Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed both high and low HIDs and ballasts. Put the ballasts up against the inside of the metal framework inside the fairing, on the right side looking towards the bike. Reason for that was that's what was suggested in other posts.

Unfortunately, this kills my FM reception.

Anyone have this problem and if so, what was your solution?

Is there any kind of product a person could maybe wrap the ballasts in to prevent the "whatever it is" from interfering with the FM?

I'm gonna pull the front fairing shell off this evening and somehow solve this.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I installed both high and low HIDs and ballasts. Put the ballasts up against the inside of the metal framework inside the fairing, on the right side looking towards the bike. Reason for that was that's what was suggested in other posts.

Unfortunately, this kills my FM reception.

Anyone have this problem and if so, what was your solution?

Is there any kind of product a person could maybe wrap the ballasts in to prevent the "whatever it is" from interfering with the FM?

I'm gonna pull the front fairing shell off this evening and somehow solve this.
Not all HID kits are created equal. Even the factory HID that Victory offers has serious FM interference and their solution was to mount the ballast under the seat.

The $5-10 you saved getting a kit somewhere else will now have to be spent on a couple of ferrite cores. That's the cheapest, quickest fix. If that does not work, you can build a Faraday cage around your ballasts. You can Google that and you will find instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The $5-10 you saved getting a kit somewhere else will now have to be spent on a couple of ferrite cores. That's the cheapest, quickest fix. If that does not work, you can build a Faraday cage around your ballasts. You can Google that and you will find instructions on how to do it.
Not clear on what you mean by "The $5-10 you saved getting a kit somewhere else" ....

Where should I have gotten it? Victory HID? If so, fwiw, I paid the same amount locally. My savings is in the shipping cost but I see no difference in product.

oh, and thanks for the tip on the Faraday cage. Simple!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... My savings is in the shipping cost but I see no difference in product.
Ok, the product you have purchased is not insulted. Yes, you won't see the difference, but you are seeing the effects of it. ;)

oh, and thanks for the tip on the Faraday cage. Simple!
You're welcome. Hope it solves your problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're welcome. Hope it solves your problem.
Wrapped the ballasts in tin foil ... no more interference.

I did notice that the antenna wire was routed real close to the ballast so I re-routed it. Not sure if that made any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts