Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several threads here about swapping over to a "conversion" HID. Also have read similar on other forums, I get the pros vs cons thing. My question concerns an HID for high beam on the XCT. I have not had a bike I can remember with 2 separate bulbs in it. From what I can find the XCT uses the same bulb for high beam and low, a H 11.
So if a fellow was going to go HID, could or should he go HID for high beam also? I have to figure you would just install a double type kit, 2 ballasts, bulbs etc. My Venture has a single bulb and I went bi-xenon to get a high and low beam and it works good after headlight adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I did HID for both low and high beam. It required dual ballasts. The problem with them is they take a few seconds to warm up. Not very useful for flash-to-pass. I ended up changing it out for an LED bulb. Ultimately I want to install the Victory LED headlight.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So was it better with dual HID? Not much more noticeable? I know about the slow start due to the low voltage shut off of ballast. On my Venture I run the headlight thru a dedicated switch. But If I do another one, I am going to look into a time delay start relay or maybe wire it up thru the brake light switch to activate it. Your not going to get far without hitting the brake, and it would automatically turn it on so you wouldn't forget to turn it on.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Who cares about the low beam? If you're gonna do only ONE do the high beam. That way when you need to see you have the best high beam. When putzing around with the low beam only, you are likely going slow in traffic and can't see **** anyway.

I did just the HID high beam at first... now I have both... I really didn't benefit from the HID low beam at all. Can hardly tell. If it's one or the other, do the high beam.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The HID threw the most light in high beam but it was horrible for flashing because of the 10-second warmup. Definitely better light than the LED. If you want more light, do the HID. The LED bulb I replaced it with is extremely visible but doesn't throw useable riding light over and above the low beam HID. It's more of a safety/conspicuity thing.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HID threw the most light in high beam but it was horrible for flashing because of the 10-second warmup. Definitely better light than the LED. If you want more light, do the HID. The LED bulb I replaced it with is extremely visible but doesn't throw useable riding light over and above the low beam HID. It's more of a safety/conspicuity thing.
Thanks for LED info. Will cross that one off the list. I have run with a couple HD gus with LED set up and they seem to throw pretty good light out. But they also have like $7-800 bucks worth of headlight, passing lights etc on them. I'm looking at usable light. Will probably figure out some kind of passing/fog/driving light idea for a little more conspicuous.
The warm up thing is also why you cant use an HID with a modulator. Guess I could go HID low beam and add a modulator to high beam for daylight. Boy that would probably get me seen.... By the wrong guys in the funny looking cars with lights.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
There are a few things to keep in mind:
1) I was referring to LED "replacement" bulbs, not the Victory official LED headlight. The Vic light is much better than any replacement LED bulbs and I would like to get one soon.
2) Every time you turn on an HID lamp, it is 'ignited' by an ignitor to get the arc going. If you use a modulator, I would imagine that ignitor would fire on every pulse of the modulator.
3) I also have a pair of LED 'driving lights'. Yea, they throw light, but they are more visible to oncoming traffic vs the light I use to see by (same as LED replacement headlight bulbs).

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
There are a few things to keep in mind:
1) I was referring to LED "replacement" bulbs, not the Victory official LED headlight. The Vic light is much better than any replacement LED bulbs and I would like to get one soon.
2) Every time you turn on an HID lamp, it is 'ignited' by an ignitor to get the arc going. If you use a modulator, I would imagine that ignitor would fire on every pulse of the modulator.
3) I also have a pair of LED 'driving lights'. Yea, they throw light, but they are more visible to oncoming traffic vs the light I use to see by (same as LED replacement headlight bulbs).
Do you have a part number for the LED high beam? What one and where did you get it.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Do you have a part number for the LED high beam? What one and where did you get it.
The LED I have isn't a Vic part, I just bought a set on eBay for the hell of it. This is the one I ordered (in the correct base, of course):
6000K 60W 4000 LM High Power LED Bulb Headlight Kit H11 9006 9007 H13 H4 H7 H1 | eBay

Note that they don't have cooling fans. Some of them have cooling fans and I deem them them to be unreliable. I see how they often go bad in a computer environment, can't imagine them on a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Thank you sir.
Just keep in mind they don't throw a lot of usable light; they are better suited for others to see you. I was very disappointed with them for seeing, but they flash instantly for warning purposes.

·
12,983 Posts
so you don't think these would last very long.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headlight-Bulbs-Clear-Arc-Beam/dp/B00VNBDWPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450741381&sr=1-1&keywords=opt7[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Just keep in mind they don't throw a lot of usable light; they are better suited for others to see you. I was very disappointed with them for seeing, but they flash instantly for warning purposes.
I'll just stay with the OEM high beam I have HID low and it's very bright and well directed. Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the Victory (Crossroads) HID low and high beam. The high beam throws incredible light which |I can use especially because I live in the country. I also like the low beam because of its brightness and colour 5000 Calvin I think. The only drawback with the low sometimes it will not come on because of the initial voltage, so you have to check before riding and I have ridden when the light does not spark up.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I don't think so because they have a small cooling fan on the end that is similar to the very small fans used on PC graphics cards. Typically they don't last very long in a quiet environment, don't want to subject them to an outdoor, shaky environment such as inside a motorcycle headlight.

I may be totally wrong because I have never used them, but I won't chance it.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
The LED I have isn't a Vic part, I just bought a set on eBay for the hell of it. This is the one I ordered (in the correct base, of course):
6000K 60W 4000 LM High Power LED Bulb Headlight Kit H11 9006 9007 H13 H4 H7 H1 | eBay

Note that they don't have cooling fans. Some of them have cooling fans and I deem them them to be unreliable. I see how they often go bad in a computer environment, can't imagine them on a motorcycle.
H11s - our size - are out of stock it sez.:crying

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
H11s - our size - are out of stock it sez.:crying
Sorry, but that's probably a good thing. I'll just probably put a standard H11 halogen back in for high beam until I get the Vic LED headlight thing. The light pattern is too spread out, they don't work well with the Vic XCT reflectors.

Want mine? One is barely used, and the other one only slightly more than that...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the Victory (Crossroads) HID low and high beam. The high beam throws incredible light which |I can use especially because I live in the country. I also like the low beam because of its brightness and colour 5000 Calvin I think. The only drawback with the low sometimes it will not come on because of the initial voltage, so you have to check before riding and I have ridden when the light does not spark up.
You are correct. The ballast have a "low voltage" circuit built in. So if connected direct you turn key on and light is on. then you buzz starter, voltage drops below cut off light goes out. Soon as bike is up and running lights back on. But its ruff on the equipment figuring the stuff has to start the bulb 2 or 3 times for every time you go start the bike. I have a toggle switch connected thru a relay on my RSV. Small LED light that flashes at me when light is off to remind me it is off.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, but that's probably a good thing. I'll just probably put a standard H11 halogen back in for high beam until I get the Vic LED headlight thing. The light pattern is too spread out, they don't work well with the Vic XCT reflectors.

Want mine? One is barely used, and the other one only slightly more than that...
what about one of these bad boys. For a halogen they are pretty bright. I have run a similar bulb in my 900 vulcan. Actually it was a 80w low 100w high beam. That bulb actually was a sylvania.
Standard H11 bulbs are 55w, this one is 80w

1 - 20 of 26 Posts