Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Was thinking of adding a windshield on my 05 kingpin. Ive never been into the full batwing or 20+ inch windshields. Id rather keep it to a minimum.

Any opinion on either of these windshields.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2875581-2874679-VICTORY-17-WINDSHIELD-MOUNTS-KINGPIN-HAMMER-2004-2012-/180809827789#vi-content

or

ones a 17 inch screen the other a superfly 12 inch.

Understanding that 17 is going to give more protection to wind, BUT will either of these 2 windshields ACTUALLy make a difference to helping me with head and neck movement in windy conditions.

cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm no expert on this subject since I just bought my bike 2 days ago. The Kingpin is the first bike I've owned with a windshield, and is the first bike I've ridden with a windshield.
One thing I can tell you for sure, at 60mph and above, I get some kind of turbulence that shakes my head really fast. If I lean down a bit it goes away. I'm not sure how tall my windshield is, but I can look over the top in normal riding position. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kingpin windshield

It just so happens I've been doing some R&D on this this same subject. I have a 2007 Kingpin with the Victory windshield 24inch wide and 17 inch tall (above the headlight). I too found turbulance at speeds above 50mph. I noticed at that speed, the wind was coming from the sides around the gas tank and not over the top. I then made some temporary lower wind deflectors out of cardboard and cable tied them on to my fork legs. Holy crap!! what a difference. All the turbulance was gone! I am in the process of making my own lowers. I just purchased the Memphis shades lower wind deflector mounting kit. $56.95 the plexiglas deflectors are around $25.00. I have an old windshield that I'm going to cut the deflectors out of. I will post some pics when I finish everything. The Victory lower deflectors retail for $299.00 if you can find them. I didn't want to spend that much. I hope this helps, Mark.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys. Was thinking of adding a windshield on my 05 kingpin. Ive never been into the full batwing or 20+ inch windshields. Id rather keep it to a minimum.

Any opinion on either of these windshields.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2875581-2874679-VICTORY-17-WINDSHIELD-MOUNTS-KINGPIN-HAMMER-2004-2012-/180809827789#vi-content

or
http://www.amazon.com/Victory-Motorcycles-Black-Superfly-Windshield/dp/B002YTZ73U?SubscriptionId=AKIAIXHJPOJ5CSRGZH2A&tag=buychecom01-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002YTZ73U

ones a 17 inch screen the other a superfly 12 inch.

Understanding that 17 is going to give more protection to wind, BUT will either of these 2 windshields ACTUALLy make a difference to helping me with head and neck movement in windy conditions.

cheers
I have the 17 inch clear windshield. I use it when it's colder out and it works fine. I like the wind in my face though, and remove it in the summer heat.

That windshield looks ok. It's smaller than the Victory detachable version and less than half the price. Plus when you take it off, the mounting hardware comes off with it. It's more work to take off than the Vic version, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 05 Kingpin with the tall windshield and lower wind deflectors. I had it off for a few days while cleaning the bike and really missed having it on, now back on and cruising on the highway is very comfortable with little wind. I would recommend the 17" with lower deflectors as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think that was where I was going before I side tracked myself. What ever windshield you go with, the lower deflectors really make a difference. I've never been a windshield guy. Looks always came first. Now, I won't ride without one!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interesting, I have heard the wind buffeting issue, but my Kingpin Tour came with a windshield and lower deflectors, so I haven't experienced it. I was use to a full fairing, now I've got the fingertips out in the open. Have pair of warm gloves for cold weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts