Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How does the Kingpin compare to the new lineup?

9K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  GatorJoe 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a used Kingpin, 2012. Just curious if you guys think I should get it or look at one of the bikes in the new lineup. I've driven a Vegas which is good but I need my floorboards. I would also add saddlebags and a windshield to it. I like the fenders and floorboards on the KP so I would just add a windshield and some bags and be good to go.

Any recommendations?

#2 ·
I would go with the Kingpin , it has everything you just mentioned you wanted , and it still looks badass when you pull the bags off , the best of both worlds !thumb up PS I wish they never dropped it from the lineup , It was one of their best models , PERIOD .

#3 ·
I absolutely love my 2012 Kingpin! Same setup as you describe except I have touring seats. I made a day trip and was comfortable from Fayetteville to Little Rock and back. (actually past Little Rock and into Pine Bluff)

#5 ·
If a bagger ain't your bag (har har), the 'Pin is a fantastic choice. Probably the best of the steel-frame bikes, better suspension than the Boardwalk that replaced it, alloy wheels, footboards, options for luggage and windshields...yeah. That's the way I'd go...tried to steer my wife toward one a few times.

btw, welcome to the forum...I do believe we might be acquainted from that Vulcan forum place...

#9 ·
First- Have you seen one? I mean in person. Pictures have never really done the Kingpin justice.
Secondly- To quote Victory "Ride one and you'll own one".
Yes, they really are that good. They're comfy with great ergonomics for the average American male (5'9" to 6'3" or 6'4"). They look like a stylish yet mature heavy cruiser, but they can tear up the back roads like a hooligan bike. Not to mention their GVWR allows for just over 500lbs of rider, passenger and gear. Very, very few non-touring bikes can do that. Victory broke the mold with the Kingpin.

#11 ·
First, unfortunately there are very few kingpins for sale near me. The only one within a couple hours is a KP 8-ball which appears to be a 100ci 5-speed. Not sure if that's something I should look at or not.

Second, I rode a 2012 Vegas and while there were some nice things about it (power, 6th OD gear, lightweight, handling), to be honest my vulcan 900 is a more comfortable ride. I didn't like the little Vegas front wheel and the suspension did seem stiff. And on top of all that the foot pegs were giving me some hip pain. I'm not a tall guy either at 5'8" 155 lbs.

I really like the fenders on the boardwalk and the kingpin but I just don't see what justifies that big of a price for a BW.

#8 · (Edited)
How does the Kingpin compare to the new lineup?

It doesn't. Allow me to expand on that... The Kingpin has the inverted front forks, 18" wheels front (130mm tire) and rear (180mm tire), longer rear suspension than these new lowered 8-ball models with more roomy control layout, it is styled to accommodate bags without looking stupid, either footboards OR pegs will bolt right on... arguably the most competent cruiser motorcycle ever built.

What's so good about the forks? Good enough for Ducati.
What's so good about 18" wheels? You can get good speed rated radials to fit it.
The suspension travel speaks for itself (or I hope it does).
Being able to mount large bags is nice and they won't overpower the bike.

Nothing in a big twin cruiser will touch it. Solid chassis that will forgive BIG mistakes (don't ask, I'll have to lie to ya), plenty of brakes, neutral handling, geometry that makes it stable in wind and at high speeds, but it steers quicker than it has any right to.

Equally at home doing this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Pick a bag...

Or not:

#10 ·
Well freakin put HC.
The KP was always ALWAYS my favorite for all those reasons.
We soon forget the KP was Victory's tour scoot before any cross bikes.
It was also their sexy fat fender blvd cruiser.. And their big boy bike with big shocks and solid front forks but still with steel-frame low center of gravity and seat height.
It was Victory's perfect do all cruiser.
I wanted one for years.. Much more than the original squishy front end original Vegas.
It was Victory's answer at the time to the fat front tire Harley softails, and road kings.
It has the suspension and geometry unlike any other Vic's but still steel-frame light.
In many ways the kingpin put victory on the map for real.
I was sad to see it go, and hope some day they take the closest thing to it in the boardwalk, do the same inverted forks, long shock and make a nice bike awesome again.
I don't hold my breath. The cross bikes are the leap you must make unless you want a hammer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
I have the 8ball KP. It's a great bike, but I loooong for a 6spd. Also it has the shorter rear shock. But that can be easily fixed for a few dollars. I'd still pick it over a new boardwalk.

#14 · (Edited)
Just FYI for you KP fans, there's a rather sexy black low-miles 09 for sale on that 'other' club-type forum that I'm fairly sure I can't link here, in the classifieds that's extremely slick.. Been very loved on with chrome goodies. If I were in the hunt for one, I'd be all over it.

#17 ·
The Kingpin is a classic. If I had know just how good they were I would have bought one instead of my Vegas, and probably still have it.

That said, if you can't find one that suits, remember most everything swaps between the Vegas and KP since they are the same frame. A Vegas ('06 - '08) model can accept the KP floorboards, controls, and seat(s), and any of the KP or Hammer bars. I also seem to remember that the Vegas can run the KP or Hammer front end and makes a great handling bike, not that the Vegas is bad, just the narrow front tire tends to track in hwy grooves, and that short front fender sucks in the rain.

I would take a good used KP over a new Boardwalk, Judge, or Highball any day.

#20 ·
I think a nice plus is the ability to put Hammer dual discs on the front too.

My next Vic will be a KP or a XR.

#22 · (Edited)
Wasn't that long ago I saw a hoooooottttt red KP new-old-stock 2011 go on Ebay. Good luck finding one of those again. That red paint job was bangin'!

Vic really needs to reconsider a comeback. Slick new body or not on the Boardwalk, they either need to do the same forks and rear suspension on the BW, or bring back the KP. There's that much forum chatter on such a great bike. My bud Allen down in FL won't part with his.. Freakin' gorgeous old blue 100 incher that KevinX has made into a rocket.

#23 ·
Have patience and wait on a deal on a Kingpin, you'll be glad you did. I looked at mine on line for about a year before I finally saw it and rode it. After that test ride I absolutely HAD to buy that bike! Nearly a year later and I still love my KP. Ride one and you will own one, how true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.