Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my ride home from work I kept hearing this high pitched whine/whistle which I thought was just ringing in my ears (which has a tendency to happen lol). When I got home and got off the bike I noticed that the whine did not move with me so I went back to the bike and tried to figure out where it was coming from.

At first it sounded like it was coming from the speedo... then the idiot light cluster... then it just slowly tapered off. Turned the key back on and cycled the fuel pump and the noise did not return. Started the bike and within 10-15 seconds the noise was back. Shut the bike back off and it continued. Took a short video of it with my phone just to get the sound recorded then waited for it to stop.. which it didn't. So I looked further without much success. Decided to take my stuff into the house and come back out a little later to check to see if it stopped and for some reason I decided to pop open the gas cap... noise abruptly stopped. Started the bike back up and waited for it to come back.. but it didn't. With the release of pressure I can tell that it is a "vacuum" issue but exactly what is causing it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I believe you guys hit the nail on the head. If you have ever driven an outboard motor and the gas cap vent was closed or plugged the same thing would happen or the motor would starve of gas. Airlock

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My Kingpin used to whistle like that. I found info on another site to fix it. You pull the gas cap apart and there is a little rubber diaphragm that is suppose to relieve the pressure. You just put a small + shaped split in the middle of it and problem solved. That whistling used to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can see that the prior owner of the bike had noticed the issue... I checked around the seal of the cap and sure enough it was a little slick.. there was excess vaseline in a couple spots around the mouth of the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts