Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a bit of searching, and haven't really found an answer.
First off, who here has a Progressive rear shock on their Highball? I am looking at the 465 Series Shock (according to Progressive's website, it should fit the Highball) and it offers it in short or long. Where do I measure on the bike to determine which length I will need? Does anyone have any advice, or opinions on this shock?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Got a 465 long on my Vegas, same thing as a Highball basically without the mini-apes.
I went the long cos I ride lotsa corners and bends and even with the 1" longer shock setup correct it drags bits on the road.
Not really a problem after 50,000 miles I got the cornering technique sussed.
long or short depends if yr after lowslung looks or performance
your choice........It is a good shock set up right...:smile

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I generally ride in the wide open flat prairies of Southern Alberta. I'm looking at something that will assist in extending my seat time, and save my tailbone. If Vic could do any changes, it's hire out a different company to make their seats, and rear suspension.

·
12,970 Posts
might be you need a new seat not a shock. You'll find this silly but put a pillow under you but and take a ride. If that makes the difference then look for a seat.
you want to measure shock eyelet to eyelet.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I use an Airhawk R, it is fantastic when used to the directions.
Victory builds an excellent bike to a price structure.
If all components were high-end a lot of us couldnt afford to ride em.
Im quite happy to upgrade my bike in areas that suit my riding style and use.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've thought about using the Airhawk R with a new shock. It would be less expensive than a new seat. I've heard great reviews of the Airhawk. I will consider trying that first. I am going to have my bike apart for the winter (new paint), just figured it would be easier to replace the shock. Might still do that anyway.

I agree about the bikes being great for the price point ( and beyond in my opinion).

Thanks for the replies!

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I've thought about using the Airhawk R with a new shock. It would be less expensive than a new seat. I've heard great reviews of the Airhawk. I will consider trying that first. I am going to have my bike apart for the winter (new paint), just figured it would be easier to replace the shock. Might still do that anyway.

I agree about the bikes being great for the price point ( and beyond in my opinion).

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah I use the Airhawk R plus Ive fitted a long Progressive 465 with the sag and rebound set nice....different bike with a good shock.
I also have the removable Grasshopper backrest for some lower back support when my woman's not there to provide that.
Though if youre running a solo highball thatd spoil the look as I think the Grasshopper mounts only off the underside of the pillion seat thats how mine works anyway.
Core strength and posture coupled with a decent shock and an Airhawk R and youll be unstoppable except for fuel stops.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't mind me asking, what is the Progressive Part number of the 465 shock you used?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Dunno the part number, mines a 465 longer version for a Victory cruiser.
Progressives website may give you a number.
Theres the normal 465 and another 465 thats an inch shorter..

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Had a look and they dont list part number.
Have you got a shock that you not sure what it fits or something?

As to long or short, if youre riding wide open prairies on a Highball you may want the lower version of the 465
It wouldnt suit my riding though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
465-1163 Stock Length is the one I was looking at. Which the website suggests. The 465 looks like it fits numerous bikes. I've emailed Progressive and asked some questions. Hopefully I get a satisfactory answer.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
465-1163 Stock Length is the one I was looking at. Which the website suggests. The 465 looks like it fits numerous bikes. I've emailed Progressive and asked some questions. Hopefully I get a satisfactory answer.
Please let us know your Q and A when they reply

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
What's your questions? We have been selling the 465 for years. I have one on my own bike and its a heck of a lot better than stock.
me too, the 465 is magic, as Ive said many times over.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Considering Progressive still hasn't responded to my inquiry (busy or otherwise) I'll ask WD.

First off, My riding consists mainly of flat ass prairie riding, with the occasional mountain jaunt. So cornering is not a priority.

Which 465 would be best suited, the long or short?

Are the shocks pre adjusted from factory, or does it get set at a neutral point and fine tuning done on the seat? (so to speak)

What are the part numbers for the 465 for the Highball?
The place I looked at say it will not fit my bike.

Any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I think @witchdoctor will back this up,
Itll fit, ...Victory cruiser shock is all the same only choice is long or short.
Thats is up to you but I'd think short may suit you and your bike and your riding.
As for setup tell em your weight for the spring rating.
You can then fine tune your sag and rebound to suit.
Theres countless YouTube vids that cover sag. Rebounds personal preference can be done on the roadside with an Allen key 1-5
Mines on 4.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi Guys, I am interested in this too. The Highball is already an inch shorter in height at the rear than the Vegas right?

Does that mean the Progressive short is the like for like version for our bikes that will keep the same ride height and just improve the ride?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I cant speak for the Highball but that sounds like it could be right to me.
After all the Vegas and Vegas Low had the variants in shock height.
Measuring your shock would verify what you want/need/require

·
Vendor
129 Posts
I will do some double checking on the length of the highball shock.
As for the shorter 465- we have never sold one so that should answer which one is more popular. BUT if the shorter one is what a HB takes I'll find out.

On my bike I don't do much cornering and that type of riding. What it does offer is that when you hit that bump and you get that jolt up through your spine- it takes that away almost 100%. It smooths out the ride considerably. We sell both the Penske and this 465 and we sell hands down way more 465 than Penske.

I explain to people - if you are the racer type and understand shock and suspension tuning then go with the Penske. If you like to have more options "just because" and your the person that does not care about cost the Penske is the way to go.

If you want a great ride with some adjustability for a lot less money the 465 is the way to go. For me and most people that have given me feedback the 465 is ready to go right out of the box and you don't need to do anything to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts