Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered mine with the lights and speakers. The Fedex guy came on Saturday but nobody was here to sign for them so I have to wait until Tuesday now which is kind of a bummer. Im looking forward to getting them installed asap. Which brings me to another question...for those of us who have purchased these....what color are you planning on painting them? Im debating on just painting them white (color match the bike) or trying something unique. Just curious what others plan to do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Be sure to post photos when you have them installed.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bet!thumb up

·
Registered
243 Posts
mine are suppose to come in on monday. If if get them i will post pics for everyone to see.
I'm having the same debate that you are about what to do. I have a bro n law that is great at air brush. At the end of the day my guess is that I will go with black........I don't want to retract from the bike. I've been thinking of putting them on as they are and give myself more time on making that decision.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine were shipped on Wednesday USPS to Canada.
I hope to see them sometime this week.
Will install stock and paint them (black) in the winter.
Looking forward to see how they work with KlockWerks shield.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I finalized my order on July 11. Not sure when they will ship.

I just purchased the lowers with light kit add on.

My XC is black, so planning on just finding a good quality gloss back spray paint and painting them myself.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got my lowers today from the fedex store and dropped them off to be painted. The shop I am using is pretty busy I guess so I wont have them until next week which is a bit of a let down I guess. I have never had anything painted before so I wasn't sure what to expect in the way of price so I will just come out and ask...Is $300 waaaayy high for a job like this? I went to two places...one was the above mentioned $300 and the other was well over $800! I damn near fell out of my chair! I didn't shop around anymore after that. I know the guy doing them now does good work so I suppose I am willing to pay a little extra for that but I am not sure if I am getting the shaft or not. What do you guys expect to pay?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my lowers today from the fedex store and dropped them off to be painted. The shop I am using is pretty busy I guess so I wont have them until next week which is a bit of a let down I guess. I have never had anything painted before so I wasn't sure what to expect in the way of price so I will just come out and ask...Is $300 waaaayy high for a job like this? I went to two places...one was the above mentioned $300 and the other was well over $800! I damn near fell out of my chair! I didn't shop around anymore after that. I know the guy doing them now does good work so I suppose I am willing to pay a little extra for that but I am not sure if I am getting the shaft or not. What do you guys expect to pay?
$300 for lowers seems a lot high. $800 did you go see Dubs? My brother just had his VTX painted. Two fenders and a tank with a major dent repaired in the tank. $450. Custom painters will charge custom prices for a price match and simple paint job I guess.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
$300 for lowers seems a lot high. $800 did you go see Dubs? My brother just had his VTX painted. Two fenders and a tank with a major dent repaired in the tank. $450. Custom painters will charge custom prices for a price match and simple paint job I guess.
IMHO....$300 seems fair. Your color matching which is the White pearl paint. Not cheap and not easy. Besides if they are any good, there is a lot of work in prepping items to be painted. The shop most likely needed to purchase the paint, I doubt they had the color match in stock. All the prep and pre sanding, then prime, more sanding, then prime and sand again. Then start color shots, if you have them 2 tone painting it to match up with the bike, then there is a light clear, tapeing, 2nd color, couple coats of clear. Let it all set up then there is the final Color Sanding and polishing. There is a lot of work in a good paint job. Yes in my opinion $300 is reasonable.

I have painted a few fairings and other items. It is a ton of work if you want a good looking final finish. I will not paint things for somebody else, it is too much work and I would have to be paid enough to make it worth my while. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to let somebody else paint my stuff, but alas, I don't have the moola so I do the work myself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
IMHO....$300 seems fair. Your color matching which is the White pearl paint. Not cheap and not easy. Besides if they are any good, there is a lot of work in prepping items to be painted. The shop most likely needed to purchase the paint, I doubt they had the color match in stock. All the prep and pre sanding, then prime, more sanding, then prime and sand again. Then start color shots, if you have them 2 tone painting it to match up with the bike, then there is a light clear, tapeing, 2nd color, couple coats of clear. Let it all set up then there is the final Color Sanding and polishing. There is a lot of work in a good paint job. Yes in my opinion $300 is reasonable.

I have painted a few fairings and other items. It is a ton of work if you want a good looking final finish. I will not paint things for somebody else, it is too much work and I would have to be paid enough to make it worth my while. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to let somebody else paint my stuff, but alas, I don't have the moola so I do the work myself.
And isn't victory paint a little more expensive because you can only get it from them?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And isn't victory paint a little more expensive because you can only get it from them?
My local dealer is Honda East and they were going to sell it to me at the discounted rate of $88/qt. Oh and you need two quarts at least. There is a base and then the pearl. The original price was $103/qt! I told this to the shop doing mine now and he said that while paint isn't cheap, it isn't THAT expensive either.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
lowers

ordered mine and arrived within 5 days on preorder. arrived at 1000 for lowers and brackets at 1200 same day. packed very nicely and no damage. ordered lowers and locking doors. will paint and put on bike within next 4 weeks. jtd has very good customer service and shipping very pleased with john at jtd

·
Registered
65 Posts
wind management

I am interested in how these help with buffeting at speed, specifically for folks that have the stock short windshield. I really like the looks of these but I am trying to figure out where the best money is spent first, lowers or windscreen. I may get both but there will certainly be a gap in time between the two. Your help is much appreciated gentlemen! cheers

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
I'm curious to hear how well these work. I like the idea of keeping the forged bars due to their unique look and better protection and the JTD lowers do look nice. On the other hand if they don't work any better than the factory lowers w/glove boxes/power port; I don't see any financial benefit other than not needed to buy the tube crash bars and the ability to use the forged bars which is probably the point of going with the JTD lowers in the first place. :)

We should start hearing more reports on these soon. Wish I could afford to buy a basic set to try them out for myself. I've just got too much wrapped up in the factory lowers to go that route now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm curious to hear how well these work. I like the idea of keeping the forged bars due to their unique look and better protection and the JTD lowers do look nice. On the other hand if they don't work any better than the factory lowers w/glove boxes/power port; I don't see any financial benefit other than not needed to buy the tube crash bars and the ability to use the forged bars which is probably the point of going with the JTD lowers in the first place. :)

We should start hearing more reports on these soon. Wish I could afford to buy a basic set to try them out for myself. I've just got too much wrapped up in the factory lowers to go that route now.
financially you are correct, after painting you will pay close to the same. Aesthetically, I prefer the sleek look of the jtd lowers vs the bulkiness of the victory lowers. I'm very interested to see how they handle on the road ie cutting thru the air or pushing thru air.

·
Registered
573 Posts
ordered mine and arrived within 5 days on preorder. arrived at 1000 for lowers and brackets at 1200 same day. packed very nicely and no damage. ordered lowers and locking doors. will paint and put on bike within next 4 weeks. jtd has very good customer service and shipping very pleased with john at jtd
I am not familiar with these. If they are $1200 plus paint they are waaay more expensive than the factory lowers, not counting the hassle, uncertainty on paint, and lack of warranty (by this I am presuming that after you spend $2-300 to paint them, it is sorta diffficult to return them or sell aftermarket?). Why not just get the factory ones? $1200 or less, factory painted, and easy to return (at least to Honda Toledo) or resell?

What am I missing? I did a brief search and didn't find much other than that they were available.

thx

greg

·
Registered
573 Posts
I went on their web site...looks like they were using the round bars, not forged crash bars? Couldn't tell the price.

If they use the forged crash bars will the fairing wind vents work? These are important re: the buffeting!

Their comment on the site I found was that only aftermarket could do good paint? Huh? (Great excuse if I am reading correctly, sounds like one of the aftermarket windshield guys (Gustafson) who seems to think only the aftermarket can drill holes:D

I am guessing the price must be substantially cheaper than the factory? I didn't think anyone was as pricey as Victory for aftermarket stuff:(

http://jtdcycleparts.com/Hard-Lowers-for-Victory-Motorcycles_c6.htm

·
Registered
80 Posts
My lowers came unpainted as do they all.
Their wording is to suggest that you can get them painted locally.
As was mentioned the packing was perfect,
The instructions were just fine,
labeling on the brackets was a nice touch and made it easy,
customer service is splened, very very nice husband and wife team,
Intro price was like $500 for lowers w/ locking compartment rears.
options that increase the price are lights and or speakers with or without plug and play wiring harness.
Hope this clears up that part of the confusion.

Now for buffeting, and this is just my opinion,
I do not work for or ..... blah blah

I am 5"11 with 30" inseam. Have been plagued by buffeting as have most. I started with stock screen then added the Ness lowers.
Then went with a bailey. Some improvident but not enough.
Added the new lowers, and went back to the stock screen.

And I just didn't believe it. Now I only took it for a hi way blast once, and found no air movement between me and the dash area.
I did have clean air hitting the top of my helmet as one would expect.
Next I want to pull the Ness lowers of and see what happens.
I would expect Ma Vic to get off the pot.
I wish these were out sooner
Cudos to JTD.

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
:worthless without:

·
Registered
143 Posts
The JTD lowers are still in the pre-order/early production phase, so options and details are not listed on their web site yet. If you contact them they may still offer the pre-order deal that went out to a number of people that were on their email list. I didn't get the initial email, but when I asked if I could still get in on the deal, I did.

I paid just under $500 for the lowers with light kit, shipped - no storage compartment or speakers. Cheaper than the Vic lowers and don't have to remove the forged bars. I plan on painting them myself, at least for the moment. I may check into having them painted, but will not pay another $300 or more for that. My brother may have someone who can do it for cheaper, but waiting to get mine before deciding.

There are other threads with more details and a review from the person whos bike was used to develop them and they sound great from what I have read in these other threads.

Cheers,
Randy

1 - 20 of 76 Posts