte cores to come in to put on the power wire for the hid ballast. I have one on there now and it helped get a couple of stations back in

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm waiting for some more feritte cores to come in to put on the power wire for the hid ballast. I have one on there now and it helped get a couple of stations back in
I was looking at those don't they go on the leads from the ballast to the bulb?

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved it where dtmmill said, wrapped the ballast in very fine stainless steel screen I had and wrapped from the ballast to the bulb in foil and also moved the antenna lead out of the huge bundle of wires and off on it's own. I don't know what one did it but it's WAY better now. Weak channels go away when I go from aux to the HID but stronger to strong channels stay!! I'm getting channels now that I didn't get before and the biggest thing is now the radio will search where it only did in aux before. The snap on feritte cores are cheap I'm also going to add them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I chose to go with the new Victory LED, plenty of light and no issues with the radio.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I chose to go with the new Victory LED, plenty of light and no issues with the radio.
Best way to go but pricey ain't quite there yet, the marriage would suffer if I did that. :grin

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I moved it where dtmmill said, wrapped the ballast in very fine stainless steel screen I had and wrapped from the ballast to the bulb in foil and also moved the antenna lead out of the huge bundle of wires and off on it's own. I don't know what one did it but it's WAY better now. Weak channels go away when I go from aux to the HID but stronger to strong channels stay!! I'm getting channels now that I didn't get before and the biggest thing is now the radio will search where it only did in aux before. The snap on feritte cores are cheap I'm also going to add them.

Sounds like a major win! I am going to do this as well Vin. I imagine any audio store should have those ferrite cores... I believe guys use them to prevent interference and engine noise? Or am I out to lunch...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

ive heard to many times that the beam is to forward focused, i wont run one because of that

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a major win! I am going to do this as well Vin. I imagine any audio store should have those ferrite cores... I believe guys use them to prevent interference and engine noise? Or am I out to lunch...
Radio frequency noise.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
beeing an Electircal Engineer and dealing with noise all the time on control systems. the best place to sink generated noise is as close to the source as possible. ferrite beads only work up to a given frequency. if your generated noise falls outside that, they made not help much. ferrite beads with a grounded shield will work best. make sure you dont have 2 or more grounds for one source. you end up with a ground loop and many times very hard to trouble shoot. just saying

1 - 20 of 26 Posts