Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its a 90F day here in Southern Ontario. Was out for a ride and bike was running fine when we stopped at a local restaurant to cool down. After about a 20 min break came out to start the bike. It started right away as per normal but the RPM's were low, around 750 then it died and refused to start. Had to have it towed home. Seems like it is not getting fuel. Lots of fuel in the tank and it turns over just fine. Bike only has 13000km/7500 mile on it. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

·
13,038 Posts
put bike on battery tender cause you'll wear
battery down trying to start it. All so check battery bolts with 10mm wrench to make sure there tight. A good idea is add 1/4 inch lock washer to each bolt so they don't come loose again. Are the spark plugs wet from trying to start it. If so then its getting fuel but you might need to do a fuel pump test.
Could of been just to hot out

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have seen issues with mine where the IAC valve didn't reset properly. Would barely idle without a little throttle. Resetting the IAC seemed to help immediately. Toreset it, turn the key on but don't start the bike. Wait a few seconds, then turn it off. If you don't hear a fast "chugging" sound after about 10 seconds, do it again. Keep doing it until you get that "chugging" sound about 10 secs after turning the bike off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of juice on the battery. Bike turns over fine. Fuel pump relay clicks but pump doesn't seem to run the way it should. Sort of a sick hum more than the normal spool up. Fuse for the pump/coils is fine. Left bike several hours and tried again. NADA. Rolls over, no smell of fuel. Thinking pump must have died????

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now I'm totally bewildered. Went out this morning and turned the bike on and the fuel pump spooled up as it should. Hit the starter button and the bike fired up just like it should. Ran perfectly. Now what caused this glitch and will it happen again. I'm thinking a vapour lock of sorts between the pump and the injectors. The big question is will it happen again and how do I remedy the problem without waiting 24 hours for the bike to cool off completely.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
My first bet would be either a weak battery or terminals that aren't tight enough. My CCT had a low and stumbling idle when the battery was going out. I've ridden in very high temps, 95F to 105F, on several occasions and never had vapor lock issue. Also, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas so it's really not a good practice to run the tank much lower than when the fuel light comes on. That last 1 to 1.5 gal is likely needed to keep the pump cool. Especially in high temperature riding conditions. I always try to gas up either right before my light is due to come on or as soon after as I can.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My tank range is about 420 km 260ish miles). At 300km, i'm filling my tank. Thats 3 hours of riding, which my butt is hard pressed to stand without a break anyway. And leaves about 70 miles to go in the tank. Its a few hairs before my empty light goes on.

·
Registered
533 Posts
not sure if the Victory bikes can have this, but on one of my sportbikes, I used to get vapor lock on the tank, specially hot days. would have to open the fuel cap and vent the tank and it would run fine for a while.... ended up having to trim a couple turns of the spring for the pressure vent in the gas cap because it would build up too much pressure and the vent wouldn't open.... but it sounds exactly like what you are describing... i haven't had any issues like this with my XR or even how/where the tank vents are.. but could be possible i suppose.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well now I'm totally bewildered. Went out this morning and turned the bike on and the fuel pump spooled up as it should. Hit the starter button and the bike fired up just like it should. Ran perfectly. Now what caused this glitch and will it happen again. I'm thinking a vapour lock of sorts between the pump and the injectors. The big question is will it happen again and how do I remedy the problem without waiting 24 hours for the bike to cool off completely.

Tim
I had been doing some reading about a Victory same problem and the guy had it towed to a dealer and the mechanic put the guage on the fuel line( or whereever they put it ) and as soon as the pressure was releived the pump worked proper, mechanic said something about something gets stuck with the pressure.
Good to hear you got it running.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't think battery was an issue. Bike turned over quickly and all lights were fine.

Tank was half full when the no start happened so pump should have been adequately cooled.

Went for a little ride around town today with 2 separate 30 minute stops. Bike started and ran as it should.
Now is the worry,will it do it again and how to troubleshoot it and rectify the problem without waiting 24 hours. Will check with the mechanics at the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. Annoying to say the least.

Tim

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Don't think battery was an issue. Bike turned over quickly and all lights were fine.

Tank was half full when the no start happened so pump should have been adequately cooled.

Went for a little ride around town today with 2 separate 30 minute stops. Bike started and ran as it should.
Now is the worry,will it do it again and how to troubleshoot it and rectify the problem without waiting 24 hours. Will check with the mechanics at the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. Annoying to say the least.

Tim
You should really listen to Chattanooga on this one. Just because your bike starts fine does not mean that you may not have battery terminal issues. It may not be your problem but I would take off the terminals, clean them and the posts, and put them back on nice and snug. I've been on this forum for 6 years now and have read more than one post where the battery terminal caused the poor running/starting issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should really listen to Chattanooga on this one. Just because your bike starts fine does not mean that you may not have battery terminal issues. It may not be your problem but I would take off the terminals, clean them and the posts, and put them back on nice and snug. I've been on this forum for 6 years now and have read more than one post where the battery terminal caused the poor running/starting issues.
I will do this as i was planning on installing an aux power source for my GPS unit any way. Anything to make sure this does not happen again.

Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have seen issues with mine where the IAC valve didn't reset properly. Would barely idle without a little throttle. Resetting the IAC seemed to help immediately. Toreset it, turn the key on but don't start the bike. Wait a few seconds, then turn it off. If you don't hear a fast "chugging" sound after about 10 seconds, do it again. Keep doing it until you get that "chugging" sound about 10 secs after turning the bike off.
This the same was all models and years ?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I /think/ it's the same for all 2008-and-up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I ridden the bike daily for the past week in some very warm temperatures and it has performed flawlessly.
Now what I failed to mention in my original post is that my bike is equipped with the Scorpio Victory Keyless Ignition/Alarm system. Does anyone know if an alarm is triggered, does it shut down the ECU. If it does will it allow the bike to turn over but not start as the pump won't run nor will there be spark. Does it reset after a period of time, say 12 hours?

Upon refection I may have felt the key fob vibrate in my pocket just prior to the no start. Just grasping at straws trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks, Tim

·
13,038 Posts
YUP I bet its the alarm. If you haven't don't it make sure you put there phone number in your phone. They can send a code to you if fob doesn't work. Even call them and tell them what happened to bike

https://ridescorpio.com/ride/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YUP I bet its the alarm. If you haven't don't it make sure you put there phone number in your phone. They can send a code to you if fob doesn't work. Even call them and tell them what happened to bike

https://ridescorpio.com/ride/
Well I called Scorpio and they were very courteous and willing to help, however they feel my no start was not alarm related as the if it was alarm related then there would be no power to anything as the alarm would shut down the whole bike until its deactivated. He then went on to tell me that they supplied the module etc but Polaris designed the wiring harness and the push button start/cheese wedge. I am wondering if Victory designed it to shut down the ECU but left everything else in play. Local dealer is closed today, will call them tomorrow.

Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts