Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw a XC this week with these bright white LED spot lights mounted on the crash bars. Looked awesome and made him much more visible to oncoming traffic. Do want on my King Pin!

Anyone know what these are, where to find them. They were fully chrome housings, tear drop shaped and looked like they belonged on the crash bars! thumb up

Can't find anything like this online. Looks like high end LED driving lights are $300 or more per set!

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
They're not chrome, but I bought two of these for $17.65 each.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0LH8I2/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I second the motion....
I have a pair of Clearwater Darla high power LED road lights--2,000 lumens (each) of conspicuity and illumination love. They are not cheap, by any means, but they are very high tech, exceedingly well made and have features others don't. Besides, my life is worth a lot more than those lights cost.
The thing that attracted me to Clearwater lights is they are wired in to BOTH high and low beams. To prevent dazzling oncoming traffic, there is a handlebar mounted controller that adjusts the brightness when on low beam. When high beam is selected, the lights go to 100%.
I have never liked riding at night, but now, with the Darlas and CrossRoad's HID in my high beam, I volunteer for night rides. Here's a link to what I think are the best road lights....
http://clearwaterlights.com/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those Clearwater lights look pretty cool but I'm hesitant to bolt a $300 part on my bike that could be stolen if the thief has an Allen wrench and 30 seconds alone with my bike. :eek:

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Those Clearwater lights look pretty cool but I'm hesitant to bolt a $300 part on my bike that could be stolen if the thief has an Allen wrench and 30 seconds alone with my bike. :eek:
HELP! The paranoids are after me! Where do you live that that's gonna happen? If you are that concerned, use security bolts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELP! The paranoids are after me! Where do you live that that's gonna happen? If you are that concerned, use security bolts.
Not worried about it parked in my garage more like when I'm out traveling parking in random hotel parking lots and such. There is a fine line between paranoia and wanting to secure my equipment from theft that I walk. :crzy:

All said the price and risk of theft is not enough to deter me from the purchase. This is an excellent safety improvement.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Don't worry about it. They can steal the whole bkie with a safety pin and 30 seconds, with 15-20 seconds to spare.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Saw it done. Defeated the Digital Guard Dog system while he was at it. He did that way to fast and easy. He had no knowledge of the bikes first hand before the demonstration. It was also about the fastest of the 8 machines he started up.
28 seconds and he was rolling. Vic wasn't his only "victim" that day, and he said factory was a little more difficult.
If you were unfortunate enough to have this fellow in desire of your bike, it would be his in short order. Short of a SWAT team, and any security would be mute.
Now, this is not the normal mouth breathing smash and grab type, as you already probably figured out, but this guy said factory integrated was the most challenging to defeat. The dude hates some systems, loves others.
cheers

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Not worried about it parked in my garage more like when I'm out traveling parking in random hotel parking lots and such. There is a fine line between paranoia and wanting to secure my equipment from theft that I walk. :crzy:

All said the price and risk of theft is not enough to deter me from the purchase. This is an excellent safety improvement.
Atta boy...go for it. I've been touring since the 70s and parked my bike(s) at many a motel with nary a problem. I select motels with outside doors and request a ground floor room so I can park outside the door. If a motel with corridors is the only option, I ask if I can park my bike under their entrance portico or I get a ground floor room and park outside the window. A lightweight full bike cover helps to avoid prying eyes and rolls up into a tight package.
While I'm thinking of it, here's another helpful motel hint; don't park near a lawn or planter with sprinklers, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This thread is wandering from the OP's original question, i.e., trying to find a specific setup. I can't help with that question; maybe he should check with Arizona Victory, because maybe they're the spots/bars they make for police bikes (although with a teardrop shape, it doesn't sound like it).

I can, however, go with the drifting of the thread. For really comprehensive tests of a whole boatload of extra lights, folks should check out the reviews at webBikeWorld; their lighting page is http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/ , and the first grouping is "Motorcycle Auxiliary Light Reviews."

Me, from two bikes ago now, I use Motolights. I had them, and they're good for day-time conspicuity and night-time roadside fill-in, and they're quality items. But if you want quarter-mile-down-the-road lights, check out Clearwater, Denali, et al., which are in a whole nuther class from Motolights; see those wBW reviews.

OTOH, if you want big-time conspicuity, probably even better than the Motolights, you might want to look at Photon Blasters ( http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/PB_Features.shtml ). These are typically fork-mounted.

On the third hand, if you're more into design than either conspicuity or turn-night-into-day riding, looking to see what Kuryakyn has to offer is, I think, a good place to start.

Here's an unretouched Deals Gap shot, with my '12 HID low beam on, and the Motolights, with 5-watt per-side LEDs.

Happy hunting.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Don't worry about it. They can steal the whole bkie with a safety pin and 30 seconds, with 15-20 seconds to spare.
Now that I've read this, it makes perfect sense. Didn't ever enter my mind until now but I would agree with you and I know exactly how I'd do it. Rotor lock, anyone?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts