1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[EDIT, 07/28: SOLD!]

[EDIT, 07/24: SALE PENDING!]

[EDIT, 07/14: Just stuck a price-tag of $11,000 on this.]

My sunset red 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour is for sale.

Purchased new, January 2012, it now has about 35,000 miles, and is in excellent condition. The only things wrong with it are a few very tiny chips in the paint, as you would expect on the fender and fairing of a bike that's actually been ridden.

Also, there is some internal peeling, on one side of the trunk's LED light, which is noticeable only if you're looking for it. Mine is not the first XCT to have developed this cosmetic-only problem.

But that's it.

I'm selling it because of a combination of factors.

I'm 69 years old, and the bike is getting too heavy for me. If I were in tip-top shape, this might not be an issue, but I'm not, so it is. I'm now working off my second annual cortisone shot in my left hip.

Also, as a result of medical issues, my wife hardly ever rides pillion. So there's unneeded capacity there, riding solo.

Last fall, I bought a used 650 scooter (and had one before, too). For me, now, the 650 is just less effort, more fun.

Last, I could use the room in the garage.

Price, Contact, etc.:

I plan on putting the XCT on eBay in a few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone would like to make a reasonable offer on this bike, please contact me: [email protected]. I won't be checking in here from 07/15 - 07/24, but I'll try to check email.

I'm not sure what a reasonable offer would be these days, so if you have any thoughts on that, chime in.

I took some pictures of the bike this week: 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour For Sale.

It has the two pictures attached here, and 15 more.

For a history of the assorted farkles I've added over five years, see my XCT gallery. Here's a summary.

Comfort and Convenience Enhancements:

HeliBars adjustable handlebars, black ($700)

Madstad 11" light-gray windshield and brackets ($210)

Sage Brush Designs tank bib with pouch ($175)

Utopia driver backrest with quick-out option and pouch ($308)

Dain's Victory Brake Pedals "Regular Long Horn" brake pedal ($84)

Vibranators black bar-end weights ($120)

KewlMetal heel shifter ($90)

Victory passenger grab rails (part# 2877480) ($300)

BeadRider driver seat beads, ceramic ($47)

Performance Enhancements:

Power Commander V ($370), installed at Lloyd's Motorworkz, dyno-tuned ($250) by Lloyd Greer himself

Lloyd'z High-Flow Air Filter -- XC/XR ($135), installed at Lloyd's Motorworkz

Centramatics wheel balancers, front and rear ($290), installed at Zack's V-Twins in Hyde Park, NY

Lyndall Gold brake pads, front and rear (installed at 30,020 miles) ($190)

Doran 360M TPMS ($200)

Iridium sparkplugs (NGK DCPR6EIX) ($14)

Victory high-performance sparkplug wires (part# 2880797-015) ($30)

Lighting and Safety Enhancements:

Brand new (less than 100 miles) Avon Cobra rear tire; about 7,400 miles (about mid-life) on front Avon Cobra tire

Motolight caliper-mounted lights ($349), with halogen lights replaced by LED bulbs

Rivco mirrors, black frames, with front- and rear-facing LED turn signals and front-facing running-light LEDs ($250) (see Adding Rivco LED Mirrors to XCT)

Kuryakyn Sabertooth LED saddlebag run-and-brake lights, chrome ($160 (gift))

CustomLED Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher ($45)

Stebel Nautilus dual-trumpet air horn ($50), relay-triggered, with diode protection

Brukus SaddleSecure saddlebag replacement fasteners ($38)

Headlight protective clear plastic guard, with 3M dual-lock.

Electrical Enhancements:

Electrical Connection trailer isolator and harness ($80) for Rivco mirrors installation

Victory Driving Lights Switch (part #4011317) ($25), and gasket (part# 5521757) ($3) dash-slot mounted, for control of Motolights

Powerlet Termin-8 fuse block ($45)

Victory Powerlet socket and bracket, installed by dealer, lower left front of bike.

Powerlet PSO-007 socket ($29) installed in left side cover; see Powerlet Outlet in XCT Side Cover))

3BR Panel TAPP waterproof USB port, dash-mounted ($45)

Momentary switch, waterproof, on dash, for garage-door opener ($4)

Maintenance Enhancements:

Rear-shock air-fill Schrader valve relocated through right side cover ($37) (see Adding XCT Air Shock Valve)

Speed Bleeders, all three brake calipers ($21)

Dimple magnetic drain plug ($35)

Mounting Enhancements:

Victory Clutch-side Multi-RAM-ball Receptacle (part #2877372) ($25), with two RAM balls installed.

Mounting Innovations Chrome-B-231U-Black RAM ball, black, on handlebar ($29)

RAM ball with diamond base, on trunk molding ($7)

Techmount pivoting handlebar mount ($45)

15mm photographic rail, with SmallRig 90-degree mounting holder ($10)

Cosmetic and Miscellaneous Enhancements:

CycleOpsUSA Winged-V trunk rack ($250), and useful for light trunk-top bags

Cyclemax trunk rack base washer kit ($18)

Track-stand bobbins, black, added to trunk supports for bungee or strap hooking ($18)

KewlMetal metal forked guards ($140 (gift)), painted Sunset Red by Midwest Customs ($76); this may be the only XCT with paint-matched fork guards.

Kuryakyn rear transmission cover, satin black ($100)

Metra replacement 14" flexible rubber antenna ($9)

Diamond Jim's snap-on black plastic rear brake reservoir cover ($13)

Powder-coated (black) stock brake and clutch levers.

RicZ laydown license plate bracket ($35)

Black metal license plate frame ($10)

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I always enjoy reading your posts and following your links Bill. All the best to you with the sale on your most beautiful and sorted motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Nooooo @wspollack BILL, that's not good....

But I understand, we are all getting older and medical problems creap up to you... I remember the first time I rode my CCT i was surprised how much more heavy it was comparing to the jackpot I still have....

We will miss you dearly.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Someone is going to get a nice Victory with lots of good riding miles left on it.

I wish I could tell you this is a good time to sell but we all know the market has taken a dive on our bikes for now. Don't give it away though and I too will miss your in-depth and informative posts.

Did you buy a Bergman? I think you may have mentioned having one before. It's design is sure more "old guy" friendly to get on and off.

The thought of selling my XC and just keeping the KP around for day rides has crossed my mind too. Then I take the XC out for a ride like the other day and the thought goes out of my mind. Rode the KP yesterday. It's set up for solo riding only and that's the way I like it. I have never really "liked" having a passenger on my bikes for more than short rides anyway. Of course who that passenger is and how much she weighs is a factor too. Smallish women are no problem whereas largish women can change the balance enough to take the fun out of it.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Sorry to hear about your decision to sell but I totally understand.
This year I got a pinched nerve in my neck affecting my entire left arm.
I haven't been able to put on half the miles that I wanted, but it's just a bike and that's the way it goes.
Getting old sucks.
Good luck my friend and stay in touch.

P.S. I have been wanting to ask you for quite some time now about the rocker switches you added to your windshield fairing piece. I want to do the same to shut off the TPMS in the winter. Do you have a part number or something so I can find one in Canada?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone is going to get a nice Victory with lots of good riding miles left on it.

I wish I could tell you this is a good time to sell but we all know the market has taken a dive on our bikes for now. Don't give it away though and I too will miss your in-depth and informative posts.

Did you buy a Bergman? I think you may have mentioned having one before. It's design is sure more "old guy" friendly to get on and off.

The thought of selling my XC and just keeping the KP around for day rides has crossed my mind too. Then I take the XC out for a ride like the other day and the thought goes out of my mind. Rode the KP yesterday. It's set up for solo riding only and that's the way I like it. I have never really "liked" having a passenger on my bikes for more than short rides anyway. Of course who that passenger is and how much she weighs is a factor too. Smallish women are no problem whereas largish women can change the balance enough to take the fun out of it.
Yeah, I realize I'm not going to make a killing on this, what with the depressed Victory market, and that you can't recoup money spent on add-ons.

But luckily I'm not out to make a killing, either. The bike was paid off a few years ago, and I had my fun riding it, got use out of it, etc. Same thing happened with my Valkyrie -- well, except that Honda didn't go out of business, but they did drop the Valkyrie line back then -- lots of farkles, but I got my use out of it, it was long since paid off, and someone got a good deal on it.

As I say, I need the garage space, and there's just little point in having it there, if I don't ride it. I just want folks to know that it's well-equipped -- the HeliBars and Centramatics are useful to just about anyone -- so they might like it. I'll take way less than it might've sold for last year.

On the Burgman front, I had a 650 Exec, bought new in 2007, and traded in, in 2012, on the XCT. Last fall, I borrowed a friend's 2008 (neglected in his garage), and used it for a track day*. Then I bought it from him a few weeks later. I had forgotten how light the steering was, and how light the bike felt (even though, at 610 lbs., it's a lard-bucket for a scooter -- it's still 250 lbs. lighter than the XCT).

I have a Burgman gallery at 2007 and 2008 Burgman 650 Exec Scooters , which now includes both scooters.

* (My sub-gallery of my track day on the scooter, last August, is Non-Sportbike Track Day, Palmer, MA, 08-22-2016 . The last two images there have links to some Vimeo videos. Particularly in the first video -- vimeo.com/179989063 -- you can see me lapping some baggers. Props to those guys for wanting to improve their skills; not knocking them, just showing that a scooter is not necessarily a slouch.)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about your decision to sell but I totally understand.
This year I got a pinched nerve in my neck affecting my entire left arm.
I haven't been able to put on half the miles that I wanted, but it's just a bike and that's the way it goes.
Getting old sucks.
Good luck my friend and stay in touch.

P.S. I have been wanting to ask you for quite some time now about the rocker switches you added to your windshield fairing piece. I want to do the same to shut off the TPMS in the winter. Do you have a part number or something so I can find one in Canada?
1) Oh, I'll stay in touch. No need for me to ignore the forums, just because I expect not to own a Vic in a bit.

I wrote a DIY page on adding Speed Bleeders to a Valkyrie 14 years ago ( Using Speed Bleeders® to Change the Brake and Clutch Fluid on a Valkyrie ), and as recently as this year I've gotten follow-up questions on it from a Valk owner. I hope to contribute here as long as I have something useful to add.

2) The rocker switches on the top trim piece, underneath the windshield, are these, from Oznium: https://www.oznium.com/rocker-switch .

They're the "Plain/Regular (No LED. Does not light up)" ones. BTW:

- There's no mention of their being waterproof, but I've had them on the bike for 3+ years, without any problem. They are in a sort of protected location, though.

- Shipping was (sigh) about the same cost as the switches (and this was to the USA).

- There's not enough room under that piece to slip on some spade-lug connectors (I tried), so you need to solder the connections.

- The second switch, the one on the right, is a place-holder, for future use (i.e., unused at the moment) and for symmetry.

3) You have a smaller bike, too, right, a Triumph, as I recall?

·
Registered
790 Posts
My sunset red 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour is for sale.

Purchased new, January 2012, it now has about 35,000 miles, and is in excellent condition. The only things wrong with it are a few very tiny chips in the paint, as you would expect on the fender and fairing of a bike that's actually been ridden.

Also, there is some internal peeling, on one side of the trunk's LED light, which is noticeable only if you're looking for it. Mine is not the first XCT to have developed this cosmetic-only problem.

But that's it.

I'm selling it because of a combination of factors.

I'm 69 years old, and the bike is getting too heavy for me. If I were in tip-top shape, this might not be an issue, but I'm not, so it is. I'm now working off my second annual cortisone shot in my left hip.

Also, as a result of medical issues, my wife hardly ever rides pillion. So there's unneeded capacity there, riding solo.

Last fall, I bought a used 650 scooter (and had one before, too). For me, now, the 650 is just less effort, more fun.

Last, I could use the room in the garage.

Price, Contact, etc.:

I plan on putting the XCT on eBay in a few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone would like to make a reasonable offer on this bike, please contact me: [email protected]. I won't be checking in here from 07/15 - 07/24, but I'll try to check email.

I'm not sure what a reasonable offer would be these days, so if you have any thoughts on that, chime in.

I took some pictures of the bike this week: 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour For Sale.

It has the two pictures attached here, and 15 more.

For a history of the assorted farkles I've added over five years, see my XCT gallery. Here's a summary.

Comfort and Convenience Enhancements:

HeliBars adjustable handlebars, black ($700)

Madstad 11" light-gray windshield and brackets ($210)

Sage Brush Designs tank bib with pouch ($175)

Utopia driver backrest with quick-out option and pouch ($308)

Dain's Victory Brake Pedals "Regular Long Horn" brake pedal ($84)

Vibranators black bar-end weights ($120)

KewlMetal heel shifter ($90)

Victory passenger grab rails (part# 2877480) ($300)

BeadRider driver seat beads, ceramic ($47)

Performance Enhancements:

Power Commander V ($370), installed at Lloyd's Motorworkz, dyno-tuned ($250) by Lloyd Greer himself

Lloyd'z High-Flow Air Filter -- XC/XR ($135), installed at Lloyd's Motorworkz

Centramatics wheel balancers, front and rear ($290), installed at Zack's V-Twins in Hyde Park, NY

Lyndall Gold brake pads, front and rear (installed at 30,020 miles) ($190)

Doran 360M TPMS ($200)

Iridium sparkplugs (NGK DCPR6EIX) ($14)

Victory high-performance sparkplug wires (part# 2880797-015) ($30)

Lighting and Safety Enhancements:

Brand new (less than 100 miles) Avon Cobra rear tire; about 7,400 miles (about mid-life) on front Avon Cobra tire

Motolight caliper-mounted lights ($349), with halogen lights replaced by LED bulbs

Rivco mirrors, black frames, with front- and rear-facing LED turn signals and front-facing running-light LEDs ($250) (see Adding Rivco LED Mirrors to XCT)

Kuryakyn Sabertooth LED saddlebag run-and-brake lights, chrome ($160 (gift))

CustomLED Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher ($45)

Stebel Nautilus dual-trumpet air horn ($50), relay-triggered, with diode protection

Brukus SaddleSecure saddlebag replacement fasteners ($38)

Headlight protective clear plastic guard, with 3M dual-lock.

Electrical Enhancements:

Electrical Connection trailer isolator and harness ($80) for Rivco mirrors installation

Victory Driving Lights Switch (part #4011317) ($25), and gasket (part# 5521757) ($3) dash-slot mounted, for control of Motolights

Powerlet Termin-8 fuse block ($45)

Victory Powerlet socket and bracket, installed by dealer, lower left front of bike.

Powerlet PSO-007 socket ($29) installed in left side cover; see Powerlet Outlet in XCT Side Cover))

3BR Panel TAPP waterproof USB port, dash-mounted ($45)

Momentary switch, waterproof, on dash, for garage-door opener ($4)

Maintenance Enhancements:

Rear-shock air-fill Schrader valve relocated through right side cover ($37) (see Adding XCT Air Shock Valve)

Speed Bleeders, all three brake calipers ($21)

Dimple magnetic drain plug ($35)

Mounting Enhancements:

Victory Clutch-side Multi-RAM-ball Receptacle (part #2877372) ($25), with two RAM balls installed.

Mounting Innovations Chrome-B-231U-Black RAM ball, black, on handlebar ($29)

RAM ball with diamond base, on trunk molding ($7)

Techmount pivoting handlebar mount ($45)

15mm photographic rail, with SmallRig 90-degree mounting holder ($10)

Cosmetic and Miscellaneous Enhancements:

CycleOpsUSA Winged-V trunk rack ($250), and useful for light trunk-top bags

Cyclemax trunk rack base washer kit ($18)

Track-stand bobbins, black, added to trunk supports for bungee or strap hooking ($18)

KewlMetal metal forked guards ($140 (gift)), painted Sunset Red by Midwest Customs ($76); this may be the only XCT with paint-matched fork guards.

Kuryakyn rear transmission cover, satin black ($100)

Metra replacement 14" flexible rubber antenna ($9)

Diamond Jim's snap-on black plastic rear brake reservoir cover ($13)

Powder-coated (black) stock brake and clutch levers.

RicZ laydown license plate bracket ($35)

Black metal license plate frame ($10)

I can tell you my 2012 is up for sale too, similar except I have reverse, Cycle trader and Craigs list, no interest yet. Moving to 700cc similar reasons, not because of what Vic did.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The rocker switches on the top trim piece, underneath the windshield, are these, from Oznium: https://www.oznium.com/rocker-switch .
You have a smaller bike, too, right, a Triumph, as I recall?
Thanks for the info Bill.
Actually I sold my Triumph in February to a guy in Florida, sight unseen.
He saw my Triumph videos and knew my bike was in mint condition.
He paid for everything to get it shipped to him. It worked out really well.
So I only have the big bike to ride now. I am meeting a riding buddy tomorrow to go for a short run. I will see how the arm will handle it and go from there.
Chow for now.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell you my 2012 is up for sale too, similar except I have reverse, Cycle trader and Craigs list, no interest yet. Moving to 700cc similar reasons, not because of what Vic did.
Thanks for the info, Mike. Just looked at your ad here.

So, you're asking $12,955 OBO? Er, um, looks like I'll have to undercut that (I'll give you credit for reverse, which is probably more desirable than HeliBars, etc., at least to some folks), but from what I know about you from the forums, I like you, and don't want to piss you off. You suppose there's interest in TWO XCTs, if the prices are right?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for the info, Mike. Just looked at your ad here.

So, you're asking $12,955 OBO? Er, um, looks like I'll have to undercut that (I'll give you credit for reverse, which is probably more desirable than HeliBars, etc., at least to some folks), but from what I know about you from the forums, I like you, and don't want to piss you off. You suppose there's interest in TWO XCTs, if the prices are right?
Mine does have the Heli bars, and don't worry about me, people choose what they want, color, options...location... Get the best deal you can.

I bought a Honda CTX700 dct. You may want to look into it. Feet forward position, only 500 lbs, quick and oh yea FULLY AUTO Transmission (Dual Clutch). Still customizing it. No more left hand pain. same tranny Porsche is using in some of it's cars and VWs. Audi too and several others. Love the paddle shift!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$11,000?

Okay, folks, based on @MTVic's experience, anyone want this bike (post #1) for $11,000?

Keep in mind that starting tomorrow, I'll be off the grid for a week or so, so if you're trying to contact me, be patient.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mine does have the Heli bars, and don't worry about me, people choose what they want, color, options...location... Get the best deal you can.

I bought a Honda CTX700 dct. You may want to look into it. Feet forward position, only 500 lbs, quick and oh yea FULLY AUTO Transmission (Dual Clutch). Still customizing it. No more left hand pain. same tranny Porsche is using in some of it's cars and VWs. Audi too and several others. Love the paddle shift!
You know, that's funny: I was riding in Vermont two days ago (on the Burgman), and stopped in at Ronnie's Cycles in Bennington. I sat on a used CTX (price not listed), and thought it was pretty comfy. I took a pic of the tank, so I would have a record of the model. I would need a look-over windshield, and I'd prefer floorboards to pegs. That thing available with cruise control (a big plus, IMHO)?

What I'm really looking at is Yammie's TMax. The 2018 version -- the more deluxe of the two versions -- has cruise, a TFT display, belt final drive, and a lot of other goodies. Unfortunately, Yamaha hasn't decided whether to bring it into the US (even though I've called them, twice, to let them know I'd be seriously interested).

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Yeah, I realize I'm not going to make a killing on this, what with the depressed Victory market, and that you can't recoup money spent on add-ons.

But luckily I'm not out to make a killing, either. The bike was paid off a few years ago, and I had my fun riding it, got use out of it, etc. Same thing happened with my Valkyrie -- well, except that Honda didn't go out of business, but they did drop the Valkyrie line back then -- lots of farkles, but I got my use out of it, it was long since paid off, and someone got a good deal on it.

As I say, I need the garage space, and there's just little point in having it there, if I don't ride it. I just want folks to know that it's well-equipped -- the HeliBars and Centramatics are useful to just about anyone -- so they might like it. I'll take way less than it might've sold for last year.

On the Burgman front, I had a 650 Exec, bought new in 2007, and traded in, in 2012, on the XCT. Last fall, I borrowed a friend's 2008 (neglected in his garage), and used it for a track day*. Then I bought it from him a few weeks later. I had forgotten how light the steering was, and how light the bike felt (even though, at 610 lbs., it's a lard-bucket for a scooter -- it's still 250 lbs. lighter than the XCT).

I have a Burgman gallery at 2007 and 2008 Burgman 650 Exec Scooters , which now includes both scooters.

* (My sub-gallery of my track day on the scooter, last August, is Non-Sportbike Track Day, Palmer, MA, 08-22-2016 . The last two images there have links to some Vimeo videos. Particularly in the first video -- vimeo.com/179989063 -- you can see me lapping some baggers. Props to those guys for wanting to improve their skills; not knocking them, just showing that a scooter is not necessarily a slouch.)
I sure wish we had a track like that open to the public around here somewhere.

You're looking good on this Burgie.

Folks can see how easy it is to get on and off them in this pic of your 2007. Kinda funny looking to the purist among us but easy to see the practicality of them. For an around town or somewhat day ride scooter it makes a lot of sense for those wanting to downsize and just not comfy on a bigger bike. I'm actually surprised these are not more popular than they are. People who do own them sure do seem to like them though. I guess your favorite color is red for bikes. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
At $11k it should be sold quick with all the good stuff on it and your good reputation for taking care of your bikes. I bet that Valkyrie was quick with that 6 cyl. engine. Probably thirsty too.

I'm kind of amazed at how they stuffed the engine down inside the tunnel like that. I guess they could get away with it because it's water cooled and somehow gets enough airflow to take the heat away. Plus they designed it so you could still get to the oil dipstick and other things to do basic maintenance. A nice feat of engineering I'd say.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I sure wish we had a track like that open to the public around here somewhere.

You're looking good on this Burgie.

Folks can see how easy it is to get on and off them in this pic of your 2007. Kinda funny looking to the purist among us but easy to see the practicality of them. For an around town or somewhat day ride scooter it makes a lot of sense for those wanting to downsize and just not comfy on a bigger bike. I'm actually surprised these are not more popular than they are. People who do own them sure do seem to like them though. I guess your favorite color is red for bikes. ;)
Hey, thanks much, Bob!

Just this week, I had the black Burger (yeah, I prefer red) up to a verified 101mph. (Um, would you believe: closed course, professional rider? Okay, would you believe a nice long stretch of straight highway, with slopes on the sides, making it obvious that there were no critters or LEOs around?) DOHC, four-valves per cylinder, parallel twin. Not too shabby for a scooter.

I've had a lot of fun at those non-sportbike track days, about $250 a pop. Check out that Vimeo link, if you have a spare 20 minutes sometime.

Here's a pic from each day so far (I'm signed up for this August, too), 2015 and 2016 on the XCT, and (later) 2016 on the Burger, at three different tracks:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At $11k it should be sold quick with all the good stuff on it and your good reputation for taking care of your bikes. I bet that Valkyrie was quick with that 6 cyl. engine. Probably thirsty too.

I'm kind of amazed at how they stuffed the engine down inside the tunnel like that. I guess they could get away with it because it's water cooled and somehow gets enough airflow to take the heat away. Plus they designed it so you could still get to the oil dipstick and other things to do basic maintenance. A nice feat of engineering I'd say.
Well, you have to take out one screw, and unsnap that cover piece to add oil. There's a sight glass on the side, near the bottom; it's visible without removing anything, but I don't like stooping or kneeling way down to look at it.

OTOH, you can't beat hydraulic valve adjustment on the Vics. On the Burger, it's shim under bucket, and it's a whole day of tupperware and radiator removal just to check the clearances. No perfect bike yet ...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For an around town or somewhat day ride scooter it makes a lot of sense for those wanting to downsize and just not comfy on a bigger bike.
I missed that "around town" part before.

Last September, I rode the scooter 600 miles in one day. Albany, NY, to Salem, VA -- I was on my way to visit my daughter & family in Asheville.

The next morning, my daughter called me at my hotel, to tell me that there was flu prevalent in the household. So instead of a short 240-mile second day, to finish the trip there, I skipped heading for Asheville, pointed the scoot back north, and rode 400 miles to my brother's house in Philadelphia, and visited there for a couple days.

So, yep, around town is good, but don't restrict it to just that.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Bill, I feel your pain. My "come down" was getting into a Vic XR from a Yamaha first gen Venture which got to be too intimidating cuz of its height and top heaviness. That handlebar fairing on the XCs makes them heavier to steer and raises the CofG way up there. Then adding the lowers and trunk of the XCT and you got a tank to deal with.
I have a friend with a XCT and the difference between our two bikes is dramatic to say the least. And now that we are into warm weather, I switched windshields to my short-short one and the bike and steering are even lighter yet. I wish my friend listened to me and got a XR cuz he keeps dropping that XCT. He's 2 years younger than me and not in as good physical condition, but his ego got the best of him. Ya gotta be honest with yourself when it comes to selecting a two wheeler.
And Bill, I gotta hand it to you - you are making good choices; you're listening to your body and that's a good thing. Ain't nothing wrong with that 650 Burggy. I have followed a few of them in some extreme twisties and I had to work at keeping up. Good luck to ya!

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I missed that "around town" part before.

Last September, I rode the scooter 600 miles in one day. Albany, NY, to Salem, VA -- I was on my way to visit my daughter & family in Asheville.

The next morning, my daughter called me at my hotel, to tell me that there was flu prevalent in the household. So instead of a short 240-mile second day, to finish the trip there, I skipped heading for Asheville, pointed the scoot back north, and rode 400 miles to my brother's house in Philadelphia, and visited there for a couple days.

So, yep, around town is good, but don't restrict it to just that.
That's impressive. I rode a 1979 650 Yamaha from San Diego to Durango, CO in one day and back the next (about 600 miles each way) and it beat me up pretty good and I was in my mid 20's at the time. No windshield though.

These days I'm a firm believer in windshields and how it slows down road fatigue. Guys with fullface helmets probably get much of the same protection but they still have to fight the wind with their necks, shoulders, belly muscles, and arms.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts