Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So california drivers struck again on 7-31. Commuting to work as I do everyday, at 5:55am splittin lanes at about 25mph some lady decided to come in to my lane w/o looking and smacked my right leg. Then I pinballed off her in to a car on my left side but didn't go down.

Broken foot/ tweaked groundpounders/ left foot peg sheared off/ shift linkage sheared off at shifter and tranny/ mbw primary mnt plate frame gone.

And would you believe she had the nerve to say she didn't hit me lmfao.

Such a big pita.

Stay alert guys. Could have been a lot worse.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So california drivers struck again on 7-31. Commuting to work as I do everyday, at 5:55am splittin lanes at about 25mph some lady decided to come in to my lane w/o looking and smacked my right leg. Then I pinballed off her in to a car on my left side but didn't go down.

Broken foot/ tweaked groundpounders/ left foot peg sheared off/ shift linkage sheared off at shifter and tranny/ mbw primary mnt plate frame gone.

And would you believe she had the nerve to say she didn't hit me lmfao.

Such a big pita.

Stay alert guys. Could have been a lot worse.
Well, at least you're the kinda guy who seems happy to tinker with them. Better bent metal than bones. Glad you got up able to laugh at the errant cager.

I think you will have to toss your "loud groundpounders save lives" shirts. Time for a 130 db airhorn!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't get the lane slitting in Cali. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. We already know people in cars are a danger seems to me just increasing the odds.

Hope you have a quick recovery

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I don't get the lane slitting in Cali. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. We already know people in cars are a danger seems to me just increasing the odds.

Lane splitting is legal in California because the MC cops need to get through the traffic. This is what I've heard, anyway...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds similar to when i got hit except i was changing lanes about 40mph and a leadfoot tries to speed up and squeeze by me and the divider... on a bridge!!!. Lost the shifter peg, the footpeg, the linkage and scuffed the primary cover. Bumper hits me in the leg, Mirror hits me in the back and the windshield hits me in the shoulder. Sorry to hear about your foot. My sidi adventures saved my leg. (Heres something to keep you busy if you are fully covered. The dealership decided to replace the primary cover just because it was scuffed --just traded pain and no surface damage. I asked for the old one and they handed it to me. I'm thinking about sending it to an engraver for some scrollwork)

Anyway...the same thing, amazingly.. never went down... the low center of gravity must help a lot, because I throttled and she snapped to and rode clear. Once I went to down shift to stop is when i saw everything missing... and wanted blood.

I think intended limit is like 6 mph out there when splitting lanes isnt it? All states should have that... for air cooled bikes at least. Get well soon.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Lane splitting done properly isn't dangerous... slow traffic, bumper to bumper, difficult for someone to switch lanes and get you... but, lane split with faster traffic and big gaps between the cars and... ouch.

Makes perfect sense in the right situations, at least here in California where so many things make so much sense. :cool:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You guys in Cali have some big ones. Lane kitting legal or not, not for me

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was bumper to bumper traffic amd wasn't moving faster than 5 mph over the speed of traffic and I do ot everyday for 30 mi on my way to work. But that space opened and she went for it without looking and hit me ricocheted off her to the car in front of the space which did all the damage on the left. People just need to wake up and turn their head and look for bikers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you will have to toss your "loud groundpounders save lives" shirts. Time for a 130 db airhorn![/QUOTE]
Get better soon and fix up your ride
My RPW Thor wakes the dead thumb up

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
You can't fix stupid and there are a lot more stupid drivers than riders so it's up to us to be smarter than them but even so; they still get us sometimes.

Sturgis has had 5 traffic fatalities already and it only officially started last Friday.

·
12,968 Posts
Get a lawyer and go after her for a new bike.
I'm sure your frame is bent
Never sign off on injuries your leg might take to years to heal

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lane splitting is legal in California because the MC cops need to get through the traffic. This is what I've heard, anyway...
It's legal because your traffic in the cities is so bad the rider may die of smog poisoning sitting still for so long idling.

I agree. It would be nice to be able to do in stopped traffic but I don't understand lane splitting when traffic is moving, even slowly. Too many idiots change lanes without looking.

Lane 'kitting' isn't allowed in ANY state, not even California.
It's definitely not legal in California because the only thing legal in CA that is illegal in other states would lane SPLITTING and same-sex marriages. Everything else is illegal in CA. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get Better Soon

I hope you and your bike are back too 100% soon. I dropped mine off at the Victory shop to get an estimate of the damages after nephew laid it down. Do they repair these tanks or just replace? Mine has minimal damage all inside the white area on left side.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Lane 'kitting' isn't allowed in ANY state, not even California.
I know Lane Kitting.
Lane Kitting is a friend of mine.
You sir are no Lane Kitting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts