Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading other members opinions on the Vic HWY Peg mounts and the fact that they are $200 I decided to make my own. These are still unfinished as I wanted to try them out for a while before taking them to be professionally coated. The whole project cost me about $60 (<$50 for the pegs on Ebay and $10 for the steel plate).

First off I started with an old piece of cardboard and some bolts that fit. Once I mounted the cardboard to the crash bar I had my GF hold up the foot peg to identify where I wanted the peg to be positioned. In the event that you don't have a GF you might have a buddy do this. No you cant borrow my GF. LOL!!:ltr: Now that I had the lay out of the bolt pattern I could determine the shape that the mounts would be. I cut the cardboard and mounted it back up there (and trimmed and mounted) a couple of times just to make sure I had it right. Here is what it looked like on the bike.

Cardboard Mock up.jpg

Now having the shape I laid the pattern out on a piece of 1/4" of 12"x4" flat steel that I got from Lowe's ($10). I did this in a way that minimized the number of cuts that I had to do. BTW...Home Depot did not have this.

Pattern laid out on steel.jpg

At this point it is time to cut. This was done primarily with a Saws-All, but I also have a blade for my circular saw and a right angle grinder that I used to massacre the steel plate. This is what I ended up with.

Raw brackets.jpg

After that I held the 2 brackets together with vise grips and a table vise and began trimming the edges with the two grinders. This was to get the final shape and insure that both brackets were the exactly the same.

The next step was putting the bends in the brackets. This was done because otherwise you would end up with the highway peg at a 90* angle with the bike. There is no way that would be comfortable. So how do you bend 1/4 inch steel at home? Hang a 240 lbs guy off of it with a big pair of vise grips and a steel pipe. I almost pulled the bench over and my back out of place but it worked.

So here is the unfinished product. For the little that I have ridden so far they are very comfortable. My heel sits on the edge of the floorboards with the peg at my arch. I can move my heel back and rest my toe on the peg also. If I really scoot down in the seat I can put my heel up on the peg but I don't expect to do this on the road.

R Peg Close.jpg

R Peg back.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics....

L Peg front.jpg

L Peg up front.jpg

R Peg up.jpg

R Peg top.jpg

I hope this gives a good idea of what they look like. Eventually I will either powder coat it black or have it chromed. We will see.cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Very nice work, warr110r! They look heavy duty. Well done.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
They look good but you gotta get some paint or chrome on them!

I'm mostly impressed with the fact you used a circular saw. On 1/4 steel you're lucky you didn't strip the teeth off the blade!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Good job, the angle is the most important part for comfort for me.

I'm a short guy so I had to add some length to mine.

These are very adjustable, fits me great. I have $5 in mine, I already had the clevis and peg. I'm working on this now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ammo....I have a steel cutting blade on the circular saw. The hardest part was holding it up and cutting straight. I need a nice band saw.

And like DD said the most impotant part for comfort is the angle of the bend. Props to DD for giving me some pointers. thumb up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts