Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So interesting issue came up for me the other day and any input would be appreciated.

Bike in question - 2008 Victory Vegas 12,000 miles
Issue - During ride engine light came on, later found headlight had blown out. Found voltage spiking at over 18V!!! :eek:
Voltage at idle is anywhere from 12-15V and spiking around 3500 RPM.
Dealer is nearly 40 miles away and I do not want to risk any additional damage at running such a high voltage.

As of now I am suspecting voltage regulator but I was reaching out to find out if there are any other techniques I could try to narrow it down a bit further.

The bike had set for nearly a year to what was suppose to be on a battery tender, room mate unplugged it and the battery was completely dead. Being as it had been 5 years I just decided to get a new battery instead of trying to resuscitate.

All connections have been cleaned and triple checked.
New battery - Duralast Gold/Powersport AGM battery ETX20L

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
As of now I am suspecting voltage regulator...
Yep, it's the voltage regulator. You can replace it yourself to save yourself the tow to the dealer.
...but I was reaching out to find out if there are any other techniques I could try to narrow it down a bit further.
It's the voltage regulator. You don't have to try/test anything else.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that sums it up pretty easily. Thank you for the quick response.

Any vendors that you would recommend? I am kinda disappointed that this one went out with only 12,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well that sums it up pretty easily. Thank you for the quick response.

Any vendors that you would recommend? I am kinda disappointed that this one went out with only 12,000 miles.
Not so fast. A voltage regulator that failed to regulate the input ac at high rpm would indeed cause excessive voltage. But a voltage regulator trying to regulate a rectified generator input that lost a phase could also cause an abnormally high reading.

If you've got a scope and can verify that all phases are there and relatively equal, I'd replace the VR, otherwise, replace the stator.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually in the process of finding the plug to the stator just so I could check the ohms. Unfortunately the only oscope I have access to is at the office, which I am not allowed to bring home.

·
13,247 Posts
go to any store and buy a volt meter. If you have bad stator and put in a new regulator it will burn it up and your new battery to.
So check stator for out put. FIRST
Guys have found oil or goo inside regulator plug.
When your getting a volt meter pick up some electric clean

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stator checked good for ohms. The connectors do not allow for me to test the voltage while running.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Stator checked good for ohms. The connectors do not allow for me to test the voltage while running.
Resistance isn't a bad check, but it induces very little stress into the coils. If the insulation is bad, but not completely shot, inducing operating voltage may be the only sure way to check it.

OTOH, given that the stator resistance checked out, I'd probably be willing to bet on a bad VR and replace it myself. WTH, even if it doesn't turn out to be the problem, not the worse thing in the world to have on the shelf.

Speaking of **** on the shelf. I recently had a fuckload of mice in my attic. I iced them with high quality blood thinners, but recently went up to find my guitar cases clawed all to hell. That was about a month ago.

For whatever reason, it just struck me that I have a pristine set of leather XR bags that probably got shredded by the goddamn rodents too. I'm a little too scared to go up to check just yet.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Shouldn't store guitars in the attic. It gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.
The guitars themselves stay in my very properly humidified abode. Their cases reside in the attic.

I wrapped my XR bags in plastic bags and it doesn't appear the damn mice messed with them (whew!). They are also vinyl. Perhaps mice just like genuine bovine skin for some reason?

·
Registered
586 Posts
The exact same thing happened on my 2008 Kingpin at similar mileage. Headlight blown, check engine light on, voltage high at 18 volts. Voltage regulator fixed it! End of story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts