Premium Member
186 Posts
6 years. (I got a late start)

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,669 Posts
2011 bought Honda Rebel off my aunt who got back into riding. Took the basic MSF course in April that year and off I went. :)

So I started at 27 years old, 36 now, riding 9 years.

Most in my family currently ride or did for a very long time. My dad had bikes until I was a young kid and he give up for financial reasons never got back on. I remember burning my leg on exhaust pipe. I learned not to wear shorts on a bike at a young age. My VTX is his if he gets ready for it. :)

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I started riding (legally) at age 16 in 1952. You do the math.

·
Registered
779 Posts
53 years this year...8)

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
49 years, started with a Montgomery Wards mini bike.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
50 years, starting with crappy mini bikes with Briggs n Stratton motors and the riveted leather drive belts (that used to break often), then a mates brothers trail bike was the first proper bike riding around a grass paddock, at 16 a Yamaha AT2 125cc motocross, then a Honda 50 Stepthru scooter(stop laughing!) Went on a long tour on it till the piston let go.
Then in 1980 I bought a 1979 XS650 Special Yamaha....I was hooked right from the start!
Ride to Live Liveto Ride
63 last month and no sign of growing up, (unless you count stopping drinking 21 years ago)

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
50 years, starting with crappy mini bikes with Briggs n Stratton motors and the riveted leather drive belts (that used to break often), then a mates brothers trail bike was the first proper bike riding around a grass paddock, at 16 a Yamaha AT2 125cc motocross, then a Honda 50 Stepthru scooter(stop laughing!) Went on a long tour on it till the piston let go.
Then in 1980 I bought a 1979 XS650 Special Yamaha....I was hooked right from the start!
Ride to Live Liveto Ride
63 last month and no sign of growing up, (unless you count stopping drinking 21 years ago)
I've been drinking and smoking as long as I have been riding.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
July 15, 1977, so just short of 43 years and over 400 thousand miles.

·
13,235 Posts
was no riding course when I started. Not even radial tires or mag wheels. 57 years

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
350 Honda 1968. Sold it and got a dirt bike for a few years. Bought a wrecked 360 Honda around 1975. Fixed it and used it for a few years. It got stolen. Bought a Chinese kit for a 125 cc street legal bike in 2008, upgraded to a VStar 650 in 2009, upgraded to my XCT in 2011 (2012 model). Bought a VStar 650 as an alternate ride about a year ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been riding off and on since the 70's (so 40ish years). Started with the Briggs powered mini bikes of friends and neighbors in the 70's. I learned to ride real bikes on a combination of 2-stroke dirt bikes and UJMs in the 80s. A friend got killed on a bike in the late 80s and I didn't feel like riding again until 2007. I bought a Suzuki S40 with 1/10 of a mile and put almost 25K on in 7 years. I traded it for the Vision.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts