Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 05 Kingpin and had the bike into the local Victory dealership to get ready for the summer riding season. They performed all regular maintenance and said bike was ready to go. I have been riding for the last month and have noticed two things that I am hoping someone can help me with.
1. After I fill up and leave the gas station, my check engine light comes on. I pull over, turn the bike off, restart and the light does not come back on again. This has happened the last 2 times that I have filled up. Any idea why? I use either 92 or 94 Octane.
2. When I turn my bike off I hear a high pitch whine. Sometimes it only lasts a short time and last night it went on for about an hour. I opened the gas cap and it stopped but then started again a minute or so after I closed the gas cap and continued for quite a long time. I rode again tonight (not nearly as far) but the bike did not make any noise at all when I turned it off but did make the same sound when I straightened the steering before I went out.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
13,185 Posts
check your gas cap for venting. Look to see if there is something blocking the vent hole or passage way. You should be able to hold it up to your mouth and blow threw it.
As for your light fill up ride to dealer and don't shut bike off go grab service guy and show him

·
Registered
229 Posts
A previous owner my have plugged the gas tank vent tube. You should be able to find it near the rear of the motor.
My wife's 05 KP had an issue with the check engine light. it turns out she wasn't holding the clutch all the way in at stops and the clutch sensor was causing errors. probably not whats causing you light to come on, but something to keep in mind. your dealer should be able to hook up to your bike and tell you exactly what's wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The whistling Kingpin gas cap has been a pretty common condition over the years. At least on the early ones. Someone had a fix for it years ago but I honestly dont recall what it was now. My 04 has always done it. Still does. I ignore it.

Not sure about your check engine light but I dont think its related to the whistling fuel tank. A low battery will trigger a chk engine, might be the battery is getting tired ?

jb

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Kingpin today. I thought I heard whistle-type noise (maybe even like a teapot?) a couple times when I had to stop at stoplights.
Maybe it was the bike?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The whistling Kingpin gas cap has been a pretty common condition over the years. At least on the early ones. Someone had a fix for it years ago but I honestly dont recall what it was now. My 04 has always done it. Still does. I ignore it.

jb

+1, My 2004 Vegas does it every time i shut the bike off, especially after i fill up and bring it home. Its venting. repeated whistle noises. Doesnt hurt anything, i ignore it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Screw on fuel cap?

Is the fuel cap a screw on for these bikes? If it is I would try and make sure the vent is working. Some of the screw on caps come apart easily and you can take it apart and see if there is some dirt or debris inside causing it not to vent good.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You are not overfilling the tank. I have an 05 and fill it full every couple days no problem. However, when I bought my Kingpin a few years ago, it whistled from the gas cap too. The fix is to remove the gas cap.Then disassemble it. There is a rubber diaphragm in the middle.It is suppose to relieve pressure.It may have a small hole in it, I can't remember. Anyway, just put a small + shaped split in the middle of it and reassemble. No more whistle. That whistle used to drive me nuts. There is a great "how to" with pics on another site, but this site won't allow me to tell you where.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
MY Bad

I just looked at the tutorialagain and you don't cut a + slit in the rubber, you just slit the edges of the rubber.Like 3 slits from the outer edge in towards the center. Just about half way to center.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine only does this when its hot and the sun is beating on it. Never tried opening the cap while it was singing but I'm certain that'd stop it...temporarily.

jb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts