Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pair of Lloydz exhaust gaskets on the way and in preparation to install them, I started to remove the front pipe. Got the joint clamp loose as well as removing the stud nuts at the head. The oval plate is loose and pulled off the studs. Sprayed some penetrate on both the joint and where the pipe enters the head and yanked and yanked and yanked. No movement. HELP!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I think Witchdoctor has a video for this.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Witchdoctor has a video for this.
The video they have describes what it takes to replace an entire exhaust system, not just the gaskets unfortunately. :(

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ric , you are too funny ...:ltr: Just keep removing nuts and bolts until pipes come free , in fact looks like you have to loosen and dismantle most of the system .... I would take depots advice and put it all back together , probably isn't leaking anyway . Although , now that your crush gaskets are already crushed .... It will leak ! Sorry Buddy:D

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
BFH perhaps

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its our turn to get snow. Can't ride, might as well wrench. Keeps me out of the pool hall.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
youre supposed to have EXHAUSTion working on pipes
and mufflers.
:Dbest i got today.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
youre supposed to have EXHAUSTion working on pipes
and mufflers.
:Dbest i got today.
Not too bad Irv - I do love puns. I'm gonna sleep well tonight, what with all the getting on the floor, getting up, getting back on the floor, getting up, repeat, repeat I'm having to do. I'm glad I kept myself in good shape so I can do this project and almost call it fun. I can not believe all the work one has to do to install two small o-ring style gaskets. Very disproportionate. :crzy:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a pair of Lloydz exhaust gaskets on the way and in preparation to install them, I started to remove the front pipe. Got the joint clamp loose as well as removing the stud nuts at the head. The oval plate is loose and pulled off the studs. Sprayed some penetrate on both the joint and where the pipe enters the head and yanked and yanked and yanked. No movement. HELP!
I thought you knew the rule Ritz.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

KISS
Keep it simple, stupid

Apply the KISS principle: Keep rules and procedure pages simple and short, or else people will not read them, and may avoid the project. Similarily, try to keep the number of rules short, and avoid redundant pages when a single one may suffice. Likewise, prefer simple article coding so non-technical people can edit.

I've seen the mechanics at my brother's shop reefing and jerking on exhaust pipes. It didn't look like fun. Most exhaust pipes are removed from the rear forward. If your lucky, the muffler might separate from the main exhaust.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PROGRESS REPORT....
I admit I'm an old guy that was looking for a quick and easy way to do this task. It was not to be. Cases and mufflers had to be removed, and everything anchoring the exhaust system had to be loosened. Fortunately, the head pipes could remain and there was sufficient movement that permitted access to the exhaust ports and the gaskets. The rear OEM gasket showed definite signs of leakage - almost half of the circle was black with soot. No wonder I was getting popping. Compared to Lloydz soft gaskets, the OEM ones are rock hard, they are like spark plug crush washers. Lloydz are like an impregnated soft metallic material.
The new gaskets are in place and the disassembly process is in reverse mode. Yes, it was a fight to separate the pipe joints, but I won! I will sleep well tonight, but hoo boy do I have sore muscles. I'm not complaining, mind you, I'm grateful that at 77 I can still do these things and enjoy it.
Ric
P.S. to Orebiker. Ken, the job required a 24mm socket in order to loosen the recessed nut holding the passenger peg support and I didn't have one. Had to fire up the car and head out in the snow to get it. Note to you Easterners; we aren't accustom to snow here in the NW, unless one lives in higher altitudes.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sweet dreams Ritz , Er Ah , Ric !:D

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
PROGRESS REPORT....
I admit I'm an old guy that was looking for a quick and easy way to do this task. It was not to be. Cases and mufflers had to be removed, and everything anchoring the exhaust system had to be loosened. Fortunately, the head pipes could remain and there was sufficient movement that permitted access to the exhaust ports and the gaskets. The rear OEM gasket showed definite signs of leakage - almost half of the circle was black with soot. No wonder I was getting popping. Compared to Lloydz soft gaskets, the OEM ones are rock hard, they are like spark plug crush washers. Lloydz are like an impregnated soft metallic material.
The new gaskets are in place and the disassembly process is in reverse mode. Yes, it was a fight to separate the pipe joints, but I won! I will sleep well tonight, but hoo boy do I have sore muscles. I'm not complaining, mind you, I'm grateful that at 77 I can still do these things and enjoy it.
Ric
P.S. to Orebiker. Ken, the job required a 24mm socket in order to loosen the recessed nut holding the passenger peg support and I didn't have one. Had to fire up the car and head out in the snow to get it. Note to you Easterners; we aren't accustom to snow here in the NW, unless one lives in higher altitudes.
Glad to hear that it's at least possible. I thought I would have to do that to install passenger floorboards last year, but I didn't need to afterall. I couldn't believe how firmly those pipes were affixed to the engine. Kinda reminds me of Kawasaki. They seem to like the red Loctite. You want to unscrew one of those, break out the impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Glad to hear this massive project is completed. I hope when I'm 77 I will still be able to ride and wrench on my bike! If the exhaust has never been pulled apart and can be a real bitch to get apart, I WD40 everything before I even start. RICZ good call on changing out the stock steel crush gaskets they are a brutal design and the Lloyds gaskets are an upgrade in my eyes. For anyone that plans to do this in the future and not to take any business away from Lloyds in anyway but for some like myself it is just not practical for me, the dealer carries the EXACT same gaskets as they are just pre 106 ci gaskets .

Attachments

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I slept in an extra 1-1/2 hours this morning. Catching up on email and having coffee while a heater tries to warm the garage. Then some breakfast and back to the salt mines. There's an old saying; First times are the hardest. For everything.
Happy Friday clock punchers!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ric really , breakfast at 1:03 . That is p.m. I see ... Time to crack your first cold one , not eat breakfast my friend . :Dcheers:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts