Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you keep your Victory key solo, without anything on it, so nothing dangles around when you have it in the ignition? If so, what do you do to make sure you don't lose it? I am concerned with losing it, but I also don't feel comfortable riding with my whole keyring (4 keys and a small garage opener) dangling around and scratching that shiny cheese wedge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
key

I keep a spare in my wallet. I took off the plastic head and that makes it flat. The one I run with I put a chrome eagle head on it , looks cool and harder to loose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you keep another key on the ring while you ride you will beat the crap out of the the cheese wedge. My fancy little Victory plastic key ring that the dealer gave me with the bike did a number on the wedge on my JP.

It was no big deal for me since I do not like the cheese wedges and removed both and relocated the ignition up under the tank.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I was afraid to attach anything on my key so far (only had it for 2 weeks). But I am constantly worried of where the key is - I might look into one of those short, detachable keyrings, where you can remove it from your bunch of keys, and reattach it when done riding.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgive the newbie, but I recently joined the forum in an effort to learn all I can about the XC before I buy one.

Dumb question: Does the ignition key have to remain in the ignition in order to operate the bike? On my "other American bike", I like being able to keep the keys pocketed until I park and want to lock the ignition.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the ignition key have to remain in the ignition in order to operate the bike?
Yes, the key has to remain in the ignition while operating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of my previous bikes was a big dog chopper that was the same way with a key that had to be in the ignition when the bike was operating. The problem with the Big Dog though was the key had a bad habit of falling out of the ignition and you would never know it until you got to your destination and you found you had no way to turn the ignition off!

A common "fix" was to attach a coil lanyard to the key like this one:

The clip would be attached to the spark plug wire or some other point on the bike.

Maybe something like this would work for the Vic?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my previous bikes was a big dog chopper that was the same way with a key that had to be in the ignition when the bike was operating. The problem with the Big Dog though was the key had a bad habit of falling out of the ignition and you would never know it until you got to your destination and you found you had no way to turn the ignition off!
Ouch! Talk about a frustrating surprise!

Btw, if the key was able to fall on its own, why could you not remove it once you start it? Just wondering since you've mentioned that ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Btw, if the key was able to fall on its own, why could you not remove it once you start it? Just wondering since you've mentioned that ;-)
Well, it never happened to me personally; I was just relaying what I had read on some of the Big Dog forums. The key was not supposed to be removeable but supposedly the heavy vibration of the 117" motor in the rigid frame somehow messed with the key cylinder and owner's were frequently reporting lost keys.

Not wanting it to happen to me, I started using the coiled lanyard described previously.

Too bad that Victory doesn't use a barrel key in the ignition so that it wouldn't be a problem to remove it while running. I wonder if it's possible for a locksmith to retro-fit a barrel key cylinder in place of the OEM one. But then you'd have to carry at least two keys, one for the ignition and one for the bags / tourpak. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Owned a 2005 Corvette, and it had the key-less fob system, where it was enough for the key to be in my pocket to open locked doors, or push the start button, and roll away. It was so convenient, and I wish that was an option on the Vics. But I hate to be a whiner and a complainer so I'm just going to enjoy the old school key.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lost keys - ouch!

I use a 4" long piece of webbing attached to my key.
On my previous bike (Honda VTR 1000) I went off on a ride to a Can Am dealer to test ride a Can Am Spyder (horrible, but that's another story). One hour ride from home, wife in England visiting family, only me at home (Toronto).
Lost my Honda key on the Spyder test drive. Had to call a neighbour to collect me (Sunday). No spare. Bike left at Can Am dealer.
Honda Dealer quoted $700...new ignition, new gas cap, new seat lock...blah blah.
Monday morning - Dealer Principal found my key on the side of the road in his village...fallen out of my pocket on the test run.
Solution-bought 2 spares. Attached one to back of License plate, kept one at home.
I now have 2 spares for the Vegas too...ya never know!

·
13,263 Posts
How Do You Keep Your Victory Key

That the only thing that harley did right you only need the key to lock it. I have a vision and hate the key thing.:(

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is a possible solution. I installed one of these and it works great.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless.html
dance 1 WOW! Sweet! That goes right towards the top of my goodies wish list! Being able to zip up my keys in my jacket's pocket, and ride away into the sunset is priceless! Thanks diamond! Btw, what kind of bike did you install it on?

·
Registered
381 Posts
keyless ignition

dance 1 WOW! Sweet! That goes right towards the top of my goodies wish list! Being able to zip up my keys in my jacket's pocket, and ride away into the sunset is priceless! Thanks diamond! Btw, what kind of bike did you install it on?
I have the guarddawg on my 2011 XC. Totally awesomethumb up just make sure you always have the key with you to open the gas tank when needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my keys

I personaly have a quick disconnect key chain as listed above. And i keep my tc key on a solitary ring. Disconect it from the rest of the keys while i ride. And put them all in my saddlebag. That way there is no chance of me losing them. And as a habbit as soon as i drop the stand i grab the key and place it back on the chain. It may be a minor inconvenience but its well worth it as to never scratch up your wedge. And never lose your keys. Just be sure not to leave your bags open on accident when you ride....... that could get ugly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the guarddawg on my 2011 XC. Totally awesomethumb up just make sure you always have the key with you to open the gas tank when needed.
I am assuming you installed the DGD-KIM-V2 - Keyless Ignition & Security for Victory "VISION" Motorcycles

1 - 20 of 83 Posts