Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is my first post and thanks to all for your experience and open minded advice. I love the looks of Vics and HD so I have narrowed my bike purchase down to 2 bikes. Vic High Ball and HD Steet Bob. I love both bikes and the last thing i need to make my decision is cost of ownership i.e. yearly maintainence cost. This may seam as a strange or even silly deciding factor but its important to me. For example, I bought a 2007 mustang 5 years ago and have only changed tires, oil and gas for the last 80k miles. For this reason I have never regreted my purchase....knowing my personality if I had to spend lots of money in maintainence and upkeep I would have had buyers remorse and regreted the purchase. Again thanks for your first hand experience and advice.

Thanks

Gary

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hi guys this is my first post and thanks to all for your experience and open minded advice. I love the looks of Vics and HD so I have narrowed my bike purchase down to 2 bikes. Vic High Ball and HD Steet Bob. I love both bikes and the last thing i need to make my decision is cost of ownership i.e. yearly maintainence cost. This may seam as a strange or even silly deciding factor but its important to me. For example, I bought a 2007 mustang 5 years ago and have only changed tires, oil and gas for the last 80k miles. For this reason I have never regreted my purchase....knowing my personality if I had to spend lots of money in maintainence and upkeep I would have had buyers remorse and regreted the purchase. Again thanks for your first hand experience and advice.

Thanks

Gary
Both motorcycles are low maintenance, but the Harley does require changing 3 oils as opposed to 1 on the Victory. Other things they share are brake and fork fluid.

If you want simple, either is about as simple as it gets. The Vic offers better performance and costs less, but according to art aficionados, the Harley has better paint. Personally, I like the paint on my Vic just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Saddlebag.

Yes I love the paint of the victory bikes too! Does anyone know a ball park figure of how much the maintainance cost of a High Ball would run per year......assuming that i ride 6k per year?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Highball has 11,000 on it, only maintenance expense so far is three oil changes. Tires will be coming soon probably another 2-3 thousand miles. Great Bike with no issues. I am sure the Harley would be comparable as far as maintenance cost though.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Thanks Saddlebag.

Yes I love the paint of the victory bikes too! Does anyone know a ball park figure of how much the maintainance cost of a High Ball would run per year......assuming that i ride 6k per year?
Years 1 &2

~$15 for a filter.

~$30 for a five quarts of oil.

You may need to change the tires at the end of year 2

Your third year you should change brake fluid and fork oil. I'm guessing a shop would probably charge a few hundred to do that.

You also need to hit a few spots with grease now and then.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I couldn't imagine the cost being much different but after doing some research I found a few things that give some points to the Vic. Harley bikes are billed with a minimum of an hour labor do to the location of the filter if you take the bike in to a shop for servicing. Also the belt is also much costlier to replace than on the Vic. Those are just a quick two I found, also dont forget that the majority of parts are a bit costlier on the Harley as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would think that the HD is going to cost more to start with, as long as you're factoring in total costs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well put it this way I bought a jackpot and my buddy bought a street glide, both brand new. We usually ride together all the time so we have about the same amount of miles, and about a month ago we had our first oil change/service. Mine cost $150 i think or around there only without the bike for a couple hours, his about $500 and his bike was down for about 2-3 days but they gave him a rental for free. O and he got a detail for free also.

Next we both decided we wanted exhaust I got prices for around $1000 for the vic exhaust, he just got rush exhaust cost him over $2200. O yea and even with my stock and 100 ci I blow his 103 away. (yes i know his is a bagger and heaver)

Both great companies, great bikes out of my opinion I would say vic might be cheaper. HD though there is a dealer on every corner so once it starts leaking oil you'll be all set. haha jk, but good luck tough decisions I love the high ball kind of wish i checked them out before i got the jackpot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, this really helps a ton! I have been looking on the internet for literally 2-3 weeks for this info. You guys have offered more help and insite in less than 24 hours.

From what I am getting from everyone, is that the Victory bikes would mirror my Ford Mustang example much more than a HD.

Quick side note. I have found a great buy on a custom Kingpin. From the looks of the two bikes (this one already has the Highball front and back fenders) it would be very easy to convert to a Highball.

Will the kick @$$ High Ball fat front tire fit on a kingpin?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't know...but HardBall front rims and tires are the same size as the Kingpin.
Both the High & Hardball's run 16" rear wheels. Kingpin is 18"

·
Registered
16 Posts
More info available by video

There was a series of 5 videos that compare the Vic and HD motor designs and discuss long term durability issues. They should still be on YouTube.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There was a series of 5 videos that compare the Vic and HD motor designs and discuss long term durability issues. They should still be on YouTube.
You should check out these vids, I did and they really made me look twice and the overall cost of a Street bob or Victory.
My local Victory dealer had a 09 Kingpin 8 Ball with 1900 miles on it so that's what I ended up with. VERY HAPPY! Almost got the High Ball but the price on the Kingpin was just too good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys you have been a huge help in my decision.

I went to my victory dealer here in KC MO, and sat on a few bikes including a Hammer, Kingpin, Judge, and the Highball. Really loved them all, very comfortable and super cool styles all around.

I then went straight to the HD dealership and sat on no less than 9 bikes including the Street Bob, FB low, Fat Bob, V rod Nightrod, and soft tail slim, just to name a few. All also beutifull bikes.... but in the end, to my suprise I fell in love with not the High Ball which was awesome, but the Hammer!

I then found a used one on craigs list and got it for a great price! I pick it up next week.

Thanks again for all of your help and insite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts