Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my Wolo Bad Boy horn. Looks just like a Stebel. Looking for a mount point easier than those mentioned, two come to mind.
The first is to reinforce the floor of the left glove box and mount it inside the lower, under the glove box, partially exposed. The second option is to fabricate a simple triangle bracket and use the two bolts on the right side trunk support to mount the bracket. Either would be way easier than the other methods described.
Can anyone talk me out of it?

Dave

·
Registered
383 Posts
I separated the horn from the compressor and then mounted the horn behind the chin fairing. The compressor I mounted on the rear frame behind the rear fender. I then ran black tubing to the front to the horn portion.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
are there other options that would just sound better than
stock? do all cr and cc's sound like stangling a goat. even
my vtx sounded better. "BAAAAAAA"--irv

have never heard the air horns. are they loud enough to
scare semis?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used a Dremel to cut off the plastic band that holds the horn to the compressor and slid it off. I then clamped the tubing to the compressor. On the horn segment I fit a brass nipple and epoxied it in place.

You can also get the Wolo Model 400 Airmite2. The horns are separated already. http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

·
Registered
383 Posts
are there other options that would just sound better than
stock? do all cr and cc's sound like stangling a goat. even
my vtx sounded better. "BAAAAAAA"--irv

have never heard the air horns. are they loud enough to
scare semis?
I found a horn from a 58 Buick that worked. Other than that you'll just have to keep choking the goat.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Irv,
You can buy a standard replacement horn at just about any auto parts store. They can be found in high, low, and high/low tones and will fit in the factory location. I went with the high tone and it's about twice as loud as the original.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
My Stebel air horn's been under the rear fender for about a year now - blasts nice and loud, and has worked without a hitch.

To me, having the horn out of plain view was important - but you seem to be wanting to show it off - just make sure you figure out how to conceal its wires. Also it does not like moisture, so riding through rain with the horn exposed might spell disaster.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what model Wolo I have. Looked like I'd need to remove the outer covers to separate them. Sure would make it easier to locate the halves than the whole thing in one place.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I found a horn from a 58 Buick that worked. Other than that you'll just have to keep choking the goat.
i have no reply that i can type to that one

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Stebel air horn's been under the rear fender for about a year now - blasts nice and loud, and has worked without a hitch.

To me, having the horn out of plain view was important - but you seem to be wanting to show it off - just make sure you figure out how to conceal its wires. Also it does not like moisture, so riding through rain with the horn exposed might spell disaster.
I read your installation. Sounds like lots of work. lol I looked under the rear fender and there is some kind of a block looking thing there. Is that the expendable canister?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I read your installation. Sounds like lots of work. lol I looked under the rear fender and there is some kind of a block looking thing there. Is that the expendable canister?
Not sure. Take a picture and post - better safe than sorry. The canister's cylindrical, a little fatter than a can of beer (based on memory), it sits fastened to the bracket with tie wraps, and has two rubber hoses coming out of it.

Took me a couple of hours to do the install, and I would rate myself as average when it comes to this type of work - I know what part to grab the wrench by, but I am no expert in turning it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure. Take a picture and post - better safe than sorry. The canister's cylindrical, a little fatter than a can of beer (based on memory), it sits fastened to the bracket with tie wraps, and has two rubber hoses coming out of it.

Took me a couple of hours to do the install, and I would rate myself as average when it comes to this type of work - I know what part to grab the wrench by, but I am no expert in turning it. ;)
I'll try to get a picture tonight, might be tomorrow night. The object is rectangular and bolted to a bracket with 2 bolts.
Sometimes I'm a master wrencher, sometimes not so much. I use to b better.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Has anyone tried a Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horn to see if it will fit in the OEM horn space? Typically the OEM horn draws around 3 amps while the Freeway Blaster draws 5 amps so electrically its a direct swap. You do have to install a relay if you install two of them however.

I know it's not as loud as the Wolo/Stebel but its louder than OEM.

·
Premium Member
13,163 Posts
Has anyone tried a Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horn to see if it will fit in the OEM horn space? Typically the OEM horn draws around 3 amps while the Freeway Blaster draws 5 amps so electrically its a direct swap. You do have to install a relay if you install two of them however.

I know it's not as loud as the Wolo/Stebel but its louder than OEM.
Yep. Those are my personal preference. They don't fit in the stock location. Here's one I did to park it just outside of where the stock one went and the second one is where a young lady decided to put hers. She cut some of the grill out of the center chin fairing piece. Not a good pic but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Stebel under the Fairing

To those of you with a XC, mounting a Stebel (or Wolo if it's a similar horn) under the fairing is a pretty easy install even for someone who isn't comfortable with tools. Seach the threads. I posted pics of the install. If anyone wants to PM me for specifics I'll be glad to help out. But FYI..I'll be on the road for a 6K run from Greenville, SC to Seattle, WA via Mackinaw, MI from 30 June to July 22. Whoo Hoo!!! See you on the road brothers! cheers

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm with Al. I believe it's eight bolts, lift up and out, and the fairing's off. I posted on this topic, too, and if you want a quick look at the process, see pics 8, 10 - 16 at my gallery, http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/ .

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
But FYI..I'll be on the road for a 6K run from Greenville, SC to Seattle, WA via Mackinaw, MI from 30 June to July 22. Whoo Hoo!!! See you on the road brothers! cheers
AL!!! DAM I am SOOOO jealous!!! you'd better start a thread and post as you go. My wife is from Easley and Greenville I shipped her up to Ct and I should have went down there for the riding! Have a great ride brother and enjoy it!!! Keep us posted. thumb up

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
jgreg,

That's a good place, IMHO. There's a problem - just so you know, not knocking your suggestion - with that location, with the XCT. The Tour models have the HID ballast right where you put the horn. That's why, on my XCT (see gallery) I went with a more central location underneath the fairing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts