Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Belt change strategies?

• I change the belt according to spec. (30,000)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • belt broke or changed between 30,000-35,000

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Belt broke or changed between 35,000-40,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40,000+ and still cruising

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the search. There was a lot of discussion when cross bikes were new about belt life. What say you now? How long are your belts lasting before breaking? How many of you are just following the book and changing at 30,000?

·
13,047 Posts
my 99 road glide whent 110 thousand on stock belt. Its made at the same place that Vic's is Gates with the same kevlar cord windings. On a vision form there are a half a dozen guys in the 80 thousand range.
Why does harle run a 1/2 inch narrower belt then us. They launched just as hard as we do and the produce good horse power.
Victory is just try to screw us out of our money:mad:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
When my 2012 XCT was at 43,000 miles, I had to take it in for repair of the starter clutch. Since it was in the shop and waiting for parts, and because I was going out of the country for ten days, I had the shop replace the belt and the front fork oil.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thats what I like to hear:)
Only 66,500 kms on mine so far, the last 25,000 of them with a central pea size rock hole.
Ride On.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think inspecting the belt on a regular basis is important. No cracks, no damage...no worries!cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
No option for those of us with a newer bike. 18,650 as of today and counting...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No option for those of us with a newer bike. 18,650 as of today and counting...
I appreciate you checking in. My hope is every bike gets to at least 30,000 miles on the drive belt as the only mention of replacing it in the service interval occurs at 30,000. If it broke before 30,000 miles we'd want to know about that as well. Thankfully I haven't seen any posts like that regarding the newer bikes.

Great looking bike by the way. Blue is the fastest color!

·
Registered
679 Posts
my 99 road glide whent 110 thousand on stock belt. Its made at the same place that Vic's is Gates with the same kevlar cord windings. On a vision form there are a half a dozen guys in the 80 thousand range.
Why does harle run a 1/2 inch narrower belt then us. They launched just as hard as we do and the produce good horse power.
Victory is just try to screw us out of our money:mad:
coming from the man that says water boile @280* I would think you mean more like 160K thumb upcheers

·
13,047 Posts
coming from the man that says water boile @280* I would think you mean more like 160K thumb upcheers
I said I was wrong what more do you want smart ass
Besides only a fool would change a belt thats not broke
so why does harley run a narrower belt and Vic's don't

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I said I was wrong what more do you want smart ass
Besides only a fool would change a belt thats not broke
so why does harley run a narrower belt and Vic's don't
Only a fool?
Little harsh don't you think?
One person who took the survey did change his belt at 30,000 miles. The manual states that it is supposed to be done at 30,000 miles. These bikes are not cheap and dealerships are few and far between. So faced with the dilema of should I pay $300 (200 for belt plus 100 labor) to change my belt now or spend the extra cost of towing plus wife's complaints, (priceless) to do it later?

I don't fault him for taking option A. I was going to choose option A as well until I saw the responses from this thread.
Now I am thinking of a third option:
Check my belt tension and wear regularly and carry a belt on long trips. Also learn how to change the belt myself.
Besides, I looks like I've got time. No one so far has had a belt break at less than 40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
13,319 Posts
Changing a belt on a Vic is easy compared to a Harley. Can be done on the side of the road easily. Preferably in the shade on a hot day though.

If memory serves it's a matter of moving the rear exhaust out of the way enough to get at the front pulley cover to remove it. Put the belt on and tighten everything back up and go after adjusting the belt as well as possible. Then get somewhere to adjust it right by getting the back wheel off the ground. Recheck in 50 and 500 miles.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't wait until my tires blow out before I change them. Too dangerous and inconvenient. I'll do the same inspections on the belt and when I notice signs of deterioration from use, abuse, oxygen and sunlight, I'll change it out. 30K seems a bit low but until I won't know until I make that decision. I also imagine that each of our riding style, amount of riding per year, storage conditions and environment will make our numbers a bit different. Do the proper checks and we'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts