Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How Do I Carry Extra Fuel On My Motorcycle?

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Bigmike17 
#1 ·

Riders who have cut their teeth in the urban jungle don’t understand the fear that can grip a traveling rider when the fuel light comes on while deep in the American Southwest. I’ve seen stretches of road with no fuel for over 100 miles, and on the Dalton Highway in Alaska, I undertook a section of road that I knew was too much for either my Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra or the hardy Kawasaki Ninja 600 my companion was riding on the final gravel stretch to Prudhoe Bay. In most instances, a little common sense can go a long way towards making sure you aren’t stranded by simply filling your tank when it gets less than half-full while riding remote, unfamiliar roads.

Sometimes, the adventure gets the best of our self-control, sending us off half-cocked into the wilderness – or maybe we just get lost occasionally. You can, without too much trouble, carry some extra fuel with you. On the aforementioned Alaska trip, I strapped a five gallon plastic can on the passenger seat of the Ultra. When I got back to a more civilized environment, I fueled my bike and gave the can to a local bike shop. I considered the cost of the donor can to be a worthwhile insurance payment against getting stranded.

Off-road riders who routinely travel beyond their bike’s range buy fuel cans that are made to be mounted on motorcycles. Roto Pax and other manufacturers make cans in a wide range of sizes and designs mounting solutions that can be adapted to motorcycles. Still, storing that extra gas can be dangerous if not done properly...
Read more about How Do I Carry Extra Fuel On My Motorcycle? at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hook up to a tanker truck and pull that bitch with you. You won't get very good mileage but who cares, you are pulling thousands of gallons with you!

#4 ·
We carry 4 gals in one of the saddlebags of our goldwing hack. It gets 20 mpg exactly. With 5 accessible in the tank that gives us about 180 miles which is a little more than the furthest gas stops going from WA to AZ. The hardest part is finding out which little towns still carry gas when on the road. In Utah you can find entire towns with gas pumps that are completely closed down.

Mapquest is pretty good for that if you happen across somewhere with WIFI. Otherwise you hope that you find someone local who actually knows.

#5 · (Edited)
guess on a Ducati just a CocaCola bottle as they are build to hold the pressure ??

There are 3 posts on your front page and NON are about Victory, do you ride a Vic or even a motorcycle?

#10 ·
NONE of their 22 posts ask a specific victory question because it's not a person asking, it's a website. Nothing more then a website spammer. Guess maybe that's allowed here. Possibly tied in with this site.

#7 · (Edited)
We use a couple of 2 gallon cans that I found that fit in the saddlebag perfectly.
I found these caps that are solid and unvented that work really well. The original government ordained spouts that stored in the can vented gasoline on temperature changes. These don't.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Can-Cap-Replacement-Coarse/dp/B00NB3UUDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455356436&sr=8-1&keywords=gasoline+container+cap[/ame]

They don't leak. I do have to vent them by hand if there is a drastic change in temp.
Went to the manufacturers web page and found the correct one for the cans we have then ordered it from amazon. I carry one of the original spouts that fits both cans, some rubber gloves, some blue paper shop towels and a small funnel in a gallon plastic bag in the same saddle bag that the two gas cans fit in. Might be a little funky but it works great and beats being out of gas in the middle of no where. Our hack is more of a dedicated service vehicle than a show piece anyway.

They make some nice inexpensive small gas cans if you shop around.
I saw some nice ones at a napa I went to that were about a gallon and I think the 2 gallon ones I got came from a feed store. The nozzles are about useless since the gov decided to "make them better". But if you are careful with them sometimes gas can actually be made to come out of them. Hence a small funnel kept in the bag. That same company that makes the lids that actually seal and don't leak makes replacement old style spouts for gas cans too, if I remember right
There is some gas smell in the saddle bag. In our case it might be left over from my first try with the government approved spouts on the cans. The EPA no spill spouts leaked some gas when the temperature warmed up which got on the absorbent mat I put under them. I have a large trash bag folded under the cans and a sheet of that oil absorbent mat that can be bought at walmart in the automotive section directly under the cans. . I dried out the mat but didn't change it. So most likely the odor comes from that.

I bet a 1 or 1 1/2 gallon can would fit into a giant freezer bag just fine. Don't know though never tried it.
Don't forget the shop gloves though. Getting your riding gloves soaked with gas isn't the best thing.

#9 ·
Never thought of it that way. I just cycle the gas in the cans every month.
I need to dump the two cans I have now as they are about a month or two old. Adding some green stable would be a lot cheaper but those do have the advantage of buy and forget them and they are still good when you need them.

With the hack we need the extra gas quite often. It never goes stale.

#12 ·
#18 ·
Anyone ever use a small chemical resistant pump up sprayer? Just remove the nozzle. No leaks, no funnel needed. Designed to hold some pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.