Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys lift your bikes with a bike jack when the engine sits lower than the frame? I just bought a jack and I can't get the bike from wanting to tip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Jacking up your bike

Jump off at about 30 mph that ought to Jack it up pretty good:crzy::ltr::ltr::ltr:cheers

I would like to know the answer as well since I would like to get a Jack, but don't want to get a Jack that doesn't work.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MY JP and vegas were both like that. I would ride the front up a 1" plank sometimes to get a bit more room underneath. I'd also sit on the bike to keep it straight up and down, this creates more clearance. I would just pull the jack in under me at that point and give it a few pumps before I got off.

Totally depends on the jack though. That worked for me.

A small ramp for the front tire should work for any app I figure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
using a motorcycle lift with a foot pump you can hold the bike upright by the handlebars and then raise the jack. My jackpot was fairly stable once off the ground, but if your still worried just strap it down.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I got this one: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-jack-lift.htm for my '07 8-Ball and it's worked great every time. I do use the tie down straps to eliminate any danger of the bike tipping over but in general, once the lift is in place and raised a bit, the bike sits solidly on the platform.

Getting the lift positioned requires standing the bike up while you're standing on the right side of the bike, steadying the bike with the handlebars, and rolling the lift underneath. It can be a bit nerve-wracking the first couple of times but once you have the motions figured out it gets easier.

Miles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you guys are lifting in the bottom of the engine? I have the craftsman lift and if I was to lift the bike up I would be lifting the motor and not touching the frame.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Go to home depot or lowes and pickup a four pack of those rubber furniture squares that go under table legs. Place one at each end of the jack skids, to lift the bike by the frame. Piece of cake, super stable..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been using a bike jack on my several Victories over the years, and surely was as nervous as you when I first noticed that the engine is not flat on the underside, which causes a nerve-wracking tilt. I can say for sure though that I've wrenched my bikes hard on that jack, and never came close to tipping it, even when tilted either way. CAUTION: always ensure that the front jack fork is right behind the kickstand, so that the rear jack fork doesn't catch the oil filter.

·
13,026 Posts
In my manual on page 200 it says you can jack your bike up making sure the jack is flat to the motor.
I have lowered my bike so I run the rear tire up on a board fist to get room to slid the jack under it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased the aluminum jack from Harbor Freight (the more expensive one) and it slides under my Jackpot (lowered) without any problems and it is STABLE.

Make sure to use a 20% off coupon that they have almost everywhere (Sunday Papers, Motorcycle mags, etc.)

Only question/concern I have is how to drain the oil with this jack as it is under the frame/engine sump. Will figure that out later I guess.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've been using one similar to that for a while. Now I'm gonna upgrade to the actual lift from harbor freight. I have a coupon to get it for $299 (normally $499) and I have a store local to me. My buddy from work swears by this lift.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The one I bought was $199 before the 20% off - they only had the 2 at my location, the steel one and the aluminum one I purchased.

I've been using one similar to that for a while. Now I'm gonna upgrade to the actual lift from harbor freight. I have a coupon to get it for $299 (normally $499) and I have a store local to me. My buddy from work swears by this lift.

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
What do you guys think of this for only light jobs like oil changes or other thinks where big needs to be level?

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-center-stand.htm

Says only for 850 lbs, but the got the dresser on it, then they guy stands on it and he's got to be another 180 -200 lbs as big as he is.

I just need something that doesn't take up room in the garage and for odd jobs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've had a J&S Jack for several years and used it with HD & Yamaha bikes. It's easy to use and has a foot pump, just roll it under the bike and jack it up with the bike sitting on the side stand. It's stable and no tie downs required. I store the bike on this jack and roll it around in the garage. It's a little pricy, but built like a tank. I plan on using it for the CCT when I get it later this month as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts