Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to hear from any one who has purchased any of these lids. I ordered a set almost a month ago and the first set I couldn't even get them on because none of the holes for lock or hinge lined up. He agreed to send another set that he would make sure fit before he sent them to me. Got my second set and could get them installed but the fit was terrible. Looks to me like inside lip of lid is about a half inch short. When closed with lock installed the lid looks crooked most of front weather striping shows which proves it is not close to fitting like the stock lid. At the rear of lid I can stick my whole finger between lid and bottom, it sticks out about a 1/2" further then stock lid. At rear inside corner of my bags the lid has worn off some paint where the lid rubbed, with these lids it doesn't even cover that mark. After getting my first set back he admitted to having issues with other lids and was mad at his supplier for not fixing a known issue they had the way Mike wanted it fixed. He now tells me he has four satisfied customers out of same batch as mine. His only solution for my problem has been he has some thicker weather striping he will give me which is unacceptable to me. Telling me all sales are final and won't accept my return. I will try and load some pictures but have never done so before so we'll see. Would sure love to hear any one else's experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune , but I'm beginning to wonder if HMD makes anything that actually works ... Could this be why all sales are final ?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would like to hear from any one who has purchased any of these lids. I ordered a set almost a month ago and the first set I couldn't even get them on because none of the holes for lock or hinge lined up. He agreed to send another set that he would make sure fit before he sent them to me. Got my second set and could get them installed but the fit was terrible. Looks to me like inside lip of lid is about a half inch short. When closed with lock installed the lid looks crooked most of front weather striping shows which proves it is not close to fitting like the stock lid. At the rear of lid I can stick my whole finger between lid and bottom, it sticks out about a 1/2" further then stock lid. At rear inside corner of my bags the lid has worn off some paint where the lid rubbed, with these lids it doesn't even cover that mark. After getting my first set back he admitted to having issues with other lids and was mad at his supplier for not fixing a known issue they had the way Mike wanted it fixed. He now tells me he has four satisfied customers out of same batch as mine. His only solution for my problem has been he has some thicker weather striping he will give me which is unacceptable to me. Telling me all sales are final and won't accept my return. I will try and load some pictures but have never done so before so we'll see. Would sure love to hear any one else's experience.
Sorry you are learning the hard way. I was in the same camp and burned by him. Poor vendor. Retailers are also dropping him as they get the same attitude from him. But hey, just ask him, he'll tell you it's not him, it's just a handful of grouchy customers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have sent many more photos to him and his response is they fit fine. My wife purchased these for me and I wasn't ready to do whole project during the riding season and tried to stop order. They didn't even have product to ship yet and wouldn't stop order due to all sales are final. Since he wouldn't halt order I went ahead with project. Purchased and installed two new amps, speakers, bag fillers and non returnable factory paint. He thinks I just have buyers remorse and trying to get out of purchase. He is right I certainly have buyers remorse but only due to fit issues. He wouldn't even return email or call this week until he refused to accept lids back which I had Fed Ex'd to him, then I get a response. I now have went to my second option of V-Twin Audio 6x9 inserts for the factory bags. They got them to me in a couple of days. Cut them in yesterday and they are already at the paint shop. They take up more bag space and have semi obstructed path but hope they will work. Filed a grievance with Visa about purchase so we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Are you saying this HMD clown actually refused to refund your money and cancel an order for something he couldn't even supply you with at the time ??? Forget Visa , I would be calling the better business bureau . What an A-hole .

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have sent many more photos to him and his response is they fit fine. My wife purchased these for me and I wasn't ready to do whole project during the riding season and tried to stop order. They didn't even have product to ship yet and wouldn't stop order due to all sales are final. Since he wouldn't halt order I went ahead with project. Purchased and installed two new amps, speakers, bag fillers and non returnable factory paint. He thinks I just have buyers remorse and trying to get out of purchase. He is right I certainly have buyers remorse but only due to fit issues. He wouldn't even return email or call this week until he refused to accept lids back which I had Fed Ex'd to him, then I get a response. I now have went to my second option of V-Twin Audio 6x9 inserts for the factory bags. They got them to me in a couple of days. Cut them in yesterday and they are already at the paint shop. They take up more bag space and have semi obstructed path but hope they will work. Filed a grievance with Visa about purchase so we'll see what happens.
File a dispute with visa for a product not fitting discription. The fact that he replaced them once is unique for him as he generally won't do that. Since both don't fit visa should stand behind you and you have proof you returned them even if he refused acceptance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you saying this HMD clown actually refused to refund your money and cancel an order for something he couldn't even supply you with at the time ??? Forget Visa , I would be calling the better business bureau . What an A-hole .
Exactly, wife ordered on Tuesday. I called him on Friday and said project scope would be way more then I wanted to do right now and would like to hold off. Told me he would stop if order hadn't been processed and to contact Erica his office manager to see. Contacted her and she said order is processed as soon as order is placed. Lids were on back order still for another week. I will have to look at BBB, never had an issue with someone like this before. If he thinks they are so great he can sell them to someone else. They weren't a special order just an in stock item.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
File a dispute with visa for a product not fitting discription. The fact that he replaced them once is unique for him as he generally won't do that. Since both don't fit visa should stand behind you and you have proof you returned them even if he refused acceptance.
He sure fought it to begin with. Stated I wasn't installing correctly but he would take them back and make sure they fit properly. Said he would have set ready to go out as soon as mine got back to him. After waiting almost a week called him and he admitted having to take others back and was very upset at supplier for not fixing known issue the way they had discussed and would be ready to send new one soon. Mentioned his reputation was very important and would send video showing how good fit was before sending me second set. All video shows is him closing lid rapidly with no lock or weather striping installed. Another picture showed lock installed in lid but not while on bag or anything. But that is all evidence I need on "fine" fitting product.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I've had the same kind of fitment issues with Rusty Jones lids. On my second set n they're no better. Rusty is very nice and quite helpful on the phone but the product is crap. I'm sure he'll refund my money but that doesn't take into account my cost paid for paint and painter.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
In my experience with Victory aftermarket parts over the last year is none of the products are great... I appreciate this post though cause I was thinking about ordering a scorpion tail off this HMD clown. I obviously will be re thinking!

Ride it like you stole it... Or just stay home.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
As an outsider looking in, there have been others with issues from HMD. Someone here posted an issue with the air ride kit - something about not having all the parts, and it just turned into a fustercluck. I don't recall where that particular thread is, however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had the same kind of fitment issues with Rusty Jones lids. On my second set n they're no better. Rusty is very nice and quite helpful on the phone but the product is crap. I'm sure he'll refund my money but that doesn't take into account my cost paid for paint and painter.
My only good news was Visa did agree with me and has refunded my $. Still have never heard from him at all. Talked with another vender last week and he was shocked about how HMD handles his issues.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It seems that Vic's new audio lids might be the best choice. the cost of $474.99 is a good deal compared to the others for an OEM product.

My Question is: Will it include the chrome and mesh cover or is that a part of the 6X9 speaker arrangement?.

If you need the speakers to complete the look then that jumps the price to about $700 large which is Purdy much what seems to be the cost of aftermarket lids and a set of speakers.

V Twin Audio offers a DIY kit $399 or they will do a flush style kit in house for $499 plus a shipping cost involved and within a weeks time of a turn around. Another good option as I have heard and seen their in house work. The DIY kit is the most affordable but one slip of your tool and its garbage.

Unfortunately until I get more positive feedback than negative from HMD and Rusty I cant consider their lids. Too bad. I like Rusty's style.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I just ordered the Vtwin Audio kit to replace my other lids. i'll post up after i have them installed.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I hate to say it but such is life with aftermarket parts. Rarely does an aftermarket part fit like a factory part. From over 40 years experience mostly off road bikes/ATV's I can tell you it's best going into aftermarket parts with the understanding it will NOT fit like a factory part and will most likely require some sort of cutting, trimming, grinding, bending...or some other manner of tweaking to get it to fit properly. I can't count the hours I've invested over the years to get many an aftermarket part to finally fit properly.

Tech23

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems that Vic's new audio lids might be the best choice. the cost of $474.99 is a good deal compared to the others for an OEM product.

My Question is: Will it include the chrome and mesh cover or is that a part of the 6X9 speaker arrangement?.

If you need the speakers to complete the look then that jumps the price to about $700 large which is Purdy much what seems to be the cost of aftermarket lids and a set of speakers.

V Twin Audio offers a DIY kit $399 or they will do a flush style kit in house for $499 plus a shipping cost involved and within a weeks time of a turn around. Another good option as I have heard and seen their in house work. The DIY kit is the most affordable but one slip of your tool and its garbage.

Unfortunately until I get more positive feedback than negative from HMD and Rusty I cant consider their lids. Too bad. I like Rusty's style.
I agree the new Magnum lids will be the best. In Sturgis now and hope to find out what comes with the lid. I'm pretty sure it will be everything but the speakers and amp.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts