Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd day of ownership rolled on me like a thief in the middle of the night. While I am fully focused on breaking in the bike at this time (I only have 100mi on it), I decided to test the cruise control as I was riding to work this morning.

I pushed the first button (ON/OFF) and a red LED turned on on that button, and stayed on - solid red. I would guess that means the cruise control is now on.

I then pushed the "SET" button. Nothing happened. I tried again, and again. Nothing. Turned the cruise control off then back on, and tried the "SET" button again. Still nothing.

By the way, I tried the above mentioned steps in 4th, 5th and 6th gear, while rolling between 50mph and 75mph.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
19 Posts
2nd day of ownership rolled on me like a thief in the middle of the night. While I am fully focused on breaking in the bike at this time (I only have 100mi on it), I decided to test the cruise control as I was riding to work this morning.

I pushed the first button (ON/OFF) and a red LED turned on on that button, and stayed on - solid red. I would guess that means the cruise control is now on.

I then pushed the "SET" button. Nothing happened. I tried again, and again. Nothing. Turned the cruise control off then back on, and tried the "SET" button again. Still nothing.

By the way, I tried the above mentioned steps in 4th, 5th and 6th gear, while rolling between 50mph and 75mph.

Am I doing something wrong?
CONGRATS ON THE NEW RIDE!

It sounds like your doing the right thing. Try pushing and holding the set button in for a couple seconds and see what happens.

I picked up a 2011 XC two weeks ago. LOVE IT!! It took a while getting used to the CC controls.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new ridethumb up

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will try that. I doubt the bike's that smart to block the usage of the cruise control for the first 500 mi - right? I guess I'm just trying to find an excuse for why it's not working :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would assume it works like my XC. Once you turn the cruise on(red light indicator) wait at least 3 seconds until you press the set button. Possibly your trying to set it to quickly after turning it on. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a very good point. I'm fairly positive I jumped all over the buttons, not waiting 3 seconds as I wasn't aware of this. When it didn't work, I flipped it off, then on, then tried to SET speed again, and no bueno. I will try the patient approach, wait 3 seconds after turning the cruise control on, and then try to SET the speed. Thank you for the input - I will report back if that was the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As an update to the cruise control situation, in case anybody else follows this thread in the future, experiencing similar problems: It was a faulty throttle switch, which I had replaced. A now I've got me a working cruise control!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 XC. My cruise light never stayed on and I unplugged the two switches on right side of gas tank. That allows cruise to work but I think this is just a way to bypass proper means. Is this also a throttle issue or just bad switches or are they jumpers?

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
I have a 2012 XC. My cruise light never stayed on and I unplugged the two switches on right side of gas tank. That allows cruise to work but I think this is just a way to bypass proper means. Is this also a throttle issue or just bad switches or are they jumpers?
The cable that operates that switch is probably too tight.

·
Administrator
3,102 Posts
The adjustment of the throttle and/or idle cable can be touchy for getting the cruise control to work properly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If the cable is not too tight it is probably a bad switch. My throttle cable switch started knocking off the cruise in the rain a year or two ago. Next day it would all work again. It is now unplugged.

The switch has normally open contacts. Rolling the throttle to close against the cruise actuator causes that cable to go tight and presses the contacts closed. I believe the switch probably just goes bad with age. Possibly cracks and lets moisture or corrosion inside causing the contacts to short closed all the time. Or the spring gets weak with use and age. BTW, you only have to unplug one of the wires - either one, doesn't matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts