Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm a new rider who has ridden dirt bikes for years, but only recently started riding street bikes. For a variety of reasons, I've recently had it in me to ride from northern Indiana to southern Alaska, just over 3,000 miles. I know, it's probably not the most intelligent thing to do, but hey, I'm young and crazy.

Being young and crazy, I still do want to avoid as many mistakes as possible, and plan as much as possible for the unavoidable. My questions would start with what bike should I even be looking at? (I am trying to stay within a $5k price range.) I've been looking at a couple used Honda Interceptors. Also, what should I anticipate as far as maintenance? Will I need to replace tires some point on the trip? Is there a certain manufacturer I should pursue or avoid because it will be hard to get parts in Canada in case of a break down? Any recommendations for a helmet that can be comfortably worn that long?

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Hey guys,

So I'm a new rider who has ridden dirt bikes for years, but only recently started riding street bikes. For a variety of reasons, I've recently had it in me to ride from northern Indiana to southern Alaska, just over 3,000 miles. I know, it's probably not the most intelligent thing to do, but hey, I'm young and crazy.

Being young and crazy, I still do want to avoid as many mistakes as possible, and plan as much as possible for the unavoidable. My questions would start with what bike should I even be looking at? (I am trying to stay within a $5k price range.) I've been looking at a couple used Honda Interceptors. Also, what should I anticipate as far as maintenance? Will I need to replace tires some point on the trip? Is there a certain manufacturer I should pursue or avoid because it will be hard to get parts in Canada in case of a break down? Any recommendations for a helmet that can be comfortably worn that long?

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated!
Young and crazy is cool
I used to be young and crazy too
Now I'm just crazy :)
You can do it and I'm sure you'll get a few tips on here but it's way past my bedtime and I gotta get up early to go for a big ride.
Good Luck.....and watch out for cars!

·
Registered
21 Posts
More Information can be found online

There is another website geared toward adventure riding that maybe able to provide you with the information you are looking for. Try googling at ADVrider.

·
12,970 Posts
go to the iron butt forum and look up alaska trips.
Yes you'll need tires and they can be hard to come by.
Youtube has a lot of videos on trips to alaska

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
+ Shaft drive. Belts are too susceptible to damage from stones, etc. and chains require frequent lubing and adjusting.
+ Get a low mileage bike with a comfortable sit up riding position and a large gas tank.
+ Rear tires wear twice as fast as fronts. Expect at least 6K miles from a rear tire.
+ Take half the clothes and twice the money.
+ Pack like you would for a long hike, roll everything real tight and rubber band them to keep them tight.
+ Carry sufficient spares, tools and tire repair equipment.
+ Carry an extra gas supply.
+ Finally, talk to others who have done the same trip.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If a sport touring bike is what you're looking for, then see if you can find an FJR1300 in your price range. They're out there. That's a really great distance bike. Has pretty much everything RICZ has listed and typically is reliable. Tire wear will depend on how many miles the tire has already. Rear tire life should be about 10,000 miles +/-3000 depending on the tire and how aggressive you the rider is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts