Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, revisiting an issue I had a while ago, but now with more info. 2001 v92c. After running highway speeds for about 1-1.5 hours my bike starts to cough and pop when I roll on the throttle, gets to the point that I can't even maintain speed. Idles fine, shut it off and it starts just fine, and after letting it sit for about 15 minutes I can go for another 45 minutes to an hour before it acts up again. One other thing I've noticed is a whirring noise coming from the front lower end of the bike... not sure if it's related or not. I can't pin point the location, but it's in the area where the starter and regulator is. After I kill the engine I get one last whir noise out of it afer the engine stops. So, I'm thinking that there is an electrical issue that is only arising when it gets really hot. I'm hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction before I take it to the Vic shop.

·
13,082 Posts
Check battery cables to see if there tight

Start bike let it idle and spray carb cleaner or even WD40 up around FI bodys. Don't spray to much and see if idle picks up. You could have air leak.

Check fuel pump for pressure you pump my be going out an the Vic Shop in iowa Can rebuild it for you

http://thevicshop.com/

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Cracked hoses under the tank can do that too. After it gets to a certain temp it acts different than when cold.

When was the last time you changed those hoses under there? On an 01 they are about due.

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
If gas cap isn't venting, there can be a vacuum in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoses maybe, that should be easy enough, but when it happens the first thing I thought of was the gas cap, so i cracked it with no change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you find wrong I have an 05 Vegas and after riding for 20-30 minutes if I stop it will crank over and pop and backfire, if I'm someplace with a hill and turn key on and let it roll for a 100 feet or so it will start but no throttle response for a bit, then as it cools a bit from moving it will kick in and go normal any thoughts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
What did you find wrong I have an 05 Vegas and after riding for 20-30 minutes if I stop it will crank over and pop and backfire, if I'm someplace with a hill and turn key on and let it roll for a 100 feet or so it will start but no throttle response for a bit, then as it cools a bit from moving it will kick in and go normal any thoughts
7.5 year old thread. OP hasn't logged in since 2013 so you're unlikely to get a response from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts