Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of interest, as mines at 87,000 miles and still holding well in spite of a few dragstrip launches.
Just priced a new set of plates and about fell over $445 USD / $485 shipped to Aust.
Thats $656 Aust...
For a clutch "kit"....just talking to Paulie to see what a kit comprises, I only really want the plates.
Ok "kit" is steels and frictions, thats it...
Do guys,..what did you get outta your originals?
Throw some high numbers at me please so I can try to better them.
(Yeah I know I just spent $860 on race rubber and rims for the Buick)

Ok what did you get outta yr clutch.
People that maintain em I mean,
We all heard the horror stories of unmaintained clutches...

·
Registered
433 Posts
On the Buells its about 30 K but that with the stock ball bearing plate. I think some people claim around 60k on other bikes. That's a lot of money for some fucking plates. I stuck a Barnett kit in mine for around $100. I would guess 40k on that for better fibers and no grenade plate. Sounds like a tariff or money exchange problem. You people need to revolt the Aus gov.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Buells its about 30 K but that with the stock ball bearing plate. I think some people claim around 60k on other bikes. That's a lot of money for some fucking plates. I stuck a Barnett kit in mine for around $100. I would guess 40k on that for better fibers and no grenade plate. Sounds like a tariff or money exchange problem. You people need to revolt the Aus gov.
Read my post again.
Note my miles that miles not kms
Note the USD price.
It you blokes that need the revolution.
Ok others with Victories
How many miles?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
57,000+ miles so far.

Motorbikerx still have the stocker in my XR with 57K+ miles. It does get a little grabby in the hot summers here in the desert. Have almost ordered the Barnett. Really can not afford it right now. Almost due for an oil change again maybe that will help, possibly. Just try to a keep as little freeplay in the clutch lever as possible. Also this summer I have got a small cooling fan running, blowing over the oil cooler and back onto the engine. Cooling fan only comes on when I have the brakes on, so sitting at the lights or stop signs it comes on via a relay. Little fan does seem to help some compared to last summer when I did not run one. One guy I know with a Vision actually has the clutch tool so when I do change out the clutch hopefully I can borrow it. Also the Barnett clutch steels will go in ether way, the factory Victory steels are directional from them stamping them out they have a lip on one side I heard, the Barnett steels are the same on both sides. Heard this from the guy who has the clutch tool. They actually called the Barnett factory and asked about the direction thing, guess it was in the manual. Oh yes a beautiful 115F in Arizona today. Tomorrow suppose to be a little warmer....oh boy.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Not sure of the exact millage, But I have done mine twice and need to do it this week. The factory set worked fine until I did the RLaP course. After class #4 it began to slip on the way home. #2 factory plates failed on the way home from a ProRider class. #3 Barnett plates worked fine for about 4 years but failed after Pro Rider class #2 which I did about a month ago. I needed to adjust it twice after class as it was obvious that the free play was getting small. The new set will be Barnett again. I have 130,800 miles now.
What a ride back from the National Victory Rally in Grayling MI. It had slipped a few times during hard acceleration on the rally rides. It was adjusted properly so I knew the plates were toasted. I had a few minor slips on the ride back, but approaching the Cumberland Gap area we were doing about 85-90 through the mountains and it began to slip badly. The last 200 miles, out of 850, if got worse and I had to keep going slower to keep it from slipping. When I got off the interstate I was down to about 50 in 4th gear and had to watch the tach closely to avoid slipping. I took the least hilly roads from the interstate knowing there is one nasty hill on my unmaintained dirt road which could be a problem. All gears were slipping by then.
I approached the hill in 1st at about 25 mph and she felt like a bucking bronco going up, but she did it. YAY! The new plates will be here by the weekend.

·
Registered
701 Posts
53,000 on stock clutch with Easy Pull for the last 45,000. Ride easy. Only one really hard launch. Travel two up with luggage 80% of the time. Clutch is still solid. Over the last 45 years I've learned how to make clutches last, for the most part, the life of the bikes I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread somewhere but when my bike is cold, I can get a squeal out of the clutch that sounds like a tire squeal when pulling away from a stop light during the first mile or so. Only coming from a stop. When the bike warms up, it doesn't happen unless I REALLY pull hard from a stop. It's not very loud, but you can hear it. Bike has 44,300 miles.

What are the symptoms of a bad clutch? I was tossing around the idea of putting Barnett plates in there for about $140. Alto Red Eagle also makes some for about $105 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alto-Red-Eagle-Clutch-Kit-for-2001-2013-Victory-Motorcycles-Alto-095758-59/302440746346

·
Registered
891 Posts
When you think about it, mileage has nothing to do with the life of a clutch. How many times you use it and how well you use it is a truer measurement of its life span.

I don't ride in the city so I'm shifting a lot less than someone who needs to spend time in stop and go traffic for a good part of their trip on their way to the highway. They are possibly shifting at slow speeds and slipping every couple of minutes. Those of us on the highway are possibly shifting a couple of times an hour and at speed.

If you spend a lot of time in the city and need to be able to turn 20 foot circles for some reason then you're going to go through clutches. The police type riding sessions are good for those guys but how many of us really spend 100% of our time in slow tight situations. Cops do and need to practice but realize, they don't pay for their clutches. I helped with the setup of a police rodeo and there were more than a couple of clutch problems. Voluntary, but it's still abuse (or rough use if you prefer) of the parts so they will go through more.

Also, we all know that there are people out there who just do a bad job at shifting properly or getting up to speed from a stop. I don't see much of that because of where I ride but I certainly see, and hear it when in car around town. You can't measure the clutch's life span when abuse is a factor.

You might be able to use mileage as a reference for discussions but it's not anything to base expectations on.

PS. Symptoms of a bad clutch - noise, juddering, revving under load or similar problems when the clutch is properly adjusted.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When you think about it, mileage has nothing to do with the life of a clutch. How many times you use it and how well you use it is a truer measurement of its life span.

I don't ride in the city so I'm shifting a lot less than someone who needs to spend time in stop and go traffic for a good part of their trip on their way to the highway. They are possibly shifting at slow speeds and slipping every couple of minutes. Those of us on the highway are possibly shifting a couple of times an hour and at speed.

If you spend a lot of time in the city and need to be able to turn 20 foot circles for some reason then you're going to go through clutches. The police type riding sessions are good for those guys but how many of us really spend 100% of our time in slow tight situations. Cops do and need to practice but realize, they don't pay for their clutches. I helped with the setup of a police rodeo and there were more than a couple of clutch problems. Voluntary, but it's still abuse (or rough use if you prefer) of the parts so they will go through more.

Also, we all know that there are people out there who just do a bad job at shifting properly or getting up to speed from a stop. I don't see much of that because of where I ride but I certainly see, and hear it when in car around town. You can't measure the clutch's life span when abuse it the factor.

You might be able to use mileage as a reference for discussions but it's not anything to base expectations on.

PS. Symptoms of a bad clutch - noise, juddering, revving under load or similar problems when the clutch is properly adjusted.
My clutch is fine at 87,000 miles, just thinking ahead It obviously wont last forever, just need some ideas on it...
I dont do all the circle work clutch slipping, I ride for pleasure, Im not hard on the clutch, its in or out most of the time.

What are the Alto Red Eagle clutches like?
Also wonder if my Barnett Scorpion plates might fit the stock clutch?

·
13,003 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If its not broke...what don't you go and do?? fix it.....
Exactly.
My mom's old car ran great.
Transmission fluid was never changed and close to 200k. So changed it and killed it. Lol

I think OP is more interested in getting the parts while they are available though.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If its not broke dont fix it.....

Yeah mate, my sentiments exactly!
Just Kev the mechanic at the dealers who I trust, had my clutch apart when my bike was in for insurance work after that old fool u turned and hit me.
He was looking to see why my clutch is so damned heavy!...its got Barnett billet cover plste and heavy spring.
Kev ( who I trust) said the billet cover plate is all marked up from severe dragstrip launches we presume
Theres a brand new chrome primary sitting on the shelf up there which needs to be fitted by them under insurance.
Kev said while hes in there if I want to replace the worn cover plate itd be the time to do it .
Now I have the stock cover plate and stock green spring right here in a box so Im gonna get Kev to fit it for me.
If plates werent so expensive it would seem to me to make sense to fit em ahead of time and know for certain the primary wouldnt need to come off again for another 100,000 or more miles.
Surely someone can see my logic...
Anyone whos had a worn out clutch miles from home will know they donr last long once they get to and past the point of slipping.
No its not broke but common sense would have me freshen it up while I have a chance

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ah okay that makes more sense.
I was thinking you just gonna open it up and change when all is running well.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
MBX, I had to nurse mine for about 250 miles Monday and Tuesday. Once they get to slipping, Ya gutta watch that tach and make sure it slips as little as possible. If I hadn't nursed it would be in Tennessee now instead of my garage. 20 more miles and it would have failed completely.

·
Registered
613 Posts
67000 KMS - 41631 miles and still on original...8)

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
433 Posts
If its not broke dont fix it.....

Anyone whos had a worn out clutch miles from home will know they donr last long once they get to and past the point of slipping.
No its not broke but common sense would have me freshen it up while I have a chance
I am a little more surprised you cant find fault with the basket. The basket is not grooved or has deep ridges from the plates? You trust no binding on the basket for another 100 k? Shocking!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts