Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
13,239 Posts
If you do a search on the net the rumorer is they make K&N oil filters
Guys rate the filter as being good.

I go to auto store pick up WIX for $6.95 and call it good like 90% of the other guys here

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yea, I know this is an old thread.

I was just doing some research on this topic. From what I have read...remember I read it on the internet. The Wix filter is rated at 21 micron and the OEM Polaris filter is rated at 10 micron. While looking into filter specs I read a lot about filter dissections/comparisons and those that did the comparisons/dissections said all the aftermarket filters looked to be identical to the Polaris filter inside. I have no idea how someone would be able to tell what size particles the filter media is capable of trapping by looking at it. A micron sounds real small and in the scheme of things I doubt the difference is noticeable long term. Anyway....

mi·cron
ˈmīˌkrän/
noun
noun: micron; plural noun: microns

a unit of length equal to one millionth of a meter, used in many technological and scientific fields.

Tech23

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What you can tell after a filter has been in service for a number of miles is whether one filter plugs faster than another. In other fields I was able to select media based on filter micron size. In those uses the 10 and 20 micron filters were dramatically different. The 10 micron plugged up at least 4 or 5 times faster in actual use than the 20.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
oil filter

so whats the bottom line here? Victory wants $21 Aus for a genuine fliter, theres a cleanable unit for $189, or a generic one that wont filter as fine but wont block up as easy??

·
Registered
44 Posts
With how clean the new engines run, and if you change your filter with the oil every time (pretty sure that we all do) you really don't have to worry about a filter plugging up, not unless there is something wrong with your motor. Personally I like a filter that takes out smaller particles thumb up, even small particles can raise hell with rod and crankshaft bearings. I paid a bunch of money for the bike, a little extra for a filter here and there doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another user of Hi-Flo ......thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
With how clean the new engines run, and if you change your filter with the oil every time (pretty sure that we all do) you really don't have to worry about a filter plugging up, not unless there is something wrong with your motor. Personally I like a filter that takes out smaller particles thumb up, even small particles can raise hell with rod and crankshaft bearings. I paid a bunch of money for the bike, a little extra for a filter here and there doesn't bother me too much.
Only an Amsoil nanofiber eaOm103 for this guy...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
YEAH! Thats the K+P cleanable filter, Ive emailed them on ebay to ask what micron it goes to , but as of today havent heard back.
one would think the magnet would take even the finest metallic particle (My old XS650 Yammy had two big magnets on the drain plugs and always had manetised sludge of some form or other on them at change time)

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
word on the washable filter!

Just heard back from the K+P people
We use ASTMF316 testing procedures which eliminate many of the user variables found in the SAE procedures. We sent filter media from several common brands of paper filters to the lab to be run through the ASTM test.

The results for the paper filters ranged from 48 microns for the best filter to over 300 microns for the worst filter. Paper media filters pass particles anywhere between 50 and 90 microns. Paper filters are rated on averages, percentages of efficiency (also known as beta ratios) and multiple passes, so a 10 micron rated paper filter (as advertised on the packaging) may be letting particles 50 microns and larger through.

The medical grade stainless steel cloth that we use is consistent across the entire media surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns will pass through the material. The bottom line is we meet or exceed the filtration performance of OEM filters with improved oil flow at lower pressure.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think I am going to buy a K+P. Looks amazing and I will never have to buy a filter again. The exposed filter looks ordinary anyway.

Did I read somewhere that WD does a magnetic sump plug as well or is that just in the filter?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
You can buy a separate oil drain plug magnet from WD but he also sells the K&P filters with them built in.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
yes

yes I think I'll go the same K+P way too, plus a magnetic drain plug.
The way a Victory power plant is engineered and built, and with proper break-in and regular maintenance in the way of oil changes they will have legendary lifespans before rebuild I'm betting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts