Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whats going on. But with my passenger yesterday we hit a pretty large pot hole that was unavoidable. Pretty sure we bottomed out. Now on various "sharp" jarring bumps I can hear a metal on metal sound...at first I thought it was bottoming out. Then it happened on smaller bumps.

First thought, damage to the shock, but when parked I was bouncing up and down and couldn't recreate it and it still rides and feels normal. Really nice and comfortable.

Second thought, almost sounds like it is coming from the right side, guy riding beside me could hear it. Not sure if possible the stock exhaust is flexing or loosened some how (has been swapped out and reinstalled before I owned it. Again I grabbed ahold of it and tried to shake or jar it. and it seems solid. If you look where the mufflers slide into the pipes they are slightly crooked, but everything feels solid.

Thought? I am going to try checking/adjusting the sag and see how everything is lining up to see if we are too heavy (combined about 400lbs).

New exhaust should arrive in a few days and I will tear into that to see if anything bracket wise is loose.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Are your fenders solid? Do forks or swingarm have any front-back or side-side play?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are your fenders solid? DO forks or swingarm have any front-back or side-side play?
I will check both tonight afterwork.

I am not sure if me alone on the bike will recreate the sound either. haven't riden solo since I noticed the noise. It wasn't making any sounds the day before on a solo ride.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Look underneath your rear fender at the wiring harness first... Then pull your seat and look at the top shock mount.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I hit an extreme bump on my Vegas with a heavy passenger, it messed up my number plate light and the tyre came in contact with the sides of the underside of the fender

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hit an extreme bump on my Vegas with a heavy passenger, it messed up my number plate light and the tyre came in contact with the sides of the underside of the fender
We looked at everything and couldn't find anything that appeared to be touching the tire when moving.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You said a CLANK. Might try looking for metal to metal and not against the tire....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said a CLANK. Might try looking for metal to metal and not against the tire....
oh at first it might have been a tire squeak, but that is ruled out now. It is def metal on metal...could be a squeak such as a muffler flexing in a pipe or similar? Or two piece hitting together.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
Might check your fender mount bolts while rooting around looking. As a last resort, if you don't find the issue elsewhere, might be the top or bottom shock mount. Something could have become elongated allowing movement just at certain times and conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts