Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thier back wheel?? just got mine. last wed and tonight was my first washing. there is no easy way to get at that wheel. beside that i must say i look for reasons not to take my jeep anywhere anymore. i just frigggin love this thing. cant wait to get my exhaust, vfc and air intake upgrade's..thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I like S100--spray on, rinse off. To get the entire wheel, I spray then roll the bike until the wheels are covered. Rinse aggressively with high pressure and a narrow stream. Don't use S100 topside as all that rinsing will drown your electrics. Not rinsing well will leave a film. Of course, the bike is cool and in the shade.
I have tried many cleaners, including Simple Green and S100 gets me far better results. I use it on the engine and suspension too.
BTW, S100 can be diluted 1/3 with water and will work just as well and require less rinsing.
Its not often I do a hose style wash. Usually, I use spray detailer, when dirtier, I fill a pail with plain water and drop an old wash cloth in it and do the wet cloth, dry towel thing. I do the windshield first while the cloths are clean. I even do this at motels asking the desk or housekeeping for clean rags. Please do not use the room linen.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Most folks on this forum seem to like the S100 or Simple Green for that part of cleaning the bike. Both products are strong though so don't leave either one sitting on the bike for more than a couple/three minutes. I usually pre-soak with water then spray the Simple Green on. Wait 2 minutes and rinse. If I find some heavily greased up or dirty areas I'll repeat the process but add a bit of elbow grease to the extra dirty spots.

JMHO. YMMV. FWIW.

·
13,247 Posts
Thereis no simple way to clean your wheel. Do what is easy for you.
Me very seldom its just to dam hard

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips . thing i like best is no scrubbing. no way im gettin up in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
There is a center stand for the X bikes for about $300 - that would do the trick for me :)
Failing that, a motorcycle jack would help in freeing the wheel for cleaning

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice set up you have there. i would like to get a lift like that one day. upgrades first though.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I invested in a K&L lift 4 yrs. ago.I slip the scissor jack in,drop the
ramps,sit in a chair and spin the wheel.I generally use Original Bike Spirits or Lucas Slick Mist on the wheels.
Those are the two products I lean on for polishing and light cleaning. Occasionally use Metal Polish (the brand) for bare aluminum or maybe chrome if really needed.

I find the Bike Spirits to be an excellent cleaner that leaves an acceptable finish behind whereas the Lucas Slick Mist is more of a detailer and synthetic wax product. Most excellent on the paint.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to kick a dead horse but when I went to demo day Sat the sales man was goin over the bike. Showin us the tip over protection functionality when it dawned on me.. Hey thats how to get at that wheel. Ofcourse I would lay down thick card board before doing it. I was told it wouldnt hurt anything just make sure you gas tank is not full before flipping to other side.I have not tried it yet still a tad nervous the only thing Im wondering about is getting it back up. I did not try it there but should have hell it wasnt my bike..

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Sat the sales man was goin over the bike. Showin us the tip over protection functionality..
Saw a video of a Goldwinger changing his rear tire by leaning the bike over :D

·
13,247 Posts
I use a spray detailer called Racer Glaze. Reason is cause its anti static so no cleaning dust. Its a Wisc base company.

The tip with spray any thing spray your towel your product will last longer as a posed to spraying the paint

·
Registered
72 Posts
The tipover protection works great! I put down some moving blankets/pads and laid it down, nice and easy! Was surprisingly easy to get back up too! PUT YOUR KICKSTAND DOWN!!

Makes working on the exhaust easy too!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tried the ole tip over to clean the wheels.It was easy but gettin her back up was a tad difficult but I might say my choice of beverage while running through the cleaning routine doesnt help.cheers It got the job done though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well I tried the ole tip over to clean the wheels.It was easy but gettin her back up was a tad difficult but I might say my choice of beverage while running through the cleaning routine doesnt help.cheers It got the job done though.
Gutsy man! I havent got that brave yet but working my way towards it... hehe What did you wind up cleaning with and what was beverage of choice?? lol ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts