Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my XCT and that horn needs to go. anyone have any suggestions on a production and possible mounting location.
Jim

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
just got my XCT and that horn needs to go. anyone have any suggestions on a production and possible mounting location.
Jim
Yep.

1) I have a Stebel Nautilus mounted under the fairing. I have half a dozen or so pics and captions about doing it that way in my gallery, starting here: www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#11

2) There are gobs of threads on replacing horns. I find it easier and more complete to use Google, as opposed to the internal Search mechanism for most sites. Here's what you do:

- Go to www.google.com

- In the box on that page, i.e., Google's regular old search box, type in the following, for instance, exactly like this:

site:victoryforums.com horn 2014

You'll get a raft of recent thread links returned to you in a jiffy.

What you're doing when you enter site: in Google's search box is telling Google, "Just give me results that you find on one particular site, which I'll enter right now." So, you then enter this site -- victoryforums.com -- (the www. is not necessary), then a space, then what you're really looking for, horn 2014 (I threw in 2014 just to help you get more recent threads, but it's not necessary either).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Many of the after market horns are too high pitched for my taste. Check out the Wolo Big Bad Max if you have the same issue. The horn is a bit more balanced in that regard. You can find Youtube videos that give an idea as to how it sounds.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
So loud they scare me!

Here's what I did. These win every "contest" with other rider's aftermarket horns. If I hit the button accidentally, it scares the hell outa me. The mounting brackets are a PIAA product for mounting lights, but worked great to anchoring those horns rock solid and at any angle I want. I have to show people the horns, they don't notice them against the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the mounts

have been procrastinating fitting horns because I did not see a solution that looked good - until now. Already fitted the Stiebel Nautilus to the Jeep in the meantime, but my Bosch sports horns would go nicely like this!!!

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Of course its brother is on the other side of the frame and I did hook them up to a relay. I did have to fabricate a flat metal link about 3/4" wide and about 2" long with a couple holes in it to connect the horns to the brackets.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went with the wolo, under the fairing! Very loud! I zip tied the relay at the stock horn location. Easy install!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
man thats a 106 ci horn.

im going to just mount a low note GM horn. the dealer replaced
mine under warranty cause it sounded worse than stock even.
i thought someone had said the horn already had a relay. do
i need to install one with only 1 horn ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
man thats a 106 ci horn.

im going to just mount a low note GM horn. the dealer replaced
mine under warranty cause it sounded worse than stock even.
i thought someone had said the horn already had a relay. do
i need to install one with only 1 horn ?
I can't say if your GM horn needs a relay or not. Perhaps someone else will chime in!! There is not a relay on the stock horn. My wolo came with a relay, and clear instructions. I had to get a 20 amp in fuse. ALL IN, I was under $50 bucks ... and its fright train loud!!

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
X bikes do have a horn relay. You will have to add one if installing 2 loud horns or a Wolo air horn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I put a pair of Rivco Magnums behind the rear jug on the left side. Mounted up right nice with a hole already drilled in the cast. Used a combination of the brackets from the stock horn and the ones that came with the Magnums. The relay was a piece of cake. The horns themselves are wicked loud.

steviej

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I gave those on my honda vtx. I don't think I would mount them so close to the seat though. I want the sound to go forward not backwards . Did you use a relay or did you mount o the existing relay and button. You have a cross country ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's what I did. These win every "contest" with other rider's aftermarket horns. If I hit the button accidentally, it scares the hell outa me. The mounting brackets are a PIAA product for mounting lights, but worked great to anchoring those horns rock solid and at any angle I want. I have to show people the horns, they don't notice them against the frame.
Hi Ric. What specific PIAA bracket did you use? DO you have a part #? PIAA site does not show a Victory specific kit.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Hi Ric. What specific PIAA bracket did you use? DO you have a part #? PIAA site does not show a Victory specific kit.
Here's a link to the PIAA clamp in chrome.
http://www.piaa.com/store/p/520-1-1-4-Chrome-L-Bracket-Bar-Light-Clamps.aspx
If you would like a pair of these in black, I have a brand new set I'll sell for $50 which includes shipping via USPS. Yes, they fit the Vic round crash bar. There are adapters to fit any 7/8", 1", 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" bars.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone know the rating on the xct horn relay ? specifically the contacts for the horn itself ?
i am considering getting th wolo bad boy horn but i would doubt the wiring could handle the current for the wolo.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
anyone know the rating on the xct horn relay ? specifically the contacts for the horn itself ?
i am considering getting th wolo bad boy horn but i would doubt the wiring could handle the current for the wolo.
When in doubt, play it safe with a relay.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When in doubt, play it safe with a relay.
Well the XCT HAS a relay already. I guess my biggest concern is the gauge of the wire they used. I would doubt they used anything bigger than 16awg.
Jim

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Well the XCT HAS a relay already. I guess my biggest concern is the gauge of the wire they used. I would doubt they used anything bigger than 16awg.
Jim
The XR also has a horn relay, but I decided to play it safe when installing a pair of LOUD ones. I installed a fuse block beside the battery. It has 6 fused terminals and I relayed the supply to it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
even 18ga wire at 12v should be able to handle about 10A. If your horn is drawing even that much I'd be afraid to be within 100 yards of it when you hit the button.

For reference, 10A at 12v = 120W or about the same power that a higher end car audio receiver will output to 2 speakers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts