Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to know if you guys have one in the hole and are ready to flip the safety and fire if need be or do you have to cock, flip safety and fire?

If a bad guy breaks in during the middle of the night and you’re still half asleep the “cock” step is valuable time you could use!!!
Please advise,
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
The ar has the bolt carrier locked back with a b.a.d. lever and safety off, it is used for checking the property at night. One push of the lever loads a round.

The m&p 40 has one in the chamber and dosent have a safety, its for intruders. The vehicle carry is a cz p-07, one in the chamber, hammer down, thumb safety on. When the safety comes off, the first trigger pull is heavy double action. Gf carries a p238, empty chamber, since it is useless to decock a loaded chamber on a single action and she dosent trust the safety in her purse. My lcp stays hot, trigger is so damn heavy you really have to mean to pull it. My point is mainly it depends on the firearm, training with how you plan to keep it is the real key.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a .45 in the nite stand, single action revolver, 4 Just in Case Mossberg shotguns strategically located about the property in finger print safes, a .38 in the wife's nite stand and a few others here and there, all are finger print only accessible by mine or my wife's prints, oh, and a safe full of long rifles, I can have my hands on a weapon within 3 seconds and the wife and I shoot every one of them at a minimum once a month, we live in a very safe gates community but my wife and kids are everything to me, we installed a safe room last year, cost a small fortune but I don't worry about my wife any more when I'm away

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Loaded gun in my house would be a DISASTER!

My wife & kids can do some AMAZING things while asleep. Wife went through drawers looking for something one night, spoke with her father and then went back to sleep. Never remembered ANY of it the next day because she never woke up. My 10 year old walked down 2 flights of steps, turned on the TV and was watching TV. His eyes were open and he was talking (incoherently) to me. I told him it wasn't school time yet and walked him back up to bed. He didn't remember a SINGLE thing the next morning.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Loaded gun in my house would be a DISASTER!

My wife & kids can do some AMAZING things while asleep. Wife went through drawers looking for something one night, spoke with her father and then went back to sleep. Never remembered ANY of it the next day because she never woke up. My 10 year old walked down 2 flights of steps, turned on the TV and was watching TV. His eyes were open and he was talking (incoherently) to me. I told him it wasn't school time yet and walked him back up to bed. He didn't remember a SINGLE thing the next morning.
Lol! A couple of my boys and their mom are zombies too...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of now no kid's (that I know of) and when kid's are here I unload/lock and put up higher than they can reach!!!

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Got this by the bed :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Guns

I really do not like people knowing what firearms I may have or their locations. Big brother and not so honest types like to know. Have had to many things ripped off cars, etc. so guns in my house? :crzy:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Advertising your defensive capability is not a good idea.

I eat breakfast with a guy who is always ccw. And tells people about it. I tend to think this is a bad idea. if i were casing the place i would know who to shoot first.

m

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Got this by the bed :
Whatcha got there toejam? Doesn't look familiar to me.

I've been gravitating toward the CZ and CZ clones for a while now. Had a new 1911 but never really liked the grip safety. Otherwise it was fine except for the low round count in the mag.

I'm most impressed with the Sarsilmaz (Sar) pistols but also like the Canik 55 brand. Both are made in Turkey. A CZ is definitely in my future though. I just don't know when exactly.

Beretta is another very good pistol. It and the CZ family of pistols shoot amazingly soft compared to many other brands.

Ironically I like the Makarov's in the Bulgarian, German, and Russian varieties. They have quite the pop and can sting a bit after shooting a couple hundred rounds through but the reliability and accuracy makes them an excellent bedside or garage gun for when you absolutely positively need it to run.

Of course no home is complete without at least one 12 ga shotgun. Preferably one with a 20" or less barrel for close quarter work. I prefer the reliability of the pump to the semi-auto but would consider a side by side or over under to be adequate with a shell sleeve on the stock; loaded up of course.

But what is any home without the lowly .22LR rifle around someplace though? Check out this video about how the .22LR rifle is deadly; even at distances farther than it can be accurate with. Not .308 deadly, at least not as fast, but certainly will put the hurt locker on someone; especially if they don't get medical help soon.

http://bearingarms.com/a-22-will-kill-you-further-than-you-can-shoot-it-accurately/

I personally enjoy shooting pistols more than rifles but if the SHTF; the rifle will be the main firearm for anyone who has multiple pieces IMHO.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nothing but .40 cal for me, no way to screw up in the middle of the night trying to reload a .40 with the wrong ammo. Two SIG .40 in the bedroom and to Tarus in safe keeping elsewhere in the house. Thought about getting a 20 gauge for the OL for when I am working, but the downside is, I am subject to come home at any hour of the day or night.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not good enough

There is no place a determind child can't reach. Like there are many safely stored guns that kill children. Your ideas are only the tip of the iceberg. Firearms education is the first stop on the firearms safety curve. Children will always be curious about things that they are told DON'T TOUCH!!!. No matter how young if a child can be told don't touch they can be thought gun safety and if done right you will find that they don't really care and have no interest in finding out why they are always told don't touch

As of now no kid's (that I know of) and when kid's are here I unload/lock and put up higher than they can reach!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is no place a determind child can't reach. Like there are many safely stored guns that kill children. Your ideas are only the tip of the iceberg. Firearms education is the first stop on the firearms safety curve. Children will always be curious about things that they are told DON'T TOUCH!!!. No matter how young if a child can be told don't touch they can be thought gun safety and if done right you will find that they don't really care and have no interest in finding out why they are always told don't touch
I couldn't agree with you more on teaching. Taught my kids from a young age and never had a problem. Now that we are in a new house the kids from out back like to come over and I have to keep things locked up because mom and dad haven't taught them well. They are getting better about exploring the house but not enough to where I will unlock the guns.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
229 Posts
Its weird to me when people talk about keeping guns away from children. We grew up around firearms, they were always loaded next to a bed or in a console and I guess I just respected them and my parents and didnt mess with them. There were probably over 40 different firearms and not a single safe in that house.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not loaded .357 S&W. If they can get past my 100 lb Rottweiler and 130 lb Bullmastiff I should be ready by then.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Whatcha got there toejam? Doesn't look familiar to me.
It's a Stoeger Cougar Double Action, 9mm, 15+1, Bruniton Black, Model ST31700 (Parent company Benelli)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I use a Hi-point arms semi-auto 40 cal. Carbine rifle 10 round mag locked , not cocked .... If an intruder can get past my two 15lb Shih Tzu's and my bitch of a 14lb Lapsa asu , he will be so badly mauled I could finish him off myself , But if not , I got my trusty 40 !thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mauled being from the ankles down of course.....:ltr:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts