Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed this latest mod, was wondering what everyone thought about it. I'm new to posting here so if I do/did something wrong, I apologize.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Interesting idea... however my eyes would never allow me to ride very long at any given time. Sort of made me dizzy... but if you can hack it, it's unique and I think everyone should individualize their bikes.

PS... are you related to Bear Bryant???

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Not yet sure whether I like it, but certainly unique. Do you have a link to a company doing this process (as I'd like to read more about it)?

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong -- this is one of the things the forum's for, sharing farkle ideas.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I've been thinking about hydro dipping my dash but in a carbon fiber pattern. I'm just not sure how durable this process is. Does it seem tough? Do you clear over it? Just wondering.

Looks like whoever did yours did a nice job!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
pretty durable stuff and been around for a while. They do wheels all the time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hydro dipping is very similar to "water marbling". This technique has been around for 1000s of years. My favourite incarnation is the Turkish technique Ebru. I have posted a couple videos to the painters thread if you are interested.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting idea... however my eyes would never allow me to ride very long at any given time. Sort of made me dizzy... but if you can hack it, it's unique and I think everyone should individualize their bikes.

PS... are you related to Bear Bryant???
Not related to The Bear, but most people know how crazy we Alabama fans are about our football. I'm not a crazy one but I do love my Alabama football, but I also like all SEC teams and other teams around the nation, Notre dame, Oregon, and some others. It hasn"t distracted me yet, but I've only rode about 50 miles since I got it back together.
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet sure whether I like it, but certainly unique. Do you have a link to a company doing this process (as I'd like to read more about it)?

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong -- this is one of the things the forum's for, sharing farkle ideas.
I seen it mentioned here first then I started researching a little, mostly via Youtube videos, then someone here at work knew a guy that done this, his tank wasn"t big enough, but he knew a guy with a professional setup and this guy done it for me. It's supposed to be just as durable as paint, I had him put 6 coats of clear over it, usually they put 2 or 3, but because of the elements it would see, I wanted it protected pretty well.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about hydro dipping my dash but in a carbon fiber pattern. I'm just not sure how durable this process is. Does it seem tough? Do you clear over it? Just wondering.

Looks like whoever did yours did a nice job!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yes, it feels tough. I had the guy put 6 coats of clear because of it being exposed to rain, bugs and stuff. It feels no different than paint because all you feel is clear coat. Search Google for Hydrographic film and you can find a good variety of patterns, theres a whole bunch of camo stuff where people do guns, bows, deer heads and other stuff like that. The company I found my pattern was TWN I think, they have maybe 100 or so options. It is different and an option other than airbrush or complete custom paint. I would just caution you, the guy had to dip mine a second time because the first time the film stretched in the gauge area, even the second time he tried, it still stretched down underneath where the handlebars go under the fairing but you cant see it unless you really get down looking for it. I know its not for everybody but I kinda like it and thought I would try it, I was gonna paint my inner fairing anyway, so I thought I would give this a shot first, there's a lot of painted dashes out there, but this is kind of one of a kind.
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry if it's up there somewhere, i may have missed it. What is the actual material used for the dip? My wife marbles things by dipping them in oil based enamels. It seems the hydro dipping is like some sort of vinyl or something. If it's used for wheels it has to be pretty durable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if it's up there somewhere, i may have missed it. What is the actual material used for the dip? My wife marbles things by dipping them in oil based enamels. It seems the hydro dipping is like some sort of vinyl or something. If it's used for wheels it has to be pretty durable.
It's a film like material,maybe like xmas paper but a little more durable. They roll it out to a size that will cover part being dipped, tape it off, cut it out, cut relief cuts in it so it can expand a little, they lay it on top of water in a tank or tub, let it soak about a minute, then spray an activator on it, the film starts to expand and kinda "loosen up" I guess for lack of better words, then 1 minute after spraying with activator they dip the part at an angle kind of rolling it through the film until the part is submerged completely, then they stir the part around to wash the remaining film away from the part and pull it out of the water, rinse,let dry, then clear coat. Look it up on youtube, its pretty neat, not much they cant do. The guy that done mine has a tank big enough he said he could dip a 4 wheeler frame, he showed me helmets, guns, picture frames, mailboxes, cell phone covers and other things he had dipped. He did say this inner fairing was the most challenging, not just the size but getting the design to "lay" on the part just right and without distorting.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
How do ya keep from getting hypnotized?
Pretty Wife sez the dash looks like a hounds tooth cat face.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do ya keep from getting hypnotized?
Pretty Wife sez the dash looks like a hounds tooth cat face.
Funny, my wife was saying it looks just like a face when I had it leaned up on a table taking pics before I installed the pieces. Look in the "Show off your Cross country" pic section for those pics. I have to say, it does look like a face, someone might do something with that idea one day. Not sure about being hypnotized yet, haven't had a long trip yet, just got it put back together Sunday, then snow and ice Tuesday and Wed., but did get to ride a little Friday, upper 50's lower 60's, but had to cut ride short for family obligations:(

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's a film like material,maybe like xmas paper but a little more durable. They roll it out to a size that will cover part being dipped, tape it off, cut it out, cut relief cuts in it so it can expand a little, they lay it on top of water in a tank or tub, let it soak about a minute, then spray an activator on it, the film starts to expand and kinda "loosen up" I guess for lack of better words, then 1 minute after spraying with activator they dip the part at an angle kind of rolling it through the film until the part is submerged completely, then they stir the part around to wash the remaining film away from the part and pull it out of the water, rinse,let dry, then clear coat. Look it up on youtube, its pretty neat, not much they cant do. The guy that done mine has a tank big enough he said he could dip a 4 wheeler frame, he showed me helmets, guns, picture frames, mailboxes, cell phone covers and other things he had dipped. He did say this inner fairing was the most challenging, not just the size but getting the design to "lay" on the part just right and without distorting.
Ya its very similar to the method of marbeling I posted in the painters thread (with a cool video to a guitar being dipped) but the fact that its a solid film/sheet is pretty interesteing. I like it, youll stand out for sure. A good thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awful. ...just my opinion. Rock it if ur into it.
I can appreciate your honesty, at least I know where you stand. Thats what I like, people not afraid to tell the truth. Thats part of whats wrong with this country, to much political correctness. I know everyone's not gonna like it and I'm good with that, doesn't bother me at all because I done it for me.
Thanks bigsteveo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts