Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in this bike (and a High Ball) , but I really want to hear from owners on the buffeting issue . I'm 6'3" , and I know the taller you are, the higher above the wind screen you sit (obviously) . So if you thought it was bad, how did you fix it, if you fixed it .

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I am really interested in this bike (and a High Ball) , but I really want to hear from owners on the buffeting issue . I'm 6'3" , and I know the taller you are, the higher above the wind screen you sit (obviously) . So if you thought it was bad, how did you fix it, if you fixed it .
I'm 6' 4' and the wind buffeting is bad on the stock set up on X/C. It's just about as bad as a HD Street Glide, if you want to compare HD & the Vic X/C. But if you realy wan't to know all the ins and outs and all the information on this subject do a ( Wind Buffeting) on the search and I believe you will get all the Info you will need. I took care of my wind buffeting by reading all the different post on this subject. But every one has their preferences and you'll have to decide what you think will be best for you.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm 5'10 but but torso is longer than most 6ft tall guys (head is higher when sitting in airplane seats). The stock XC windshield does cause buffetting when leaning forward but if arms are fully extended, the buffetting is lessened. However, I am also planning on replacing my stock screen. Since my bike is a Ness, I'd like to continue that theme but haven't (yet) decided if the standard Ness flip would work for me.

Having stated this, I have concerns that too tall a shield may well remove almost ALL wind which also gives me concern regarding how well a helmet will flow air if there is none....

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't met anyone on bd that has issues with buffeting once they make 2 mods...........higher wind shield and lowers. Victory should wise up and make lowers stock with this bike.
I drove a friend of mine Ultra Classic about 2 weeks ago and I was surprised at how comparable the buffeting was. I would def give the edge to the Ultra on the buffeting, but it wasn't a whole lot of difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm 6' tall (35" inseam) and the buffeting with the stock blade windshield was terrible and forced me to wear a full face helmet. I put on the victory flip windshield and this was a big improvement. I'm back to wearing a half helmet now and in my comfort zone again. I look over this flip window and this will be my most used windshield. I have a 15" clear windshield on order from Cee Bailey that I will use for trips as I prefer to look through a windshield when driving in the rain. The blade looks best on the XC but I'm more for function than just good looks. :D

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
Yeah. The buffeting is caused by dirty turbulent air. Not having any wind protection is actually preferable to having a fairing and short windshield by most folks standards.

I'd like to see Vic make the taller shield stock and the shorter one an option but I guess that would make too much sense and not enough dollars.

The fork lowers are a good idea and now Baker Air Wings makes a kit for the inside of the square crash bars.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I'm 5'10 but but torso is longer than most 6ft tall guys (head is higher when sitting in airplane seats). The stock XC windshield does cause buffetting when leaning forward but if arms are fully extended, the buffetting is lessened. However, I am also planning on replacing my stock screen. Since my bike is a Ness, I'd like to continue that theme but haven't (yet) decided if the standard Ness flip would work for me.

Having stated this, I have concerns that too tall a shield may well remove almost ALL wind which also gives me concern regarding how well a helmet will flow air if there is none....
Just to help you in your decision. I'm about a 35-36 inseam but sitting on the floor with my head against the wall, the top of my head is about 37-38 inches up from the floor. I currently have a 13'' Cee Baily Shield which is 4 inches taller than stock shield. The top of the shield comes about to my bottom lip. When I ride I slouch quite a bit and lean so far back my arms are straight with no bend in them when cruising. I still get plenty of air with this set up. I get so much air that when I wear my Open Face Helmet my teeth start to chatter from the wind hitting the top 2 or 3 inches of my helmet. With my Half helmet I still feel plenty of wind. As a matter of fact I feel so much that I went to a Cee Dragon 20'' which Cee Bailey told me that I would still be able to see over it with my measurements. We'll see. I do not prefere to look through the wind shield, nor do I like the top of the shield in my line of sight bouncing in and out as I go down a bumpy road. The Cee Dragon shield comes in this week, so I'll post how it turns out. :eek:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just to help you in your decision. I'm about a 35-36 inseam but sitting on the floor with my head against the wall, the top of my head is about 37-38 inches up from the floor. I currently have a 13'' Cee Baily Shield which is 4 inches taller than stock shield. The top of the shield comes about to my bottom lip. When I ride I slouch quite a bit and lean so far back my arms are straight with no bend in them when cruising. I still get plenty of air with this set up. I get so much air that when I wear my Open Face Helmet my teeth start to chatter from the wind hitting the top 2 or 3 inches of my helmet. With my Half helmet I still feel plenty of wind. As a matter of fact I feel so much that I went to a Cee Dragon 20'' which Cee Bailey told me that I would still be able to see over it with my measurements. We'll see. I do not prefere to look through the wind shield, nor do I like the top of the shield in my line of sight bouncing in and out as I go down a bumpy road. The Cee Dragon shield comes in this week, so I'll post how it turns out. :eek:
Your inseam is HOW long? Does simply adding those measurements give your height? if so, that would mean that you are around 6'2", right?

At 5'10" my inseam is a measly 30". I haven't measured my seated to head position yet but will do so tomorrow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 6'3", but I have really short legs. I'm a 31" inseam.....

In stock form, the bike is almost unrideable for me. Above 50 mph the buffeting was so bad I couldn't see. I installed lowers (large custom cut lowers with the Memphis Shades mounts--found on EBay) and the 20" Cee Dragon, and it is worlds better. I'm fine now up into the 85 mph range (that's as fast as I have run the bike so far).

I still get a decent amount of wind, but its not buffeting now.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Your inseam is HOW long? Does simply adding those measurements give your height? if so, that would mean that you are around 6'2", right?

At 5'10" my inseam is a measly 30". I haven't measured my seated to head position yet but will do so tomorrow.
I'm a little over 6' 4'' but I am mostly legs. My wife is 5' 9'' and is 37 inches sitting on the floor (Mostly torso). All I'm trying to do is give as much information as I can as far as measurements go seeing how there seems to be no standard but inseam measurements when ordering windshiels. But in my H/O the sitting measurement, and posture would be more accurate when getting an idea of being able to see over windshield, seeing thats how we ride or bikes, sitting that is. I got this idea from NewCrews info for help on picking shield height. (like to give credit where credit is do). Made alot of sense to me. Good luck when picking your shield. Hope you avoid the windshield grave yard.:D
By the way saw the Pics of your Ness. Nice Bike! thumb up

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depends

It depends on what you are coming off of.

I came off of a Kawasaki Vulcan with a tiny windshield, so it is actually pretty good. But, compared to the Goldwing or the Harley Baggers with the huge windshields, it is actually pretty bad. It is better if I slouch a bit.

I don't mind it, because I like the feel of wind and I tried a bunch of bikes before I bought an XC. I still am thinking of getting the 3 inch rise- I'm 6'1", but with a longish torso.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never ridden a bike with a W/S . Never . But I am really liking the Cross Country . I also like the Street Glide , and Road Glide , but I can't over look the performance of Victory any more . I may end up with a Vegas 8 ball , or a High Ball , I'm not sure what I really want yet . But I want to get real world experience answers . And why does every one always get told to "use the search function" ? Isn't the word "forum" , another word for discussion ? I would rather talk to the people on the board here, and get familiar with all of you, than just search . If that's what I have to do, then I'll just use Google. =/...;)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Jayson,
Real world experiance is tough because what you are happy with somebody else is going to hate. Just because you read complaints does not mean that you will have the sme complaints. Reading great reviews doesn't mean whatever is being reviewed will work as well for you. If you are looking ahead and trying to see what you may have to do that's great as long as you don't let reviews scare you away. Also keep in mind that riding conditions vary mile to mile and some of the reviews you're reading can be from a completely differerent continent.

As far as the requests to "use the search" go. If you get this in a response that means there are already multiple posts on the same subject. So it's really a nice way to inform you that the answer is on the website and the questions should be asked on the existing threads rather than shotgunned throughout.

If you want to see an example of shotgunned search for "oil"...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have never ridden a bike with a W/S . Never . But I am really liking the Cross Country . I also like the Street Glide , and Road Glide , but I can't over look the performance of Victory any more . I may end up with a Vegas 8 ball , or a High Ball , I'm not sure what I really want yet . But I want to get real world experience answers . And why does every one always get told to "use the search function" ? Isn't the word "forum" , another word for discussion ? I would rather talk to the people on the board here, and get familiar with all of you, than just search . If that's what I have to do, then I'll just use Google. =/...;)
Jason - Talk is cheap...LOL. Not really. Forums are a location for information. They can be used for 1-on-1 interaction but are not a chat session. In order to get more timely information, you may benefit from using the search on this site (as opposed to googling it) because you will get more relevant information quicker.

As an example, here's a link to my RG vs. XC thread that may have already of followed your analysis or may have diverted from it or even have included options you may not have considered in your decision making process. It can't hurt to read a bit here and there, right?
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4984

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, about reading....I probably read two to three books a month , I love reading . I know and understand forums . I have been an active member of several . It just seems as though this one elicits the "search for it" reply more than most . But, that's alright , don't take offense to my comment, just an observation . :p Now, back to the subject....By "lowers" do you guys mean full lower fairing ? Like the Ultra classic , and the Vision use ? Or, the smaller plastic pieces that are hardly noticeable ?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
When I took an XC out for a test ride with the short windshield the buffeting was unbearable. It was horrible.

I then test road one with the high windshield and it was great.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I took an XC out for a test ride with the short windshield the buffeting was unbearable. It was horrible.

I then test road one with the high windshield and it was great.
Any pics of the XC with a high shield ?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Lowers for the cross bikes are fork mounted lexan pieces that divert wind. The type like you see on a UC are available from an aftermarket vendor but will only work on the tubular bars. Baker Air Wings just released a model that mounts inside your highway bars but are similar to the fork mounted lowers.

I know you are anti-search but if you search the cross bike forum for "hard lowers" and "baker air" you can find info on both products.

Please note that the tubular bars aren't a normal option for XC but will fit. If your dealer wants to sell a bike bad enough you could probably work an order or swap into the deal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I bought my XC I purchased the 19" shield and it has worked pretty good - GF and I both wear half helmets in the hot weather. Last week I put the 19" Cee Bailey Dragon on the bike just before a trip to Maggie Valley. Before we'd gone 5 miles GF was tellin me she was getting beat up so bad had to go back and get the full face helmets.
I hate to say it but maybe I should have ordered the 20" Dragon. For some reason I get more air with the 19" Dragon than the "straight" 19" shield. I haven't had a chance to call CB yet, but I followed the recomendation for my height (6'3") on the CB website. Anyone else have similar issues?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a 16" Cee Dragon and I am only 5' 7" but have a short inseam and a longish body. The Dragon's are angled differently than the regular Cee Bailey's. I still get buffeting at eye level and forehead. I just ordered s 19" (regular) Cee Bailey. Hopefullt that will do it. I am used to a windshield that allows me to ride with a hat, without it blowing away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts