Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a proud owner of a 06 Vegas with around 4500 miles, which I picked up about a month ago and its my first motorcycle. I'm located in San Diego and I ride back and forth to work everyday. Since I've had the bike I've averaged around 33 mpg. Light comes on about 120 miles give or take and sometimes turns off and then comes back on a few miles down the road. Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on why my gas mileage seems to be so much worse than everyone elses on this forum. I figured it might have to due with the fact that I'm riding around in low gears about half the time due to traffic and what not, however I'm not sure if that would cause such a drastic decrease. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I consistently get 42 mpg US however my riding it typically all highway with less than 5% in city traffic. In-town traffic is a mixture of idling, high revs while gearing up, on the brakes, blipping for the ego and a few other inefficient processes. I can't answer as to how much an effect the in-town riding has on mpg because we'd each be different but perhaps you can find out yourself. Take a long ride someplace on some open roads that will take a couple of tanks and work it out. If you're in the low to mid 40's you've nothing to worry about. Before you go, check your plugs. All that in-town low rpm with California fuel may gum them up a bit. And stay away from the corn if you can.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have a lot of stops and starts?

I have an 11 XC. On the highway, I usually fill up at around 200 miles and the gas light has not come on. When I'm riding around the city, the gas light turns on closer to 150 miles (I could be a lot off because I am more used to kilometres as I am from Canada, but…)

These are some big engines, and the torque is fun as heck, but it is murder on the milage.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I'm a proud owner of a 06 Vegas with around 4500 miles, which I picked up about a month ago and its my first motorcycle. I'm located in San Diego and I ride back and forth to work everyday. Since I've had the bike I've averaged around 33 mpg. Light comes on about 120 miles give or take and sometimes turns off and then comes back on a few miles down the road. Just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on why my gas mileage seems to be so much worse than everyone elses on this forum. I figured it might have to due with the fact that I'm riding around in low gears about half the time due to traffic and what not, however I'm not sure if that would cause such a drastic decrease. Any help is greatly appreciated!
You did not say if was stock or not. A stock bike should get almost 50 miles per gallon at 55 MPH. You have the 100 C.I. motor with the 6 speed so your mileage should be higher. Have the pipes be changed? Did they put a fuel controller on it? Did they unplug the O2 sensors? If it is not stock the mileage will be different. Also you only have a 4.5 gallon tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Mine did that when the throttle position sensor was out of adjustment.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Some times the right hand effects MPG's, I can go about 50 miles more on a tank' Than my son does when he uses my bike's...

Must be the type of gas he use's?.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Having worked in the petroleum industry for a number of years I have one word for you: California

Couple California fuel with low speed, frequent shifts and stop and go traffic and I think you have your answer. The fuels used in California (especially the summer blend fuels) are not what most of us that live in the USA use. The additives and formula's required to pass environmental standards have a dramatic effect on the amount of energy produced by the fuel you are using. I'd recommend following the suggestions of the previous posts, especially 53canuck and see if you get any difference but I think a lot of the problem is probably the fuel that you're forced to use.

·
13,247 Posts
clean your throttle bodys. go to auto store gets some carb cleaner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone! I appreciate all the replys! I bought her with victory performance drag pipes installed and I also believe he said he had a remap done. I wasn't sure whether the throttle bodies needed to be cleaned with only 4500 miles but I definitely plan on checking that out and the spark plugs as well! I think riding in the constant traffic and 25-35 mph speed limits in Coronado are pretty detrimental especially since by the time I hit the highway on the way home I'm ready to get up and go. Thanks again you guys for all the help!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I can certainly attest to the piss poor stuff that passes for gasoline in CA. After driving around CA in my 10K pound truck for a couple months, the first fill up in Oregon had me thinking I had added a blower to the engine. What a difference GOOD fuel makes.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Ok let me chime in here. I've had my 2004 Vegas about 3 weeks. I had to ride from east Al. to central Ms. It ran well but engine noise was profound. After changing oil a week ago with Rotella T6, mileage is right at 47 mpg. I used a Wix 51356 oil filter from O'Reillys.

I copied what I told vindex in another thread and posted below.

I'm pretty sure the old oil had started breaking down which was evident by the engine sound and the low fuel light coming on at 120 miles.

Today it was at 146 miles and light had not come on. It only needed 3.07 gallons.

When someone is diligent about keeping oil changed, you don't realize the difference it makes in mileage. Old oil makes it work harder. I ain't an expert... I just know what this bike was doing and the difference T6 made.

I've also ran several cans of seafoam thru it and who knows... this most likely helped as well.

I can't funnel $$ into upgrades but I can sure keep it running well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would definitely also recommend running some SeaFoam through the engine every couple of months if the fuel you're using has ethanol in it. Fortunately here in Cody we have an Exxon station that still sells non-ethanol premium but if I take a ride somewhere farther than a 200 mile round trip I'm stuck putting ethanol blended fuel back in it.

I'll also say that be careful about where you're getting your fuel. Stick with top tier fuels i.e. Shell, Mobile, Exxon, Valero etc. Discount fuels such as Maverick or Terrible Herbst get their fuels from the same refineries as the top tier stations but they lack the additives that the top tier fuels have in them. If you're running a carburetored engine it doesn't really matter but fuel injectors don't like to operate long term on low grade fuels. Also no matter what "somebody" has told you or the advertising that you read on the interweb DO NOT use octane boosters. Most if not all nowadays are snake oil which have little to no benefit and can cause more issues on fuel injected engines than they solve if they ever solved anything to begin with.

·
13,247 Posts
You can go on the net and find stations that don't sell ethanol.
Use your phone to figure out your mileage.
Oil will not change your gas mileage as much as people say

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pure-gas.org has a list of stations that don't sell ethanol. It's pretty reliable. At least in the cities I looked up

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Oil will not change your gas mileage as much as people say
Oh yeah? Here is your proof. I ran at least 4 tanks filled to the brim after getting my bike a few weeks ago. About 35 mpg tops and low fuel light coming on at 120. I am a 50 -60 mph rider.

Changed oil with Rotella T6 and Wix filter. 47 mpg!

I don't care if it was vegetable oil and a rag... brand don't mean anything to me. Only care for what works.

However, Seafoam treatment along with decent oil, could have made the difference. I do believe in this brand. thumb up

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
http://www.mpgtokpl.net/calculator/mpg-miles-gallon-us-kpl-kilometers-liter-calculator

mate, You got exactly the same mileage as me 1:14 so that is for you 33 Mpg (if i am a good boy) so when I was bone stock or upgraded it did not change much
maximum is 38 MpG

Common Conversion's MPG(US) to KPLMPG(US)
5====10===15====20====25==30==35===40==45====50
2.13 / 4.25 / 6.38 / 8.5 / 10.63 / 12.75 / 14.88 / 17 / 19.13 / 21.26

(Full Conversion Table: 1 mpg to 100 mpg | 101 mpg to 200 mpg)

Common Conversion's KPL to MPG(US)KPL
5=====10====15===20====25====30====35==40====45=====50
11.77 / 23.53 / 35.3 / 47.06 / 58.83 / 70.59 / 82.36 / 94.12 / 105.89 / 117.65

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I also noticed the engine noise is quieter with the T-6. Gas mileage? I just put gas in bike when the light comes on. 20-50 mpg, couldn't tell ya too busy puttin miles on bike.:ride: I do run non-enthenol.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My 8 ball had 2 into 1 pipe and filters stage 1 by dealer,kept within its optimum cruising range 50-75 mph was getting between 55-62 mpg (uk gallons)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts