Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2003 I bought a Screaming Eagle Road King. I thought I was buying an American Motorcycle. I was wrong. A large part of what you find on every HD are foreign made. I felt ripped off and still do. Fast forward to 2010. Ive been looking at Victory's for a while now and am nearing the point of pulling the trigger on a new touring bike. But before I do I want to know what % of parts on a Victory are made in the USA. Im not a purist, but it's my dime and in these sad economic times I want to own an American Bike and do something for the average American working man or woman. We need these good paying blue collar jobs. Not everyone is suitable for college or to sit in front of a computer monitor all day. Taking a piece of metal and forming it into something better than the rest of the worlds offerings is WHAT MADE THIS COUNTRY GREAT. What say you?

·
Registered
243 Posts
like diamond i also don't know, however i like your attitude and share your concern, the last thing i did to my harley before selling, " Genuine H. D. " printed right on the top end gasket set was , enclosed items made in, u.s. , china, and some other ass#@$ place, seems like when any product crosses the line as to how much is american v/s foreign and which foreign venue it is, we as purchasers have to make that decision.
to buy or change.

steve

·
Registered
301 Posts
at suzukie polaris at pelham alabama,theres a guy that has worked with victory since first started, his name is carl. we talk when i go in & i asked the same question. i was informed that vic is i think about 18 % more than hd & the forien parts come from countrys that produce great parts no second rate. next time i see him ill get better list of manufactors & post. i also saw a pic of sonnie barger of hells angels on a custom vision with club skull & wings light by the side vision logo it was cool and theres more of them rideing i understand..:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
While I was deciding to stay with Harley or come over to Victory I researched this same question. I knew I was gonna buy an American made bike!! The 18% more than a Harley was the same number I found. This was one of a handfull of reasons I made the switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I was deciding to stay with Harley or come over to Victory I researched this same question. I knew I was gonna buy an American made bike!! The 18% more than a Harley was the same number I found. This was one of a handfull of reasons I made the switch.
I guess we see things differently than most folks. Many of our people are without jobs, whole industries have been disassembled and moved to China. Why would a sane person continue to cut his own throat? If Victory was smart they would offer at least one bike that was 100% made in the USA if nothing else but to see if there was a market for it. Of course that would expose the myth that American bikes are made in America with 100% American parts.

Im sure that if Victory did build a 100% American bike 1) it would sell and 2) the Harley crowd would come over in droves. Especially if all the statistics on foreign parts included in each bike were known. I think the time is right for this kind of bike even if it is slightly higher priced. Honest hardworking Americans want to save their country and this mindset of buying American is the only thing that will work.

The truth is that if you trace the cost of goods back to the 60s you'd see that when adjusted for inflation they are even higher today than then. We didn't gain from giving our high paying blue collar jobs away. We lost. The only ones to gain were the Corps. and the bankers who shoveled the excess money into their pockets. We gained nothing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The number is near 90%. Things like Italian forks and brembo brakes and such. Parts such as frames both cast and steel and bars and swingarms and entire motor/transmission are american

·
Registered
301 Posts
good post michael
i agree if thay could try and do this i to bleave thay would bring more to vic, if nothing else if thay would post where all the parts was from then folks would see a lot of the places that build these parts are not cheep its all quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess we see things differently than most folks. Many of our people are without jobs, whole industries have been disassembled and moved to China. Why would a sane person continue to cut his own throat? If Victory was smart they would offer at least one bike that was 100% made in the USA if nothing else but to see if there was a market for it. Of course that would expose the myth that American bikes are made in America with 100% American parts.

Im sure that if Victory did build a 100% American bike 1) it would sell and 2) the Harley crowd would come over in droves. Especially if all the statistics on foreign parts included in each bike were known. I think the time is right for this kind of bike even if it is slightly higher priced. Honest hardworking Americans want to save their country and this mindset of buying American is the only thing that will work.

The truth is that if you trace the cost of goods back to the 60s you'd see that when adjusted for inflation they are even higher today than then. We didn't gain from giving our high paying blue collar jobs away. We lost. The only ones to gain were the Corps. and the bankers who shoveled the excess money into their pockets. We gained nothing.
Im not so sure that the harley folks would come. They like to talk the talk but it seems to me they are like sheep they just follow what they are told. How many rational people do you know will pay $50.00 for a t shirt and $120 for a button down shirt? :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
In 2003 I bought a Screaming Eagle Road King. I thought I was buying an American Motorcycle. I was wrong. A large part of what you find on every HD are foreign made. I felt ripped off and still do. Fast forward to 2010. Ive been looking at Victory's for a while now and am nearing the point of pulling the trigger on a new touring bike. But before I do I want to know what % of parts on a Victory are made in the USA. Im not a purist, but it's my dime and in these sad economic times I want to own an American Bike and do something for the average American working man or woman. We need these good paying blue collar jobs. Not everyone is suitable for college or to sit in front of a computer monitor all day. Taking a piece of metal and forming it into something better than the rest of the worlds offerings is WHAT MADE THIS COUNTRY GREAT. What say you?
It's American Enough For Me!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The number is near 90%. Things like Italian forks and brembo brakes and such. Parts such as frames both cast and steel and bars and swingarms and entire motor/transmission are american
I understand name recognition on the Brembo Brakes etc. but are we saying we cant build good brakes or forks here in this country? I would rather see the letters USA on them than Brembo. Wiring, upholstery, glass and plastic parts are other items that are usually imported for use on Motorcycles.

We need those factory jobs. The globalists (Obama,Bush, Gore, Clintons, Tony Blair etc) are using these factory jobs as political and economic leverage in countries around the world. Not everyone here is suited to work in front of a Computer monitor all day. What made America great was when an American took a piece of raw material and formed into one of the best products in the world.

In 1969 I was a senior in High School. As a sophmore I made up my mind that before I graduated I was going to buy a new car. I made money fixing up and selling cars while working swing shift in a Pasadena factory. On my 18th birthday I walked into a Chevy dealership and bought my 1st new car. A 1969 Nova SS 396 4 spd.blk/blk. I paid $3600.00 for it. Working for 3.50 per hour may not sound like much but in 1969 it was more than 3X the minimum wage of 1.12/hr. Back then factory jobs were plentiful. Of course that's before the invasion of illegal aliens took over what was left of the factory work. Another globalist tactic for bringing America down.

Fast forward to 2004. I bought a new GTO for $35,000. Its a factory hot rod similar to the SS I bought in 69. You see how the price had gone up 10X since then. And here is where it gets interesting.... Today you'l never find an unskilled factory worker making 35.00 an hour which is what it would be if you multiplied my 3.50/hr X10.
Where did it go? Inflation is just a buzzword used to make us think that s__t just happens when exactly the opposite is true.

Most of the time the prices we pay have nothing to do with the cost to produce them. Its whatever the market will bear. Look at gasoline, 3.00 a gal. when it should be 1.50 per gallon, and it was before the latest shortage scams were used on us. Look at houses. In 1969 my family was living in a new 4 bdrm house that cost my dad 26K. Today those same exact houses sell for 5-600K, Thats 20X what they sold for in 69. Do you think anyones wages have gone up 20X since 69?

My point is this. We've been good Americans. We have endured the hardships, paid the taxes, helped the poor, and fought the wars. Now its time for us. We need a new Constitutional law. One that states absolutely that 80% of everything we consume in this country will be made in this country by real Americans using American made parts. That leaves 20% for tariffed imported goods WHICH IS MORE THAN FAIR. Nothing short of this will save America.

AMERICA WAS NOT CREATED TO BE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD. AMERICA WAS CREATED TO BE SEPARATE FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD. THE MORE WE TRY TO BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE THE MORE WE LOSE OUR IDENTITY, OUR PRINCIPALS, AND THE VERY DRIVE THAT MADE US GREAT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I understand name recognition on the Brembo Brakes etc. but are we saying we cant build good brakes or forks here in this country? I would rather see the letters USA on them than Brembo. Wiring, upholstery, glass and plastic parts are other items that are usually imported for use on Motorcycles.

We need those factory jobs. The globalists (Obama,Bush, Gore, Clintons, Tony Blair etc) are using these factory jobs as political and economic leverage in countries around the world. Not everyone here is suited to work in front of a Computer monitor all day. What made America great was when an American took a piece of raw material and formed into one of the best products in the world.

In 1969 I was a senior in High School. As a sophmore I made up my mind that before I graduated I was going to buy a new car. I made money fixing up and selling cars while working swing shift in a Pasadena factory. On my 18th birthday I walked into a Chevy dealership and bought my 1st new car. A 1969 Nova SS 396 4 spd.blk/blk. I paid $3600.00 for it. Working for 3.50 per hour may not sound like much but in 1969 it was more than 3X the minimum wage of 1.12/hr. Back then factory jobs were plentiful. Of course that's before the invasion of illegal aliens took over what was left of the factory work. Another globalist tactic for bringing America down.

Fast forward to 2004. I bought a new GTO for $35,000. Its a factory hot rod similar to the SS I bought in 69. You see how the price had gone up 10X since then. And here is where it gets interesting.... Today you'l never find an unskilled factory worker making 35.00 an hour which is what it would be if you multiplied my 3.50/hr X10.
Where did it go? Inflation is just a buzzword used to make us think that s__t just happens when exactly the opposite is true.

Most of the time the prices we pay have nothing to do with the cost to produce them. Its whatever the market will bear. Look at gasoline, 3.00 a gal. when it should be 1.50 per gallon, and it was before the latest shortage scams were used on us. Look at houses. In 1969 my family was living in a new 4 bdrm house that cost my dad 26K. Today those same exact houses sell for 5-600K, Thats 20X what they sold for in 69. Do you think anyones wages have gone up 20X since 69?

My point is this. We've been good Americans. We have endured the hardships, paid the taxes, helped the poor, and fought the wars. Now its time for us. We need a new Constitutional law. One that states absolutely that 80% of everything we consume in this country will be made in this country by real Americans using American made parts. That leaves 20% for tariffed imported goods WHICH IS MORE THAN FAIR. Nothing short of this will save America.

AMERICA WAS NOT CREATED TO BE LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD. AMERICA WAS CREATED TO BE SEPARATE FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD. THE MORE WE TRY TO BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE THE MORE WE LOSE OUR IDENTITY, OUR PRINCIPALS, AND THE VERY DRIVE THAT MADE US GREAT.
It is not what you ride It is That you ride

·
Registered
101 Posts
at suzukie polaris at pelham alabama,theres a guy that has worked with victory since first started, his name is carl. we talk when i go in & i asked the same question. i was informed that vic is i think about 18 % more than hd & the forien parts come from countrys that produce great parts no second rate. next time i see him ill get better list of manufactors & post. i also saw a pic of sonnie barger of hells angels on a custom vision with club skull & wings light by the side vision logo it was cool and theres more of them rideing i understand..:cool:
It is not what you ride ...It is THAT you ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is not what you ride ...It is THAT you ride.
I agree, but if we dont fix it, we wont have a ride or a place to ride. Those of you that are younger than 40 havnt lived long enough to see the changes the rest of us old guys have. It could all disappear overnight. Do you like pressing one for english?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree, but if we dont fix it, we wont have a ride or a place to ride. Those of you that are younger than 40 havnt lived long enough to see the changes the rest of us old guys have. It could all disappear overnight. Do you like pressing one for english?

HELLLL NO And i dont like calling a microsoft, visa, and outher help lines and trying to talk to some one from india, saudi, or where ever. thats why we dont have jobs now.:mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I first started researching Victory motorcycles the numbers that I came across were 65% American parts on ther Victory and 62% American parts on the Harley. This was late 2006 and I'm sure the numbers have changed since then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I first started researching Victory motorcycles the numbers that I came across were 65% American parts on ther Victory and 62% American parts on the Harley. This was late 2006 and I'm sure the numbers have changed since then.
Thanks, If we are going to change this and turn this country around we need to get mad and stay mad. Forcing a showdown on the" press one for english" thing is a good place to start. Getting Victory and others to tell us what on their bikes is not American made is something we all can get involved with. They are not going to want to tell us, they may even lie to us in the beginning but if we stay mad we will prevail.

I think we should start a nationwide boycott of any business that uses any terminology concerning foreign languages as a prerequisite to doing business by phone. Lets say May 1st. Thats a good day to start the boycott. When the Irish, Germans, Italians, etc came to this country they didnt have this luxury and giving Mexicans preferential treatment only helps them in this illegal invasion. We need to step in and end this while working toward convincing Victory and others to make OUR motorcycles 100% made in the USA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
.........while working toward convincing Victory and others to make OUR motorcycles 100% made in the USA.
This is a great idea in concept but it would also make me glad I already have my two Vics. The price for a new 100% American made bike would be so high, no one would buy them. Unfortunate but true.

Since my earlier post I have been checking for updated information. Pretty tough to find anything substantiated by any kind of facts. You have the image lemmings saying Harley is 85% American made and then the others who say 48%. I know the first number is way too high but I'm not sure about the latter either. Same goes for Victory. Not much to backup the claims but they seem to center around 75% American products. I still think that may be a bit high but I too have nothing to back this up with. I'd say take a look at the boxes the parts come in. That should tell you a lot. Of course the dealership probably won't let you go to the warehouse and start rummaging around. The unfortunate fact is that there are a lot of products that can be manufactured a lot cheaper overseas. Lower labor costs and less environmental restrictions on manufacturing and mining all reduce the cost to get an item from raw material to a finished product. It makes good business sense to utilize these less expensive products. It makes shitty "American Made" sense though. It's a Catch 22 situation for them. Foreign parts equals lower production cost which equals lower price to the customer. Domestic parts equals...well you get the picture. I didn't have any control over domestic vs foreign when I bought my bikes but I do try to buy American whenever possible when I buy aftermarket goodies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This is a great idea in concept but it would also make me glad I already have my two Vics. The price for a new 100% American made bike would be so high, no one would buy them. Unfortunate but true.

Since my earlier post I have been checking for updated information. Pretty tough to find anything substantiated by any kind of facts. You have the image lemmings saying Harley is 85% American made and then the others who say 48%. I know the first number is way too high but I'm not sure about the latter either. Same goes for Victory. Not much to backup the claims but they seem to center around 75% American products. I still think that may be a bit high but I too have nothing to back this up with. I'd say take a look at the boxes the parts come in. That should tell you a lot. Of course the dealership probably won't let you go to the warehouse and start rummaging around. The unfortunate fact is that there are a lot of products that can be manufactured a lot cheaper overseas. Lower labor costs and less environmental restrictions on manufacturing and mining all reduce the cost to get an item from raw material to a finished product. It makes good business sense to utilize these less expensive products. It makes shitty "American Made" sense though. It's a Catch 22 situation for them. Foreign parts equals lower production cost which equals lower price to the customer. Domestic parts equals...well you get the picture. I didn't have any control over domestic vs foreign when I bought my bikes but I do try to buy American whenever possible when I buy aftermarket goodies.
Ive heard this argument before about it being too expensive to have these parts built here and It doesnt hold water. More often than not it involves companies that merely wanted a bigger share of the pie. What they are exluding in their argument is when dealing with certain industries that were shut down here before, they say it would cost them too much to reopen them. Untrue. They made the INVESTMENT in new high tech factories!! Its just that they didnt do it here!!! They did it over there. Once you factor in that it all falls into place. OVER THERE THEY COULD HIRE SOMEONE FOR 20 CENTS AN HOUR TO LOAD AND UNLOAD CNC MACHINES. Another thing; The shipping alone adds a great deal to the cost of every part. But who owns the shipping companies. take a look. Its the same crowd. They have used these arguments against us as a preemptive strike that has in the past taken the wind out of our sails. I am involved in several projects that had to be priced out either having them made here or in china. Its not as it seems.

In Mexico they have found an oil and gas reserve bigger than in Saudi Arabia. All they would have to do is run a pipeline across the border and Voilla cheaper oil, AND many new jobs would open up in Mexico. So many in fact that most of the illegal aliens could go back home. SOOOO, why dont they do it? Its Because they have a hidden agenda. A etched in stone plan and importing oil from Mexico would upset their plans for the middle east. Take Venezuela for instance. The president of Venezuela offered to sell us enough oil at a cheap enough price that we could have gasoline for 1.00 per gallon, DO YOU EVER HEAR THAT ON TV ??? EVEN OUR NEWS IS FILTERED TO THE POINT THAT THINGS LIKE THIS NEVER REACH OUR EARS.
GET MAD AND STAY MAD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts