Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? I am going to pick up one of these two sets. I love both and am wondering who has experience with them.

Specs on HMD:
Rise: 9
Pullback: 1.65
Width: 14 & 33 (center width and tip to tip)
Diam: 1.25
Price: ~$349

Specs on Ness:
Rise: 8
Pullback:
Width: 5 & 31
Diam: 1.25
Price: ~$500

Driver seat pic is the HMD bars.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
... or KewlMetal Apes?

I'm not going to provide any insight here, but just state the obvious. The modular Ness bars have the adjustable angle on the grips section, which could be worth a lot (if your other bars choice is not right for your wrists angle), or it could be a worthless benefit (if your other bars choice fits you just fine).

However, if you're after a set of chrome mini apes, the Ness modulars being to shine a bit more (no pun intended). You cannot get a set of chromed mini-apes for under $500 anywhere else. But if you're after a black set, then once again, the other bars will be your better option from a price point perspective.

Regarding the dimensions, it would be whatever fits you better, although I don't see much of a difference when you have one extra inch of rise, or one extra inch of top width.

As for me, I have looked at these two bars as well for my XR, and was not able to get off the fence no matter how much I looked at them. I might end up going with a custom set in the end. I really like the angles of the KewlMetal bars (see pics below), but KewlMetal is taking a lifetime to make them available, and their price point is still unknown.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
This bike was covered in this other thread: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9478.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are both nice bars, but no way will I pay that much for either. I've been browsing the catalogs and websites looking for a shorter bar for my CR.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
All 3 are nice choices. There's a guy who makes custom bars to your specs. Don't know what price he might charge though...

http://www.brcustomcycles.com/
Yes Bbob, I've been considering BR's services, even though a set like the Kewl Metal apes would run me slightly over $500, including shipping - plus $200 if I want them chromed, plus the extended cables. So I've been waiting for Matt at KewlMetal to pop these on their shelf, but it sure is taking them forever and a century! Had I known I had to wait this long, I would've pissed the money on a custom set already. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have these HMD 520 pull backs and love them! ImageUploadedByMO Free1339116781.639933.jpg this is what they look like on a XR with a fairing. Soooo comfortable for me!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have these HMD 520 pull backs and love them! View attachment 6403 this is what they look like on a XR with a fairing. Soooo comfortable for me!
:eek: What happened to the high ball mini apes? The HMD's do look awesome! :clap:

·
Registered
472 Posts
:eek: What happened to the high ball mini apes? The HMD's do look awesome! :clap:
I had to change them, I loved the look, but after an hour they just killed me, wrists were bound up making for a painful ride, leading to elbow, and shoulders . They were just the wrong angles for me. The HMD's I rode 400 miles in one day and could have went another couple hundred, they are the bars for me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I ordered HMD's Black pullbacks. Mike is excellent to work with and always answers the phone and e-mails. They should hopefully be here tomorrow. They are pretty much 3 way adjustable and do not require extended cables or brake lines.

I'm more after the comfort and according to the reviews that i've read these should work nicely. They look good too. If you are under 5' 10" these would probably work better for you. But then again if you have arms like an ape it probably wouldnt matter. The ness bars look more like a mini ape to me

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I had to change them, I loved the look, but after an hour they just killed me, wrists were bound up making for a painful ride, leading to elbow, and shoulders . They were just the wrong angles for me. The HMD's I rode 400 miles in one day and could have went another couple hundred, they are the bars for me.
Well, I'm glad I didn't get them. I am about the same height and arm length as you, so if they weren't right for you, they most likely would've given me grief as well.

Oh, and btw off subject for a second, how's Mom and baby doin?
Baby arrived at 10lb and 4oz. Wife's a champion in my eyes! Thanks for asking. Will bring pics next time we ride. ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, I'm glad I didn't get them. I am about the same height and arm length as you, so if they weren't right for you, they most likely would've given me grief as well.

Baby arrived at 10lb and 4oz. Wife's a champion in my eyes! Thanks for asking. Will bring pics next time we ride. ;)
Wow! That's a big baby! Can't wait to see! Glad everyone is healthy. Congratulations Buddy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts